Browse/search for people
Dr Tom Scott
Dr Tom Scott
Royal Academy of Engineering Senior Research Fellow in Actinide Metallurgy
MSci Hons(Bristol), PhD
Area of research
Geochemistry and Metallurgy of uranium
Geochemistry and Metallurgy of uranium - specialising in the oxidation/corrosion behaviour of uranium, and methods for its environmental remediation. Active interests also include the geochemistry of iron and iron bearing minerals (PhD Specialisation) for the uptake and environmental remediation of heavy metals and radionuclides. This extends to a developed interest in the corrosion and microstructural ageing behaviour of structural materials (300 series steels) in reactor and storage environments. Research has been funded in association with the AWE, CERN, Sellafield and EDF Energy (HTC) with complementary funding from EPSRC, NERC, NATO and the Royal Society.
- Payton, O, Picco, L & Scott, T, 2016, High-speed atomic force microscopy for materials science. International Materials Reviews.
- Martin, PG, Scott, TB, Payton, OD, Richards, DA, Yamashiki, Y & Fardoulis, JS, 2016, Low-Altitude Unmanned Aerial Vehicles as a Tool for the Remediation of Radiologically Contaminated Environments., pp. 1-13
- Martin, PG, Kwong, S, Smith, N, Yamashiki, Y, Payton, OD, Russell-Pavier, F, Fardoulis, J, Richards, D & Scott, T, 2016, 3D unmanned aerial vehicle radiation mapping for assessing contaminant distribution and mobility.. International Journal of Applied Earth Observation and Geoinformation, vol 52., pp. 12-19
- Jones, CP, Petherbridge, JR, Davis, SA, Jones, JA & Scott, TB, 2016, The crystallographic structure of the air-grown oxide on depleted uranium metal. Corrosion Science.
- Thill, PG, Scott, TB, Ager, DK, Vojnovic, B, Tesh, SJ & Thompson, IP, 2016, Hybrid biological, electron beam and zero-valent nano iron treatment of recalcitrant metalworking fluids. Water Research, vol 93., pp. 214-21
- Ortega-Calvo, J-J, Jimenez-Sanchez, C, Pratarolo, P, Pullin, H, Scott, TB & Thompson, IP, 2016, Tactic response of bacteria to zero-valent iron nanoparticles. Environmental Pollution, vol 213., pp. 438-445
- Warren, X, Ubeda, AM, Payton, O, Picco, L & Scott, T, 2016, Preparation of stainless steel surfaces for scanning probe microscopy techniques. Microscopy Today.
- Ragazzola, F, Foster, LC, Jones, CP, Scott, TB & Schmidt, DN, 2016, Impact of high CO2 on the geochemistry of the coralline algae Lithothamnion glaciale. Scientific Reports, vol 6.
- Ayre, WN, Scott, T, Hallam, K, Blom, AW, Denyer, S, Bone, HK & Mansell, JP, 2016, Fluorophosphonate-functionalised titanium via a pre-adsorbed alkane phosphonic acid: a novel dual action surface finish for bone regenerative applications. Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Medicine, vol 27., pp. 36
- Payne, L, Heard, P & Scott, T, 2015, A Study of the Oxidation Behaviour of Pile Grade A (PGA) Nuclear Graphite using Thermogravimetric Analysis (TGA), Scanning Electron Microscopy (SEM) and X-Ray Tomography (XRT). PLOS ONE, vol 10.
Dr Scott currently teaches 3 courses:
Edit this profile If you are Dr Tom Scott, you can edit this page. Login required.