Browse/search for people
Professor Mark Birkinshaw
Professor Mark Birkinshaw
William P. Coldrick Professor of Cosmology and Astrophysics
MA, PhD(Cantab), CPhys, MInstP, FRAS
I work on the large-scale structure of the Universe and the properties of the massive objects contained within it, using both observation and theory. I am particularly known for making the first detections of the change in brightness of the microwave background radiation caused by inverse-Compton scattering in clusters of galaxies (the Sunyaev-Zel'dovich effect), and in demonstrating how this effect can be used to measure cosmological parameters.
I worked on NASA's Chandra satellite before launch, and use it and other space-based and ground-based telescopes from X-ray to optical to radio bands to study galaxies, especially those hosting massive black holes and showing signs of unusual activity.
In these areas I give professional and public presentations, but I also speak and write on more general astronomical and cosmological topics.
- space science
- plasma physics
School of Physics
- Lanz, L, Bliss, A, Kraft, RP, Birkinshaw, M, Lal, DV, Forman, WR, Jones, C & Worrall, DM 2015, The Infrared Jet in 3C31. The Astrophysical Journal, vol 731., pp. 52-61
- Mantz, AB, Abdulla, Z, Carlstrom, JE, Greer, CH, Leitch, EM, Marrone, DP, Muchovej, S, Adami, C, Birkinshaw, M, Bremer, M, Clerc, N, Giles, P, Horellou, C, Maughan, B, Pacaud, F, Pierre, M & Willis, J 2014, The XXL survey. V. Detection of the Sunyaev-Zel'dovich effect of the redshift 1.9 Galaxy cluster XLSSU J021744.1-034536 with CARMA. Astrophysical Journal, vol 794., pp. 157-164
- Messias, H, Dye, S, Nagar, N, Orellana, G, Bussmann, RS, Calanog, J, Dannerbauer, H, Fu, H, Ibar, E, Inohara, A, Ivison, RJ, Negrello, M, Riechers, DA, Sheen, YK, Aguirre, JE, Amber, S, Birkinshaw, M, Bourne, N, Bradford, CM, Clements, DL, Cooray, A, De Zotti, G, Demarco, R, Dunne, L, Eales, S, Fleuren, S, Kamenetzky, J, Lupu, RE, Maddox, SJ, Marrone, DP, Michałowski, MJ, Murphy, EJ, Nguyen, HT, Omont, A, Rowlands, K, Smith, D, Smith, M, Valiante, E & Vieira, JD 2014, Herschel-ATLAS and ALMA: HATLAS J142935.3-002836, a lensed major merger at redshift 1.027. Astronomy and Astrophysics, vol 568., pp. A92-A111
- Worrall, DM & Birkinshaw, M 2014, Sliding not sloshing in A3744: The influence of radio Galaxies NGC 7018 and 7016 on cluster gas. Astrophysical Journal, vol 784., pp. 36-48
- Giles, PA, Maughan, BJ, Hamana, T, Miyazaki, S, Birkinshaw, M, Ellis, RS & Massey, R 2014, The X-ray Properties of Weak Lensing Selected Galaxy Clusters. Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society.
- López-Cruz, O, Añorve, C, Birkinshaw, M, Worrall, DM, Ibarra-Medel, HJ, Barkhouse, WA, Torres-Papaqui, JP & Motta, V 2014, The Brightest Cluster Galaxy in Abell 85: The Largest Core Known so far. The Astrophysical Journal Letters, vol 795., pp. L31-L36
- Lew, B, Birkinshaw, M, Wilkinson, P & Kus, A 2014, Simulations of cm-wavelength Sunyaev-Zel'dovich galaxy cluster and point source blind sky surveys and predictions for the RT32/OCRA-f and the Hevelius 100-m radio telescope. Journal of Cosmology and Astroparticle Physics.
- Burke, MJ, Kraft, RP, Soria, R, Maccarone, TJ, Raychaudhury, S, Sivakoff, GR, Birkinshaw, M, Brassington, NJ, Forman, WR, Hardcastle, MJ, Jones, C, Murray, SS & Worrall, DM 2013, The fading of two transient ultraluminous x-ray sources to below the stellar mass Eddington limit. Astrophysical journal, vol 775., pp. 21-29
- Bussmann, RS, Pérez-Fournon, I, Amber, S, Calanog, J, Gurwell, MA, Dannerbauer, H, De Bernardis, F, Fu, H, Harris, AI, Krips, M, Lapi, A, Maiolino, R, Omont, A, Riechers, D, Wardlow, J, Baker, AJ, Birkinshaw, M, Bock, J, Bourne, N, Clements, DL, Cooray, A, De Zotti, G, Dunne, L, Dye, S, Eales, S, Farrah, D, Gavazzi, R, Nuevo, JG, Hopwood, R, Ibar, E, Ivison, RJ, Laporte, N, Maddox, S, Martínez-Navajas, P, Michalowski, M, Negrello, M, Oliver, SJ, Roseboom, IG, Scott, D, Serjeant, S, Smith, AJ, Smith, M, Streblyanska, A, Valiante, E, Der Werf, PV, Verma, A, Vieira, JD, Wang, L & Wilner, D 2013, Gravitational lens models based on Submillimeter Array Herschel is an ESA space observatory with science instruments provided by European-led Principal Investigator consortia and with important participation from NASA.-selected strongly lensed sub-millimeter galaxies at z > 1.5. Astrophysical journal, vol 779., pp. 25-50
- Cara, M, Perlman, ES, Uchiyama, Y, Cheung, CC, Coppi, PS, Georganopoulos, M, Worrall, DM, Birkinshaw, M, Sparks, WB, Marshall, HL, Stawarz, L, Begelman, MC, O'Dea, CP & Baum, SA 2013, Polarimetry and the high-energy emission mechanisms in quasar jets: The case of PKS 1136-135. Astrophysical journal, vol 773., pp. 186-198
Edit this profile If you are Professor Mark Birkinshaw, you can edit this page. Login required.