Browse/search for people
Professor Mark Birkinshaw
Professor Mark Birkinshaw
William P. Coldrick Professor of Cosmology and Astrophysics
MA, PhD(Cantab), CPhys, MInstP, FRAS
I work on the large-scale structure of the Universe and the properties of the massive objects contained within it, using both observation and theory. I am particularly known for making the first detections of the change in brightness of the microwave background radiation caused by inverse-Compton scattering in clusters of galaxies (the Sunyaev-Zel'dovich effect), and in demonstrating how this effect can be used to measure cosmological parameters.
I worked on NASA's Chandra satellite before launch, and use it and other space-based and ground-based telescopes from X-ray to optical to radio bands to study galaxies, especially those hosting massive black holes and showing signs of unusual activity.
In these areas I give professional and public presentations, but I also speak and write on more general astronomical and cosmological topics.
- space science
- plasma physics
School of Physics
- Gentry, ES, Marshall, HL, Hardcastle, MJ, Perlman, ES, Birkinshaw, M, Worrall, DM, Lenc, E, Siemiginowska, A & Urry, CM 2015, OPTICAL DETECTION OF THE PICTOR A JET AND TIDAL TAIL: EVIDENCE AGAINST AN IC/CMB JET. The Astrophysical Journal, vol 808.
- Lew, B, Birkinshaw, M, Wilkinson, P & Kus, A 2015, Simulations of cm-wavelength Sunyaev-Zel'dovich galaxy cluster and point source blind sky surveys and predictions for the RT32/OCRA-f and the Hevelius 100-m radio telescope. Journal of Cosmology and Astroparticle Physics, vol 2015.
- Kolokythas, K, O'Sullivan, E, Giacintucci, S, Raychaudhury, S, Ishwara-Chandra, CH, Worrall, DM & Birkinshaw, M 2015, New insights into the evolution of the FR I radio galaxy 3C 270 (NGC 4261) from VLA and GMRT radio observations. Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society, vol 450., pp. 1732-1744
- Hardcastle, MJ, Lenc, E, Birkinshaw, M, Croston, JH, Goodger, JL, Marshall, HL, Perlman, ES, Siemiginowska, A, Stawarz, L & Worrall, DM 2015, Deep Chandra observations of Pictor A. Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society.
- Birkinshaw, M, Worrall, DM & Bliss, A 2015, Dust heating in the cores of 3CRR radio galaxies. Proceedings of the International Astronomical Union, vol 313., pp. 294-298
- Schwartz, DA, Marshall, HL, Worrall, DM, Birkinshaw, M, Perlman, E, Lovell, JEJ, Jauncey, D, Murphy, D, Gelbord, J, Godfrey, L & Bicknell, G 2015, A survey of X-ray emission from 100 kpc radio jets. Proceedings of the International Astronomical Union, vol 10., pp. 219-224
- Rawes, J, Worrall, DM & Birkinshaw, M 2015, Discovery of an optical and X-ray synchrotron jet in NGC 7385. Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society.
- Worrall, DM & Birkinshaw, M 2015, Jet-gas interactions at crucial jet power for feedback. Extragalactic jets from every angle, Proceedings of the International Astronomical Union, IAU Symposium, Volume 313, pp. 260-265, vol 313., pp. 260-265
- Mantz, AB, Abdulla, Z, Carlstrom, JE, Greer, CH, Leitch, EM, Marrone, DP, Muchovej, S, Adami, C, Birkinshaw, M, Bremer, M, Clerc, N, Giles, P, Horellou, C, Maughan, B, Pacaud, F, Pierre, M & Willis, J 2014, The XXL survey. V. Detection of the Sunyaev-Zel'dovich effect of the redshift 1.9 Galaxy cluster XLSSU J021744.1-034536 with CARMA. Astrophysical Journal, vol 794., pp. 157-164
- Worrall, DM & Birkinshaw, M 2014, SLIDING NOT SLOSHING IN A3744: THE INFLUENCE OF RADIO GALAXIES NGC 7018 AND 7016 ON CLUSTER GAS. Astrophysical Journal, vol 784., pp. 36-48
Edit this profile If you are Professor Mark Birkinshaw, you can edit this page. Login required.