Browse/search for people
Professor Jonathan Bamber
Professor Jonathan Bamber
Professor (Royal Society Wolfson Research Merit Award Holder)
Area of research
Professor of Physical Geography
Jonathan Bamber is a professor in physical geography. He graduated from Bristol University with a degree in Physics in 1983 and went on to complete a Ph.D at the Scott Polar Research Institute, University of Cambridge, in glaciology and remote sensing. He then spent eight years in the Department of Space and Climate Physics, University College London before returning to Bristol in 1996. His main areas of interest are in applications of remote sensing data in the polar regions. More specifically, he has been working on the use of remote sensing data to elucidate the morphology and dynamics of the Antarctic and Greenland ice sheets. More recently he has begun work on cryosphere-climate interactions and feedbacks through a combined modelling and observational approach.
He is also involved in remote sensing research in the department and has interests in the use of remote sensing data for a variety of other applications such as the generation of digital elevation models and in oceanography
- van den Broeke, M, Bamber, JL, Ettema, J, Rignot, E, Schrama, E, Berg, WJvd, van Meijgaard, E, Velicogna, I & Wouters, B, 2009, Partitioning Recent Greenland Mass Loss. Science, vol 326., pp. 984-986
Read more >
- Böning, CW, Behrens, E, Biastoch, A, Getzlaff, K & Bamber, JL, 2016, Emerging impact of Greenland meltwater on deepwater formation in the North Atlantic Ocean. Nature Geoscience, vol 9., pp. 523-527
- Cooper, M, Michaelides, K, Siegert, M & Bamber, J, 2016, Paleofluvial landscape inheritance for Jakobshavn Isbræ catchment, Greenland. Geophysical Research Letters.
- Bamber, J, Aspinall, W & Cooke, R, 2016, A commentary on “how to interpret expert judgment assessments of twenty-first century sea-level rise” by Hylke de Vries and Roderik SW van de Wal. Climatic Change.
- Muresan, IS, Khan, SA, Aschwanden, A, Khroulev, C, Van Dam, T, Bamber, J, Broeke, MRVD, Wouters, B, Munneke, PK & Kjær, KH, 2016, Modelled glacier dynamics over the last quarter of a century at Jakobshavn Isbræ. The Cryosphere, vol 10., pp. 597-611
- Musilova, M, Tranter, M, Bamber, JL, Takeuchi, N & Anesio, AMB, 2016, Experimental evidence that microbial activity lowers the albedo of glaciers. Geochemical Perspectives Letters, vol 2., pp. 105-116
- Dukhovskoy, DS, Myers, PG, Platov, G, Timmermans, ML, Curry, B, Proshutinsky, A, Bamber, JL, Chassignet, E, Hu, X, Lee, CM & Somavilla, R, 2015, Greenland freshwater pathways in the sub-Arctic Seas from model experiments with passive tracers. Journal of Geophysical Research: Oceans, vol 121., pp. 877-907
- Kjeldsen, KK, Korsgaard, NJ, Bjørk, AA, Khan, SA, Box, JE, Funder, S, Larsen, NK, Bamber, JL, Colgan, W, Broeke, MVD, Siggaard-Andersen, ML, Nuth, C, Schomacker, A, Andresen, CS, Willerslev, E & Kjær, KH, 2015, Spatial and temporal distribution of mass loss from the Greenland Ice Sheet since AD 1900. Nature, vol 528., pp. 396-400
- Proshutinsky, A, Dukhovskoy, D, Timmermans, ML, Krishfield, R & Bamber, JL, 2015, Arctic circulation regimes. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society A: Mathematical, Physical and Engineering Sciences, vol 373.
- Wang, F, Bamber, JL & Cheng, X, 2015, Accuracy and Performance of CryoSat-2 SARIn Mode Data Over Antarctica. IEEE Geoscience and Remote Sensing Letters, vol 12., pp. 1516-1520
Professor Bamber currently teaches 1 courses:
Edit this profile If you are Professor Jonathan Bamber, you can edit this page. Login required.