Browse/search for people
Professor Jonathan Bamber
Professor Jonathan Bamber
Area of research
Professor of Physical Geography
Jonathan Bamber is a professor in physical geography. He graduated from Bristol University with a degree in Physics in 1983 and went on to complete a Ph.D at the Scott Polar Research Institute, University of Cambridge, in glaciology and remote sensing. He then spent eight years in the Department of Space and Climate Physics, University College London before returning to Bristol in 1996. His main areas of interest are in applications of remote sensing data in the polar regions. More specifically, he has been working on the use of remote sensing data to elucidate the morphology and dynamics of the Antarctic and Greenland ice sheets. More recently he has begun work on cryosphere-climate interactions and feedbacks through a combined modelling and observational approach.
He is also involved in remote sensing research in the department and has interests in the use of remote sensing data for a variety of other applications such as the generation of digital elevation models and in oceanography
- Broeke, Mvd, Bamber, JL, Ettema, J, Rignot, E, Schrama, E, Berg, WJvd, Meijgaard, Ev, Velicogna, I & Wouters, B 2009, Partitioning Recent Greenland Mass Loss. Science, vol 326., pp. 984-986
Read more >
- Fretwell, P, Pritchard, HD, Vaughan, DG, Bamber, JL, Barrand, NE, Bell, R, Bianchi, C, Bingham, RG, Blankenship, DD, Casassa, G, Catania, G, Callens, D, Conway, H, Cook, AJ, Corr, HFJ, Damaske, D, Damm, V, Ferraccioli, F, Forsberg, R, Fujita, S, Gim, Y, Gogineni, P, Griggs, JA, Hindmarsh, RCA, Holmlund, P, Holt, JW, Jacobel, RW, Jenkins, A, Jokat, W, Jordan, T, King, EC, Kohler, J, Krabill, W, Riger-Kusk, M, Langley, KA, Leitchenkov, G, Leuschen, C, Luyendyk, BP, Matsuoka, K, Mouginot, J, Nitsche, FO, Nogi, Y, Nost, OA, Popov, SV, Rignot, E, Rippin, DM, Rivera, A, Roberts, J, Ross, N, Siegert, MJ, Smith, AM, Steinhage, D, Studinger, M, Sun, B, Tinto, BK, Welch, BC, Wilson, D, Young, DA, Xiangbin, C & Zirizzotti, A 2013, Bedmap2: improved ice bed, surface and thickness datasets for Antarctica. The Cryosphere, vol 7., pp. 375-393
- Bamber, JL & Aspinall, WP 2013, An expert judgement assessment of future sea level rise from the ice sheets. Nature climate change, vol 3., pp. 424-427
- Bamber, JL, Griggs, JA, Hurkmans, RTWL, Dowdeswell, JA, Gogineni, SP, Howat, I, Mouginot, J, Paden, J, Palmer, S, Rignot, E & Steinhage, D 2013, A new bed elevation dataset for Greenland. The Cryosphere, vol 7., pp. 499-510
- Vernon, CL, Bamber, JL, Box, JE, Broeke, MRvd, Fettweis, X, Hanna, E & Huybrechts, P 2013, Surface mass balance model intercomparison for the Greenland ice sheet. The Cryosphere, vol 7., pp. 599-614
- Mangion, AZ, Rougier, JC, Bamber, JL & Schoen, NW 2013, Resolving the Antarctic contribution to sea-level rise: a hierarchical modelling framework. Environmetrics.
- Palmer, SJ, Dowdeswell, JA, Christoffersen, P, Young, DA, Blankenship, DD, Greenbaum, JS, Benham, T, Bamber, J & Siegert, MJ 2013, Greenland subglacial lakes detected by radar. Geophysical Research Letters, vol 40., pp. 6154-6159
- Sasgen, I, Konrad, H, Ivins, ER, Broeke, MRVd, Bamber, JL, Martinec, Z & Klemann, V 2013, Antarctic ice-mass balance 2003 to 2012: regional reanalysis of GRACE satellite gravimetry measurements with improved estimate of glacial-isostatic adjustment based on GPS uplift rates. The Cryosphere, vol 7., pp. 1499-1512
- Day, JJ, Bamber, JL & Valdes, PJ 2013, The Greenland Ice Sheet's surface mass balance in a seasonally sea ice-free Arctic. Journal of Geophysical Research: Earth Surface, vol 118., pp. 1533-1544
- Depoorter, MA, Bamber, JL, Griggs, JA, Lenaerts, J, Ligtenberg, S, Broeke, MVd & Moholdt, G 2013, Calving fluxes and basal melt rates of Antarctic ice shelves. Nat Med, vol 502., pp. 89-92
Professor Bamber currently teaches 1 courses:
Edit this profile If you are Professor Jonathan Bamber, you can edit this page. Login required.