Browse/search for people
Dr Tamsin Edwards
Dr Tamsin Edwards
Area of research
Uncertainty in earth system modelling
My PhD was in particle physics on diffractively produced Z bosons. My research interests are now in quantifying uncertainty in predictions from earth system models. I'm working on the EU Framework-7 programme ice2sea, which aims to improve projections of the contribution of ice to future sea level. I'm also studying past climates mainly to estimate climate sensitivity to atmospheric CO2 but also to improve understanding of the past. I worked on the NERC scoping study SAPPUR on the analysis, propagation and communication of uncertainty and risk for extreme weather. I'm a member of SUPRAnet who aim to improve proxy-based palaeoclimate reconstructions.
I do a lot of science communication and public engagement, including:
I started at the University of Bristol in 2006, after my PhD in high energy physics and MPhys at the University of Manchester.
Projects I have worked, or am currently working, for:
Senior Associate Teacher:
- State of the Planet; Predicting and Changing the Future; Science and Society; Resilience: for Sustainable Development, 1st yr UG Open Unit (2011-present).
- Climate modelling; Detection & attribution of climate change: for Climate change, 3rd yr UG Geog., U. of Gloucestershire (2008-2009).
- Public engagement in climate science: for Big Ideas in Science, 1st yr UG Open Unit (2013);
- Climate change; Abrupt climate change: for World in Crisis, 1st yr UG Open Unit (2011);
- Land use and vegetation feedbacks (2009-2011); The next million years of climate (2012): for Environmental Impacts & Policy / Society & Nature, 3rd year UG Geographical Sciences;
- Complexity and uncertainty in earth system modelling: for Introduction to Environmental Modelling, 4th yr UG Earth Sciences (2012);
- China and the Environment: for MSc/MRes in Earth System Science (2008);
- Public understanding of prediction and uncertainty (2012); Calibration and uncertainty in earth system models (2013): for Cabot/CREDIBLE Summer School on Risk and Uncertainty in Natural Hazards, open to postgraduates, early career researchers, scientists from industry and government agencies (2013).
- Numerical modelling in R: for Research Methods in Physical Geography / Environment & Society, 2nd yr UG Geographical Sciences (2012);
- Field trip, 1st yr UG Geographical Sciences (2008-2009).
Many of my lectures can be found on my Academia.edu page.
- sea level
- Edwards, TL & Challenor, P 2013, Risk and uncertainty in hydrometeorological hazards. in: Jonathan Rougier, Steve Sparks, Lisa Hill (eds) Risk and Uncertainty Assessment for Natural Hazards. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, pp. 100-150
- Shannon, SR, Payne, AJ, Bartholomew, I, Broeke, Mvd, Edwards, TL, Fettweis, X, Gagliardini, O, Gillet-Chaulet, F, Goelzer, H, Hoffman, M, Huybrechts, P, Mair, D, Nienow, P, Perego, M, Price, S, Smeets, P, Sole, A, Wal, Rvd & Zwinger, T 2013, Enhanced basal lubrication and the contribution of the Greenland ice sheet to future sea-level rise. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America.
- Edwards, TL, Annan, J, Crucifix, M, Gebbie, G & Paul, A 2013, Best-of-both-worlds estimates for time slices in the past. PAGES news, vol 21., pp. 76-77
- Goelzer, H, Huybrechts, P, Fürst, J, Nick, FM, Andersen, M, Edwards, TL, Fettweis, X, Payne, AJ & Shannon, SR 2013, Sensitivity of Greenland ice sheet projections to model formulations. Journal of Glaciology, vol 59., pp. 733-749
- & Edwards, TL 2013, From Ice to High Seas: Sea-level rise and European coastlines. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK
- Nick, FM, Vieli, A, Andersen, ML, Joughin, I, Payne, AJ, Edwards, TL, Pattyn, F, Wal, RSWvd & Payne, AJ 2013, Future sea-level rise from Greenland's main outlet glaciers in a warming climate. Nature, vol 497., pp. 235-238
- Edwards, TL 2013, Hydrometeorological hazards under future climate change. in: Jonathan Rougier, Steve Sparks, Lisa Hill (eds) Risk and Uncertainty Assessment for Natural Hazards. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, pp. 151-189
- Barrand, N, Hindmarsh, R, Arthern, R, Williams, R, Mouginot, J, Scheuchl, B, Rignot, E, Ligtenberg, S, Broeke, MVd, Edwards, TL, Cook, A & Simonsen, S 2013, Computing the volume response of the Antarctic Peninsula ice sheet to warming scenarios to 2200. Journal of Glaciology, vol 59., pp. 397-409
- Gladstone, R, Lee, V, Rougier, J, Payne, A, Hellmer, H, Brocq, AL, Shepherd, A, Edwards, T, Gregory, J & Cornford, SL 2012, Calibrated prediction of Pine Island Glacier retreat during the 21st and 22nd centuries with a coupled flowline model. Earth and Planetary Science Letters, vol 333-334., pp. 191 - 199
- Rae, J, Aðalgeirsdóttir, G, Edwards, TL, Fettweis, X, Hewitt, H, Lowe, J, Lucas-Picher, P, Mottram, R, Payne, AJ, Ridley, J, Shannon, SR, Berg, WJvd, Wal, Rvd & Broeke, Mvd 2012, Greenland ice sheet surface mass balance: evaluating simulations and making projections with regional climate models. The Cryosphere, vol 6., pp. 1275-1294
Edit this profile If you are Dr Tamsin Edwards, you can edit this page. Login required.