Browse/search for people
Dr Yvette Russell
Dr Yvette Russell
Lecturer in Law
BA(Auck), LLB(Auck), LLM(NYU), PhD(Kent)
feminist theory; queer theory; poststructuralist philosophy; critical legal studies; criminal justice; criminal law; sexual offences.
Yvette Russell holds an LLB and a BA in political theory from the University of Auckland where she was the recipient of a Senior Prize in Law. She holds an LLM from New York University where she was a Rotary Ambassadorial Scholar and a PEO International Peace Scholar. She holds a PhD from Kent Law School, where she held a Kent Research Studentship for three years. Prior to joining Bristol Law School in September 2014, she worked for three years as a government adviser in New Zealand on child and youth justice issues, was a teaching fellow at the University of Reading from 2011 to 2012 and was a lecturer at Queen’s University Belfast from 2012 to 2014. She was admitted as a Barrister and Solicitor of the High Court of New Zealand in 2006 and is a Co-ordinating Editor of the international law journal Feminist Legal Studies.
Following Yvette on twitter: @yvetterusse11
Criminal Law (Unit Director)
Crime, Justice and Society
Sex, Gender and Law (Unit Director)
Criminal Law and Criminal Justice (Unit Director)
Law, Gender and Sexuality
- feminist theory
- queer theory
- poststructuralist philosophy
- critical legal studies
- criminal justice
- criminal law
- sexual offences.
- Russell, Y, 2017, Woman’s Voice/Law’s Logos: The Rape Trial and the Limits of Liberal Reform. Australian Feminist Law Journal, vol 42., pp. 273-296
- Conaghan, JAF & Russell, Y, 2014, Rape Myths, Law, and Feminist Research: “Myths About Myths”?. Feminist Legal Studies, vol 22., pp. 25-48
- Anemtoaicei, O & Russell, Y, 2013, Luce Irigaray: Back to the Beginning. International Journal of Philosophical Studies , vol 21., pp. 773-786
Read more >
- Fletcher, R, McCandless, J, Russell, Y & Thomas, D, 2016, Law's Vulnerability, and Vulnerability in Law. Feminist Legal Studies, vol 24., pp. 243-247
- Fletcher, R, McCandless, J, Russell, Y & Thomas, D, 2016, On Being Uncomfortable. Feminist Legal Studies, vol 24., pp. 121-126
- Russell, Y, 2016, Criminal Law to the Rescue? ‘Wolf-Whistling’ as Hate Crime. Critical Legal Thinking
- Fletcher, R, McCandless, J, Russell, Y & Thomas, D, 2016, Internationalism and Commitment at the Kitchen Table. Feminist Legal Studies, vol 24., pp. 1-6
- Conaghan, J & Russell, Y, 2015, Talking Law and Gender. Feminist Legal Studies, vol 23., pp. 199-214
- Russell, Y, 2014, Language: Notes on the Thought of Luce Irigaray. Critical Legal Thinking
- Russell, Y, 2013, Thinking sexual difference through the law of rape. Law and Critique, vol 24., pp. 255-275
Edit this profile If you are Dr Yvette Russell, you can edit this page. Login required.