Browse/search for people
Dr Ruth Oulton
Dr Ruth Oulton
Area of research
Solid State Spin Physics and Polarization-Engineered Nanophotonics for Quantum Technologies
I am a senior lecturer and former EPSRC Career Acceleration Fellow in the Centre for Quantum Photonics, in Physics and Electrical and Electronic Engineering. My research interests centre around the use of solid-state quantum emitters that interact with light, for quantum technology applications.
I am Principle Investigator and Co Investigator of several research grants which cover a range of research interests:
"Waves" part of "Waves and Optics" course for the foundation Physics 1E/1P course.
Final Year Projects:
Final year project and dissertation students in Physics
Final year and MSc project students in Electrical and Electronic Engineering
- Quantum Dots
- Quantum Technologies
- Quantum Optics
- Optical Spectroscopy
- light-matter interactions
- quantum electro-dynamics in solid-state systems.
- Androvitsaneas, P, Young, A, Schneiderg, C, Maier, S, Kamp, M, Hofling, S, Knauer, S, Harbord, E, Hu, C, Rarity, J & Oulton, R, 2016, A charged quantum dot micropillar system for deterministic light matter interactions. Physical Review B.
- Nunez-Sanchez, S, Garcia, ML, Murshidy, MM, Abdel-Hady, AG, Serry, M, Adawi, AM, Rarity, J, Oulton, R & Barnes, WL, 2016, Excitonic Optical Tamm States: A Step toward a Full Molecular-Dielectric Photonic Integration. ACS Photonics.
- Lang, B, Beggs, DM & Oulton, R, 2016, Time reversal constraint limits unidirectional photon emission in slow-light photonic crystals. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London, A.
- Nunez-Sanchez, S, Garcia, ML, Murshidy, MM, Abdel-Hady, AG, Serry, MY, Adawi, AM, Rarity, J, Oulton, R & Barnes, WL, 2016, Excitonic Optical Tamm States: a first step for a fully-plastic era in the photonic technology: New Horizons in Nanophotonics, Theo Murphy Meeting, The Royal Society, UK.
- Chen, L, Taverne, MPC, Zheng, X, Lin, J-D, Oulton, R, Garcia, ML, Ho, D & Rarity, J, 2015, Evidence of near-infrared partial photonic bandgap in polymeric rod-connected diamond structures. Optics Express, vol 23., pp. 26565-26575
- Nunez-Sanchez, S, Lopez-Garcia, M, Murshidy, M, Abdel-Hady, AG, Serry, MY, Rarity, J, Adawi, A, Oulton, R & Barnes, WL, 2015, Heavily dye-doped polymers allow Tamm Optical States between a periodic structure and an excitonic organic layer: META’15, The 6th International Conference on Metamaterials, Photonic Crystals and Plasmonics, New York, USA.
- Young, A, Thijssen, A, Beggs, D, Androvitsaneas, P, Kuipers, L, Rarity, J, Hughes, S & Oulton, R, 2015, Polarization engineering in photonic crystal waveguides for spin-photon entanglers. Physical Review Letters, vol 115.
- Lang, B, Beggs, DM, Young, AB, Rarity, J & Oulton, R, 2015, Stability of polarization singularities in disordered photonic crystal waveguides. Physical Review A, vol 92.
- Wilby, D, Toomey, M, Olsson, P, Frederiksen, R, Cornwall, C, Oulton, R, Kelber, A, Corbo, J & Roberts, N, 2015, Optics of cone photoreceptors in the chicken (Gallus gallus domesticus). Journal of the Royal Society Interface, vol 12.
- Garcia, ML, Ho, Y-D, Taverne, MPC, Chen, L, Murshidy, MM, Edwards, AP, Serry, MY, Adawi, AM, Rarity, JG & Oulton, R, 2014, Efficient out-coupling and beaming of Tamm optical states via surface plasmon polariton excitation. Applied Physics Letters, vol 104.
Edit this profile If you are Dr Ruth Oulton, you can edit this page. Login required.