Browse/search for people
Dr Sean Fox
Dr Sean Fox
Lecturer in Urban Geography and Global Development
BA (UCSC), BA (UCSC), MSc (LSE), PhD (LSE)
Area of research
Political Economy of Development & Urban Geography
My research revolves around four interrelated themes: the process of urbanisation, the political economy of development, contentious politics, and urban governance, particularly (but not exclusively) in Africa and Asia. I am committed to an interdisciplinary approach to social research, drawing on theoretical insights and methodological tools from the fields of demography, economics, geography, political science and sociology.
Prior to joining Bristol I was a Research Associate with the DfID-funded Crisis States Research Centre (2006-2010) and a Teaching Fellow in the Department of International Development at the London School of Economics (2007-2011). I hold an MSc in Development Management from the LSE and Bachelor’s degrees in Literature and Economics from the University of California Santa Cruz.
- Political economy of development
- Urbanisation and migration
- Conflict and violence
- Institutions and governance
- Urban politics
- Fox, S, 2017, Mortality, migration and rural transformation in sub-Saharan Africa’s urban transition. Journal of Demographic Economics, vol 83., pp. 13-30
- Fox, S, Bloch, R & Monroy, J, 2017, Understanding the dynamics of Nigeria’s urban transition: A refutation of the ‘stalled urbanization’ hypothesis. Urban Studies.
- Fox, S, Johnston, R & Manley, DJ, 2016, If Immigrants Could Vote in the UK: A Thought Experiment with Data from the 2015 General Election. Political Quarterly, vol 87., pp. 500?508
- Fox, S & Bell, A, 2016, Urban Geography and Protest Mobilization in Africa. Political Geography, vol 53., pp. 54-64
- Fox, S & Goodfellow, T, 2016, Cities and Development, 2nd Edition. Routledge
- Fox, S, Bloch, R, Monroy, J & Ojo, A, 2015, Urbanisation and Urban Expansion in Nigeria. ICF International
- Fox, S, 2014, Demography, Democracy, Development and Urban Protest in Sub-Saharan Africa. in: APSA 2014 Annual Meeting Paper.
- Fox, S, 2013, The Political Economy of Slums: Theory and Evidence from Sub-Saharan Africa. World Development, vol 54., pp. 191
- Fox, S & Beall, J, 2012, Mitigating conflict and violence in African cities. Environment and Planning C: Government and Policy, vol 30., pp. 968-981
- Fox, S & Hoelscher, K, 2012, Political order, development and social violence. Journal of Peace Research, vol 49., pp. 431-444
Edit this profile If you are Dr Sean Fox, you can edit this page. Login required.