Browse/search for people
Dr Oliver Payton
Dr Oliver Payton
Senior Research Associate (Royal Academy of Engineering Fellowship)
Oliver completed his Masters in Physics at the University of Bristol in 2008 before undertaking a PhD in the school of Engineering at the same university in the Engineering Maths department. Oliver’s PhD focussed on understanding and developing a new form of microscopy called High-speed atomic force microscopy (HS-AFM). By developing new experimental and theoretical understanding of how the micro-mechanical sensor interacts with the sample surface Oliver and co-workers were able to redesign the microscope and it is now being used to image samples from chunks of nuclear reactor to individual strands of DNA.
After his PhD Oliver spent a year working with the Interface Analysis Centre at Bristol developing a radiation mapping unmanned air vehicle capable remotely mapping out radioactive sources using a solid state gamma ray spectrometer and custom software. This technology formed the basis of Imitec Ltd, a spin-out from the University of Bristol, of which Oliver is a founding director. In 2014 Oliver was co-awarded the ERA foundation Entrepreneurs award for his role in the development of the radiation mapping system.
Oliver currently holds a Royal Academy of Engineering Research Fellowship in the field of high-speed AFM at the University of Bristol and is using this to develop further property measurement techniques into the HS-AFM as well as increase the tools impact to research and industry. Oliver splits his time between the Engineering Maths Dept and the Interface Analysis Centre (IAC) in the School of Physics; he currently holds a lab in the NSQI low noise labs centre.
Oliver has demonstrated and written parts of the Physics departments undergraduate computer programming course and now supervises two PhD students (one in Engineering and one in Physics) and one PDRA.
- Martin, P, Yamashiki, Y, Scott, T, Payton, O, Richards, D & Fardoulis, J, 2017, Autonomous Unmanned Aerial Vehicles for Examining Current and Evolving Distribution of Contamination from the FDNPP Accident. in: Waste Management Symposia 2017: Proceedings of a meeting held 5-9 March 2017, Phoenix, Arizona, USA. Waste Management Symposia, Inc
- Hutson, C, Martin, P, Payne, L, Oughton, N, Wyness, KE, Smith, D, Warren, AD, Rennie, SL, Jones, CP, Banos, AK, Payton, OD, Sutcliffe, JE, Paraskevoulakos, C, Liu, C, Darnbrough, J, Springell, RS, Hallam, KR, Stevens, OAC, Logan, M, Townes, J, Roberts, LGW, Pancost, RD, Marshall, D, Shaw, H, Gray, A, Liu, D, Hutson, K, Yapp, O, Huntley, S, Adamska, AM, Smale, R & Scott, T, 2017, The Importance and Impact of Public Engagement for the Nuclear Industry. in: Waste Management Symposia 2017: Proceedings of a meeting held 5-9 March 2017, Phoenix, Arizona, USA. Waste Management Symposia, Inc
- Martin, P, Scott, T, Payton, O & Fardoulis, J, 2017, High-Resolution Aerial Radiation Mapping for Nuclear Decontamination and Decommissioning. in: Waste Management Symposia 2017: Proceedings of a meeting held 5-9 March 2017, Phoenix, Arizona, USA. Waste Management Symposia, Inc
- Cullen, P, Cox, K, Subhan, m, Picco, L, Payton, O, Buckley, D, Miller, T, Hodge, S, Skipper, NT, Tileli, V & Howard, C, 2017, Ionic solutions of two-dimensional materials. Nature Chemistry, vol 9., pp. 244?249
- Martin, P, Moore, J, Fardoulis, J, Payton, O & Scott, T, 2016, Radiological Assessment on Interest Areas on the Sellafield Nuclear Site via Unmanned Aerial Vehicle. Remote Sensing, vol 8.
- Popel, A, Adamska, AM, Martin, PG, Payton, OD, Lampronti, G, Picco, L, Payne, L, Springell, R, Scott, TB, Monnet, I & Farnan, I, 2016, Structural effects in UO2 thin films irradiated with U ions. Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research, Section B: Beam Interactions with Materials and Atoms, vol 386., pp. 8-15
- Martin, PG, Kwong, S, Smith, N, Yamashiki, Y, Payton, OD, Russell-Pavier, FS, Fardoulis, J, Richards, D & Scott, T, 2016, 3D unmanned aerial vehicle radiation mapping for assessing contaminant distribution and mobility.. International Journal of Applied Earth Observation and Geoinformation, vol 52., pp. 12-19
- Martin, PG, Payton, OD, Yamashiki, Y, Richards, DA & Scott, TB, 2016, High-resolution radiation mapping to investigate FDNPP derived contaminant migration. Journal of Environmental Radioactivity, vol 164., pp. 26-35
- Martinez-Ubeda, AI, Payton, OD, Scott, TB, Griffiths, I, Younes, CM & Flewitt, PEJ, 2016, Role of long term ageing on the creep life of type 316H austenitic stainless steel bifurcation weldments. in: Materials and Fabrication. American Society of Mechanical Engineers(ASME)
- Mikheikin, A, Olsen, A, Picco, L, Payton, O, Mishra, B, Gimzewski, JK & Reed, J, 2016, High-Speed Atomic Force Microscopy Revealing Contamination in DNA Purification Systems. Analytical Chemistry, vol 88., pp. 2527-2532
Edit this profile If you are Dr Oliver Payton, you can edit this page. Login required.