Browse/search for people
Professor Mark Birkinshaw
Professor Mark Birkinshaw
William P. Coldrick Professor of Cosmology and Astrophysics
MA, PhD(Cantab), CPhys, MInstP, FRAS
I work on the large-scale structure of the Universe and the properties of the massive objects contained within it, using both observation and theory. I am particularly known for making the first detections of the change in brightness of the microwave background radiation caused by inverse-Compton scattering in clusters of galaxies (the Sunyaev-Zel'dovich effect), and in demonstrating how this effect can be used to measure cosmological parameters.
I worked on NASA's Chandra satellite before launch, and use it and other space-based and ground-based telescopes from X-ray to optical to radio bands to study galaxies, especially those hosting massive black holes and showing signs of unusual activity.
In these areas I give professional and public presentations, but I also speak and write on more general astronomical and cosmological topics.
- space science
- plasma physics
School of Physics
- Worrall, DM, Birkinshaw, M & Young, AJ, 2016, X-rays associated with the jet-cloud interacting radio galaxy 3C 277.3 (Coma A): implications for energy deposition. Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society (MNRAS).
- Mirakhor, M & Birkinshaw, M, 2016, The gas distribution in the high-redshift cluster MS 1054-0321. Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society.
- Lew, B, Birkinshaw, M, Wilkinson, P & Kus, A, 2015, Simulations of cm-wavelength Sunyaev-Zel'dovich galaxy cluster and point source blind sky surveys and predictions for the RT32/OCRA-f and the Hevelius 100-m radio telescope. Journal of Cosmology and Astroparticle Physics, vol 2015.
- Rawes, J, Worrall, DM & Birkinshaw, M, 2015, Discovery of an optical and X-ray synchrotron jet in NGC 7385. Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society, vol 452., pp. 3064-3072
- Kolokythas, K, O'Sullivan, E, Giacintucci, S, Raychaudhury, S, Ishwara-Chandra, CH, Worrall, DM & Birkinshaw, M, 2015, New insights into the evolution of the FR I radio galaxy 3C 270 (NGC 4261) from VLA and GMRT radio observations. Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society, vol 450., pp. 1732-1744
- Gentry, ES, Marshall, HL, Hardcastle, MJ, Perlman, ES, Birkinshaw, M, Worrall, DM, Lenc, E, Siemiginowska, A & Urry, CM, 2015, OPTICAL DETECTION OF THE PICTOR A JET AND TIDAL TAIL: EVIDENCE AGAINST AN IC/CMB JET. The Astrophysical Journal, vol 808.
- Adami, C, Pompei, E, Sadibekova, T, Clerc, N, Iovino, A, McGee, S, Guennou, L, Birkinshaw, M, Horellou, C, Maurogordato, S, Pacaud, F, Pierre, M, Poggianti, BM & Willis, J, 2015, The XXL survey VIII: MUSE characterization of intra cluster light in a z ~ 0.53 cluster of galaxies. Astronomy & Astrophysics (A&A).
- Pacaud, F, Clerc, N, Giles, PA, Adami, C, Sadibekova, T, Pierre, M, Maughan, BJ, Lieu, M, Le Fèvre, J-P, Alis, S, Altieri, B, Ardila, F, Baldry, I, Benoist, C, Birkinshaw, M, Chiappetti, L, Démoclès, J, Eckert, D, Evrard, AE, Faccioli, L, Gastaldello, F, Guennou, L, Horellou, C, Iovino, A, Koulouridis, E, Le Brun, V, Lidman, C, Liske, J, Maurogordato, S, Menanteau, F, Owers, M, Poggianti, B, Pomarède, D, Pompei, E, Ponman, TJ, Rapetti, D, Reiprich, TH, Tuffs, R, Valageas, P, Valtchanov, I & others 2015, The XXL Survey. II. The bright cluster sample: catalogue and luminosity function. Astronomy & Astrophysics (A&A).
- Pierre, M, Pacaud, F, Adami, C, Alis, S, Altieri, B, Baran, B, Benoist, C, Birkinshaw, M, Bongiorno, A, Bremer, MN, Brusa, M, Ciliegi, P, Chiappetti, L, Clerc, N, Corasaniti, PS, Coupon, J, De Breuck, C, Democles, J, Delhaize, J, Devriendt, J, Dubois, Y, Eckert, D, Elyiv, A, Ettori, S, Evrard, A, Faccioli, L, Farahi, A, Ferrari, C, Finet, F, Fotopoulou, S, Fourmanoit, N, Gandhi, P, Gastaldello, F, Gastaud, R, Georgantopoulos, I, Giles, P, Guennou, L, Guglielmo, V, Horellou, C, Husband, K & others 2015, The XXL Survey: I. Scientific motivations - XMM-Newton observing plan - Follow-up observations and simulation programme. Astronomy & Astrophysics.
- Worrall, DM & Birkinshaw, M, 2015, Jet-gas interactions at crucial jet power for feedback. Extragalactic jets from every angle, Proceedings of the International Astronomical Union, IAU Symposium, Volume 313, pp. 260-265, vol 313., pp. 260-265
Edit this profile If you are Professor Mark Birkinshaw, you can edit this page. Login required.