Browse/search for people
Professor Mark Birkinshaw
Professor Mark Birkinshaw
William P. Coldrick Professor of Cosmology and Astrophysics
MA, PhD(Cantab), CPhys, MInstP, FRAS
I work on the large-scale structure of the Universe and the properties of the massive objects contained within it, using both observation and theory. I am particularly known for making the first detections of the change in brightness of the microwave background radiation caused by inverse-Compton scattering in clusters of galaxies (the Sunyaev-Zel'dovich effect), and in demonstrating how this effect can be used to measure cosmological parameters.
I worked on NASA's Chandra satellite before launch, and use it and other space-based and ground-based telescopes from X-ray to optical to radio bands to study galaxies, especially those hosting massive black holes and showing signs of unusual activity.
In these areas I give professional and public presentations, but I also speak and write on more general astronomical and cosmological topics.
- space science
- plasma physics
School of Physics
- Duffy, RT, Worrall, DM, Birkinshaw, M & Kraft, RP, 2016, Buoyancy-driven inflow to a relic cold core: the gas belt in radio galaxy 3C 386. Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society, vol 459., pp. 4508-4517
- Geach, JE, Narayanan, D, Matsuda, Y, Hayes, M, Mas-Ribas, L, Dijkstra, M, Steidel, CC, Chapman, SC, Feldmann, R, Avison, A, Agertz, O, Ao, Y, Birkinshaw, M, Bremer, MN, Clements, DL, Dannerbauer, H, Farrah, D, Harrison, CM, Hine, NK, Kubo, M, Michalowski, MJ, Scott, D, Smith, DJB, Spaans, M, Simpson, JM, Swinbank, AM, Taniguchi, Y, van Kampen, E, Werf, Pvd, Verma, A & Yamada, T, 2016, ALMA observations of Lyman-α Blob 1: halo sub-structure illuminated from within. The Astrophysical Journal.
- Riseley, CJ, Scaife, AMM, Hales, CA, Harrison, I, Birkinshaw, M, Battye, RA, Beswick, RJ, Brown, ML, Casey, CM, Chapman, SC, Demetroullas, C, Hung, C-, Jackson, NJ, Muxlow, T & Watson, B, 2016, Deep observations of the Super-CLASS super-cluster at 325 MHz with the GMRT: the low-frequency source catalogue. Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society.
- Lin, K-Y, Nishioka, H, Wang, F-C, Huang, C-W, Liao, Y-W, Wu, J-H, Koch, PM, Umetsu, K, Chen, M-T, Chan, S-H, Chang, S-H, Chang, W-H, Cheng, T-A, Duy, HN, Fu, S-Y, Han, C-C, Ho, S, Ho, M-F, Ho, PTP, Huang, Y-D, Jiang, H, Kubo, DY, Li, C-T, Lin, Y-C, Liu, G-C, Martin-Cocher, P, Molnar, SM, Nunez, E, Oshiro, P, Pai, S-P, Raffin, P, Ridenour, A, Shih, C-Y, Stoebner, S, Teo, G-S, Yeh, J-L, Williams, J & Birkinshaw, M, 2016, AMiBA: Cluster Sunyaev-Zel'dovich Effect Observations with the Expanded 13-Element Array. Astrophysical Journal.
- Quinn, J, Jackson, N, Tagore, A, Biggs, A, Birkinshaw, M, Chapman, S, Zotti, Gd, McKean, J, Perez-Fournon, I, Scott, D & Serjeant, S, 2016, A new VLA/e-MERLIN limit on central images in the gravitational lens system CLASS B1030+074. Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society, vol 459., pp. 2394-2407
- Worrall, DM, Birkinshaw, M & Young, AJ, 2016, X-rays associated with the jet-cloud-interacting radio galaxy 3C 277.3 (Coma A): Implications for energy deposition. Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society, vol 458., pp. 174-183
- Geach, JE, Dunlop, JS, Halpern, M, Smail, I, Werf, Pvd, Alexander, DM, Almaini, O, Aretxaga, I, Arumugam, V, Asboth, V, Banerji, M, Beanlands, J, Best, PN, Blain, AW, Birkinshaw, M, Chapin, EL, Chapman, SC, Chen, C-C, Chrysostomou, A, Clarke, C, Clements, DL, Conselice, C, Coppin, KEK, Cowley, WI, Danielson, ALR, Eales, S, Edge, AC, Farrah, D, Gibb, A, Harrison, CM, Hine, NK, Hughes, D, Ivison, RJ, Jarvis, M, Jenness, T, Jones, SF, Karim, A, Koprowski, M, Knudsen, KK, Lacey, CG & others 2016, The SCUBA-2 Cosmology Legacy Survey: 850um maps, catalogues and number counts. Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society.
- Mirakhor, MSK & Birkinshaw, M, 2016, The gas distribution in the high-redshift cluster MS 1054-0321. Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society, vol 457., pp. 2918-2928
- Schwartz, DA, Marshall, HL, Worrall, DM, Birkinshaw, M, Perlman, E, Lovell, JEJ, Jauncey, D, Murphy, D, Gelbord, J, Godfrey, L & Bicknell, G, 2015, A survey of X-ray emission from 100 kpc radio jets. Proceedings of the International Astronomical Union, vol 10., pp. 219-224
- Gentry, ES, Marshall, HL, Hardcastle, MJ, Perlman, ES, Birkinshaw, M, Worrall, DM, Lenc, E, Siemiginowska, A & Urry, CM, 2015, OPTICAL DETECTION OF THE PICTOR A JET AND TIDAL TAIL: EVIDENCE AGAINST AN IC/CMB JET. The Astrophysical Journal, vol 808.
Edit this profile If you are Professor Mark Birkinshaw, you can edit this page. Login required.