Browse/search for people
Dr Ruth Oulton
Dr Ruth Oulton
Area of research
Solid State Spin Physics and Polarization-Engineered Nanophotonics for Quantum Technologies
I am a senior lecturer and former EPSRC Career Acceleration Fellow in the Centre for Quantum Photonics, in Physics and Electrical and Electronic Engineering. My research interests centre around the use of solid-state quantum emitters that interact with light, for quantum technology applications.
I am Principle Investigator and Co Investigator of several research grants which cover a range of research interests:
- EPSRC Quantum Technologies Fellow: "Project 1D QED" EP/N003381/1: a 5 year fellowship to create useable single photon sources and quantum photonic switching technology.
- PI of EPSRC Standard Grant "SPIN SPACE" EP/M024156/1, a collaboration with the University of Essex where we will combine single photon sources and semiconductor spin lasers in a multicore fibre platform.
"Waves" part of "Waves and Optics" course for the foundation Physics 1E/1P course.
Final Year Projects:
Final year project and dissertation students in Physics
Final year and MSc project students in Electrical and Electronic Engineering
- Quantum Dots
- Quantum Technologies
- Quantum Optics
- Optical Spectroscopy
- light-matter interactions
- quantum electro-dynamics in solid-state systems.
- Lang, B, Oulton, R & Beggs, D, 2017, Optimised photonic crystal waveguide for chiral light–matter interactions. Journal of Optics, vol 19.
- Salewski, M, Poltavtsev, SV, Kapitonov, YV, Vondran, J, Yakovlev, DR, Schneider, C, Kamp, M, Höfling, S, Oulton, R, Akimov, IA, Kavokin, AV & Bayer, M, 2017, Photon echoes from (In,Ga)As quantum dots embedded in a Tamm-plasmon microcavity. Physical Review B - Condensed Matter & Materials Physics, vol 95.
- Nunez-Sanchez, S, Garcia, ML, Murshidy, MM, Abdel-Hady, AG, Serry, M, Adawi, AM, Rarity, J, Oulton, R & Barnes, WL, 2016, Excitonic Optical Tamm States: A Step toward a Full Molecular-Dielectric Photonic Integration. ACS Photonics., pp. 743-748
- Jacobs, M, Garcia, ML, Phrathep, O-P, Lawson, T, Oulton, R & Whitney, H, 2016, Photonic multilayer structure of Begonia chloroplasts enhances photosynthetic efficiency. Nature Plants, vol 2.
- Lang, B, Beggs, DM & Oulton, R, 2016, Time-reversal constraint limits unidirectional photon emission in slow-light photonic crystals. Philosophical Transaction A: Mathematical, Physical and Engineering Sciences, vol 374.
- Androvitsaneas, P, Young, A, Schneiderg, C, Maier, S, Kamp, M, Hofling, S, Knauer, S, Harbord, E, Hu, C, Rarity, J & Oulton, R, 2016, Charged quantum dot micropillar system for deterministic light-matter interactions. Physical Review B, vol 93.
- Nunez-Sanchez, S, Garcia, ML, Murshidy, MM, Abdel-Hady, AG, Serry, MY, Adawi, AM, Rarity, J, Oulton, R & Barnes, WL, 2016, Excitonic Optical Tamm States: a first step for a fully-plastic era in the photonic technology: New Horizons in Nanophotonics, Theo Murphy Meeting, The Royal Society, UK.
- Nunez-Sanchez, S, Lopez-Garcia, M, Murshidy, M, Abdel-Hady, AG, Serry, MY, Rarity, J, Adawi, A, Oulton, R & Barnes, WL, 2015, Heavily dye-doped polymers allow Tamm Optical States between a periodic structure and an excitonic organic layer: META’15, The 6th International Conference on Metamaterials, Photonic Crystals and Plasmonics, New York, USA.
- Chen, L, Taverne, MPC, Zheng, X, Lin, J-D, Oulton, R, Garcia, ML, Ho, D & Rarity, J, 2015, Evidence of near-infrared partial photonic bandgap in polymeric rod-connected diamond structures. Optics Express, vol 23., pp. 26565-26575
- Wilby, D, Toomey, M, Olsson, P, Frederiksen, R, Cornwall, C, Oulton, R, Kelber, A, Corbo, J & Roberts, N, 2015, Optics of cone photoreceptors in the chicken (Gallus gallus domesticus). Journal of the Royal Society Interface, vol 12.
Edit this profile If you are Dr Ruth Oulton, you can edit this page. Login required.