Browse/search for people
Professor Mark Birkinshaw
Professor Mark Birkinshaw
William P. Coldrick Professor of Cosmology and Astrophysics
MA, PhD(Cantab), CPhys, MInstP, FRAS
I work on the large-scale structure of the Universe and the properties of the massive objects contained within it, using both observation and theory. I am particularly known for making the first detections of the change in brightness of the microwave background radiation caused by inverse-Compton scattering in clusters of galaxies (the Sunyaev-Zel'dovich effect), and in demonstrating how this effect can be used to measure cosmological parameters.
I worked on NASA's Chandra satellite before launch, and use it and other space-based and ground-based telescopes from X-ray to optical to radio bands to study galaxies, especially those hosting massive black holes and showing signs of unusual activity.
In these areas I give professional and public presentations, but I also speak and write on more general astronomical and cosmological topics.
- space science
- plasma physics
School of Physics
- Duffy, RT, Worrall, DM, Birkinshaw, M & Kraft, RP, 2016, Buoyancy-driven inflow to a relic cold core: the gas belt in radio galaxy 3C 386. Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society, vol 459., pp. 4508-4517
- Lin, K-Y, Nishioka, H, Wang, F-C, Huang, C-W, Liao, Y-W, Wu, J-H, Koch, PM, Umetsu, K, Chen, M-T, Chan, S-H, Chang, S-H, Chang, W-H, Cheng, T-A, Duy, HN, Fu, S-Y, Han, C-C, Ho, S, Ho, M-F, Ho, PTP, Huang, Y-D, Jiang, H, Kubo, DY, Li, C-T, Lin, Y-C, Liu, G-C, Martin-Cocher, P, Molnar, SM, Nunez, E, Oshiro, P, Pai, S-P, Raffin, P, Ridenour, A, Shih, C-Y, Stoebner, S, Teo, G-S, Yeh, J-L, Williams, J & Birkinshaw, M, 2016, AMiBA: Cluster Sunyaev-Zel'dovich Effect Observations with the Expanded 13-Element Array. Astrophysical Journal.
- Worrall, DM, Birkinshaw, M & Young, AJ, 2016, X-rays associated with the jet-cloud-interacting radio galaxy 3C 277.3 (Coma A): Implications for energy deposition. Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society.
- Quinn, J, Jackson, N, Tagore, A, Biggs, A, Birkinshaw, M, Chapman, S, Zotti, Gd, McKean, J, Perez-Fournon, I, Scott, D & Serjeant, S, 2016, A new VLA/e-MERLIN limit on central images in the gravitational lens system CLASS B1030+074. Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society.
- Mirakhor, MSK & Birkinshaw, M, 2016, The gas distribution in the high-redshift cluster MS 1054-0321. Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society, vol 457., pp. 2918-2928
- Lew, B, Birkinshaw, M, Wilkinson, P & Kus, A, 2015, Simulations of cm-wavelength Sunyaev-Zel'dovich galaxy cluster and point source blind sky surveys and predictions for the RT32/OCRA-f and the Hevelius 100-m radio telescope. Journal of Cosmology and Astroparticle Physics, vol 2015.
- Gentry, ES, Marshall, HL, Hardcastle, MJ, Perlman, ES, Birkinshaw, M, Worrall, DM, Lenc, E, Siemiginowska, A & Urry, CM, 2015, OPTICAL DETECTION OF THE PICTOR A JET AND TIDAL TAIL: EVIDENCE AGAINST AN IC/CMB JET. The Astrophysical Journal, vol 808.
- Rawes, J, Worrall, DM & Birkinshaw, M, 2015, Discovery of an optical and X-ray synchrotron jet in NGC 7385. Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society, vol 452., pp. 3064-3072
- Kolokythas, K, O'Sullivan, E, Giacintucci, S, Raychaudhury, S, Ishwara-Chandra, CH, Worrall, DM & Birkinshaw, M, 2015, New insights into the evolution of the FR I radio galaxy 3C 270 (NGC 4261) from VLA and GMRT radio observations. Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society, vol 450., pp. 1732-1744
- Hardcastle, MJ, Lenc, E, Birkinshaw, M, Croston, JH, Goodger, JL, Marshall, HL, Perlman, ES, Siemiginowska, A, Stawarz, L & Worrall, DM, 2015, Deep Chandra observations of Pictor A. Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society, vol 455., pp. 3526-3545
Edit this profile If you are Professor Mark Birkinshaw, you can edit this page. Login required.