Browse/search for people
Professor Mark Birkinshaw
Professor Mark Birkinshaw
William P. Coldrick Professor of Cosmology and Astrophysics
MA, PhD(Cantab), CPhys, MInstP, FRAS
I work on the large-scale structure of the Universe and the properties of the massive objects contained within it, using both observation and theory. I am particularly known for making the first detections of the change in brightness of the microwave background radiation caused by inverse-Compton scattering in clusters of galaxies (the Sunyaev-Zel'dovich effect), and in demonstrating how this effect can be used to measure cosmological parameters.
I worked on NASA's Chandra satellite before launch, and use it and other space-based and ground-based telescopes from X-ray to optical to radio bands to study galaxies, especially those hosting massive black holes and showing signs of unusual activity.
In these areas I give professional and public presentations, but I also speak and write on more general astronomical and cosmological topics.
- space science
- plasma physics
School of Physics
- Geach, JE, Dunlop, JS, Halpern, M, Smail, I, Werf, Pvd, Alexander, DM, Almaini, O, Aretxaga, I, Arumugam, V, Asboth, V, Banerji, M, Beanlands, J, Best, PN, Blain, AW, Birkinshaw, M, Chapin, EL, Chapman, SC, Chen, C-C, Chrysostomou, A, Clarke, C, Clements, DL, Conselice, C, Coppin, KEK, Cowley, WI, Danielson, ALR, Eales, S, Edge, AC, Farrah, D, Gibb, A, Harrison, CM, Hine, NK, Hughes, D, Ivison, RJ, Jarvis, M, Jenness, T, Jones, SF, Karim, A, Koprowski, M, Knudsen, KK, Lacey, CG & others 2017, The SCUBA-2 Cosmology Legacy Survey: 850um maps, catalogues and number counts. Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society, vol 465., pp. 1789-1806
- Worrall, DM & Birkinshaw, M, 2017, A non cool-core 4.6-keV cluster around the bright nearby radio galaxy PKS B1416-493. Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society.
- Molnar, SM, Schive, HY, Birkinshaw, M, Chiueh, T, Musoke, G & Young, AJ, 2017, Hydrodynamical simulations of colliding jets: modeling 3C 75. The Astrophysical Journal, vol 835.
- Zavala, JA, Aretxaga, I, Geach, JE, Hughes, DH, Birkinshaw, M, Chapin, E, Chapman, S, Chen, C-C, Clements, DL, Dunlop, JS, Farrah, D, Ivison, RJ, Jenness, T, Michałowski, MJ, Robson, EI, Scott, D, Simpson, J, Spaans, M & Werf, Pvd, 2017, The SCUBA-2 Cosmology Legacy Survey: The EGS deep field I - Deep number counts and the redshift distribution of the recovered Cosmic Infrared Background at 450 and 850 um. Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society, vol 464., pp. 3369-3384
- Quinn, J, Jackson, N, Tagore, A, Biggs, A, Birkinshaw, M, Chapman, S, Zotti, Gd, McKean, J, Perez-Fournon, I, Scott, D & Serjeant, S, 2016, A new VLA/e-MERLIN limit on central images in the gravitational lens system CLASS B1030+074. Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society, vol 459., pp. 2394-2407
- Michałowski, MJ, Dunlop, JS, Koprowski, MP, Cirasuolo, M, Geach, JE, Bowler, RAA, Mortlock, A, Caputi, KI, Aretxaga, I, Arumugam, V, Chen, C-C, McLure, RJ, Birkinshaw, M, Bourne, N, Farrah, D, Ibar, E, Werf, Pvd & Zemcov, M, 2016, The SCUBA-2 Cosmology Legacy Survey: the nature of bright submm galaxies from 2 deg2 of 850-um imaging. Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society.
- Geach, JE, Narayanan, D, Matsuda, Y, Hayes, M, Mas-Ribas, L, Dijkstra, M, Steidel, CC, Chapman, SC, Feldmann, R, Avison, A, Agertz, O, Ao, Y, Birkinshaw, M, Bremer, MN, Clements, DL, Dannerbauer, H, Farrah, D, Harrison, CM, Kubo, M, Michałowski, MJ, Scott, D, Smith, DJB, Spaans, M, Simpson, JM, Swinbank, AM, Taniguchi, Y, Van Der Werf, P, Verma, A & Yamada, T, 2016, ALMA observations of Lyman-α Blob 1: halo sub-structure illuminated from within. The Astrophysical Journal, vol 832.
- Riseley, CJ, Scaife, AMM, Hales, CA, Harrison, I, Birkinshaw, M, Battye, RA, Beswick, RJ, Brown, ML, Casey, CM, Chapman, SC, Demetroullas, C, Hung, C-, Jackson, NJ, Muxlow, T & Watson, B, 2016, Deep observations of the super-CLASS supercluster at 325 MHz with the GMRT: the low-frequency source catalogue. Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society, vol 462., pp. 917-940
- Lin, K-Y, Nishioka, H, Wang, F-C, Huang, C-W, Liao, Y-W, Wu, J-H, Koch, PM, Umetsu, K, Chen, M-T, Chan, S-H, Chang, S-H, Chang, W-H, Cheng, T-A, Duy, HN, Fu, S-Y, Han, C-C, Ho, S, Ho, M-F, Ho, PTP, Huang, Y-D, Jiang, H, Kubo, DY, Li, C-T, Lin, Y-C, Liu, G-C, Martin-Cocher, P, Molnar, SM, Nunez, E, Oshiro, P, Pai, S-P, Raffin, P, Ridenour, A, Shih, C-Y, Stoebner, S, Teo, G-S, Yeh, J-L, Williams, J & Birkinshaw, M, 2016, AMiBA: Cluster Sunyaev-Zel'dovich Effect Observations with the Expanded 13-Element Array. Astrophysical Journal, vol 830.
- Duffy, RT, Worrall, DM, Birkinshaw, M & Kraft, RP, 2016, Buoyancy-driven inflow to a relic cold core: the gas belt in radio galaxy 3C 386. Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society, vol 459., pp. 4508-4517
Edit this profile If you are Professor Mark Birkinshaw, you can edit this page. Login required.