Browse/search for people
Dr Ruth Oulton
Dr Ruth Oulton
Area of research
Solid State Spin Physics and Polarization-Engineered Nanophotonics for Quantum Technologies
5th June: Our poster won first prize in the competition at the International Conference on Orbital Angular Momentum.
27th March: Our recent Phys. Rev. Letter was featured in Nature Photonics News and Views
I am an EPSRC Career Acceleration Fellow in the Centre for Quantum Photonics, and hold a proleptic lectureship in Physics and Electrical and Electronic Engineering. My research interests centre around the use of solid-state quantum emitters that interact with light, for quantum technology applications.
I am Principle Investigator and Co Investigator of several research grants which cover a range of research interests:
- EPSRC Career Acceleration Fellowship: "Nuclear Nanomagnets for Quantum Optical Spin Devices"
- PI of EU FP7 Future and Emerging Technologies collaboration grant "Spin Photon Angular Momentum Transfer for Quantum Enabled Technologies" (SPANGL4Q).
- Co-I of CHIST-ERA collaboration grant "Solid-State Quantum Networks" (SSQN)
- I have also very recently received a New Directions for EPSRC Research Leaders Award, on "Biomimetics for Quantum Optics".
"Waves" part of "Waves and Optics" course for the foundation Physics 1E/1P course.
Final Year Projects:
Final year project and dissertation students in Physics
Final year and MSc project students in Electrical and Electronic Engineering
- Quantum Dots
- Quantum Technologies
- Quantum Optics
- Optical Spectroscopy
- light-matter interactions
- quantum electro-dynamics in solid-state systems.
- Nunez-Sanchez, S, Garcia, ML, Murshidy, MM, Abdel-Hady, AG, Serry, MY, Adawi, AM, Rarity, J, Oulton, R & Barnes, WL, 2016, Excitonic Optical Tamm States: a first step for a fully-plastic era in the photonic technology: New Horizons in Nanophotonics, Theo Murphy Meeting, The Royal Society, UK.
- Nunez-Sanchez, S, Garcia, ML, Murshidy, MM, Abdel-Hady, AG, Serry, M, Adawi, AM, Rarity, J, Oulton, R & Barnes, WL, 2016, Excitonic Optical Tamm States: A step towards a full molecular-dielectric photonic integration. ACS Photonics.
- Lang, B, Beggs, DM & Oulton, R, 2016, Time reversal constraint limits unidirectional photon emission in slow-light photonic crystals. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London, A.
- Chen, L, Taverne, MPC, Zheng, X, Lin, J-D, Oulton, R, Garcia, ML, Ho, D & Rarity, J, 2015, Evidence of near-infrared partial photonic bandgap in polymeric rod-connected diamond structures. Optics Express, vol 23., pp. 26565-26575
- Nunez-Sanchez, S, Lopez-Garcia, M, Murshidy, M, Abdel-Hady, AG, Serry, MY, Rarity, J, Adawi, A, Oulton, R & Barnes, WL, 2015, Heavily dye-doped polymers allow Tamm Optical States between a periodic structure and an excitonic organic layer: META’15, The 6th International Conference on Metamaterials, Photonic Crystals and Plasmonics, New York, USA.
- Young, A, Thijssen, A, Beggs, D, Androvitsaneas, P, Kuipers, L, Rarity, J, Hughes, S & Oulton, R, 2015, Polarization engineering in photonic crystal waveguides for spin-photon entanglers. Physical Review Letters, vol 115.
- Lang, B, Beggs, DM, Young, AB, Rarity, J & Oulton, R, 2015, Stability of polarization singularities in disordered photonic crystal waveguides. Physical Review A, vol 92.
- Wilby, D, Toomey, M, Olsson, P, Frederiksen, R, Cornwall, C, Oulton, R, Kelber, A, Corbo, J & Roberts, N, 2015, Optics of cone photoreceptors in the chicken (Gallus gallus domesticus). Journal of the Royal Society Interface, vol 12.
- Garcia, ML, Ho, Y-D, Taverne, MPC, Chen, L, Murshidy, MM, Edwards, AP, Serry, MY, Adawi, AM, Rarity, JG & Oulton, R, 2014, Efficient out-coupling and beaming of Tamm optical states via surface plasmon polariton excitation. Applied Physics Letters, vol 104.
- Zou, L, Garcia, ML, Withayachumnankul, W, Shah, A, Bhaskaran, M, Sriram, S, Oulton, R, Klemm, M & Fumeaux, C, 2014, Spectral and angular characteristics of dielectric resonator metasurface at optical frequencies. Applied Physics Letters, vol 105.
Edit this profile If you are Dr Ruth Oulton, you can edit this page. Login required.