Browse/search for people
Dr Adrian Barnes
Dr Adrian Barnes
Reader in Physics
BSc, PhD(Bristol), CPhys
My research interests concerns the structure of disordered materials, such as liquids and glasses and how it is related to the material's properties. This involves the use of advanced X-ray and neutron diffraction techniques, including anomalous X-ray scattering and neutron scattering and isotopic substitution, coupled with structure calculation and modelling techniques based on Molecular Dynamics and Monte Carlo simulation.
In addition I also carry out X-ray and neutron spectroscopy work in order to reveal the detailed microscopic dynamical behaviour of the same systems. This work takes place mainly in the European Central facilities including the ESRF, the ILL, ISIS and in future DIAMOND.
- structure of disordered materials
- advanced X-ray
- neutron diffraction
- Monte Carlo simulation
- isotopic substitution
- structure calculation
- molecular dynamics
School of Physics
- Bassindale, PG, Phillips, DB, Barnes, AC & Drinkwater, BW 2014, Measurements of the force fields within an acoustic standing wave using holographic optical tweezers. Applied Physics Letters, vol 104.
- Skinner, LB, Barnes, AC, Salmon, PS, Hennet, L, Fischer, HE, Benmore, CJ, Kohara, S, Weber, JKR, Bytchkov, A, Wilding, MC, Parise, JB, Farmer, TO, Pozdnyakova, I, Tumber, SK & Ohara, K 2013, Joint diffraction and modeling approach to the structure of liquid alumina. Physical Review B - Condensed Matter and Materials Physics, vol 87.
- Skinner, L, Barnes, A, Salmon, P, FIscher, H, Drewitt, JWE & Honkimaki, V 2012, Structure and triclustering in Ba-Al-O glass. Physical Review B - Condensed Matter & Materials Physics, vol 85.
- Barnes, A, Skinner, L, Salmon, P, Bytchkov, A, Pozdnyakova, I, Farmer, T & Fischer, H 2011, Comment on "Liquid-Liquid Phase Transition in Supercooled Yttria-Alumina" Reply. PHYSICAL REVIEW LETTERS, vol 106., pp. 119602-1 - 119602-1
- Wezka, K, Zeidler, A, Salmon, P, Kidkhunthod, P, Barnes, A & Fischer, H 2011, Structure of praseodymium and neodymium gallate glasses. JOURNAL OF NON-CRYSTALLINE SOLIDS, vol 357., pp. 2511 - 2515
- Drewitt, JWE, Salmon, P, Barnes, A, Klotz, S, Fischer, H & Crichton, W 2010, Structure of GeO(2) glass at pressures up to 8.6 GPa. Physical Review B - Condensed Matter & Materials Physics, vol 81.
- Zeilder, A, Drewitt, JWE, Salmon, P, Barnes, A, Crichton, W, Klotz, S, Fischer, H, Benmore, C, Ramos, S & Hannon, A 2009, Establishing the structure of GeS(2) at high pressures and temperatures: a combined approach using x-ray and neutron diffraction. Journal of Physics: Condensed Matter, vol 21., pp. 1-22
- Barnes, A, Skinner, L, Salmon, P, Bytchkov, A, Pozdnyakova, I, Farmer, T & Fischer, H 2009, Liquid-Liquid Phase Transition in Supercooled Yttria-Alumina. Physical Review Letters, vol 103., pp. 1 -4
- Barnes, A, O'Neill, T., Kennedy, LJ, Short, AD, Catchpole, B, House, A, Binns, M, Fretwell, N, Day, MJ & Ollier, WER 2009, Association of canine anal furunculosis with TNFA is secondary to linkage disequilibrium with DLA-DRB1*. Tissue Antigens, vol 73., pp. 218-224
- Kidkhunthod, P & Barnes, A 2009, A Structural Study of Praseodymium Gallate Glasses by Combined Neutron Diffraction, Molecular Dynamics and EXAFS techniques. Journal of Physics Conference Series, vol 190., pp. 012076-1 - 012076-4
Edit this profile If you are Dr Adrian Barnes, you can edit this page. Login required.