Browse/search for people
Professor Jonathan Bamber
Professor Jonathan Bamber
Professor (Royal Society Wolfson Research Merit Award Holder)
Area of research
Professor of Physical Geography
Jonathan Bamber is a professor in physical geography. He graduated from Bristol University with a degree in Physics in 1983 and went on to complete a Ph.D at the Scott Polar Research Institute, University of Cambridge, in glaciology and remote sensing. He then spent eight years in the Department of Space and Climate Physics, University College London before returning to Bristol in 1996. His main areas of interest are in applications of remote sensing data in the polar regions. More specifically, he has been working on the use of remote sensing data to elucidate the morphology and dynamics of the Antarctic and Greenland ice sheets. More recently he has begun work on cryosphere-climate interactions and feedbacks through a combined modelling and observational approach.
He is also involved in remote sensing research in the department and has interests in the use of remote sensing data for a variety of other applications such as the generation of digital elevation models and in oceanography
- van den Broeke, M, Bamber, JL, Ettema, J, Rignot, E, Schrama, E, Berg, WJvd, van Meijgaard, E, Velicogna, I & Wouters, B, 2009, Partitioning Recent Greenland Mass Loss. Science, vol 326., pp. 984-986
Read more >
- Bamber, J, Aspinall, W & Cooke, R, 2016, A commentary on “how to interpret expert judgment assessments of twenty-first century sea-level rise” by Hylke de Vries and Roderik SW van de Wal. Climatic Change.
- Böning, CW, Behrens, E, Biastoch, A, Getzlaff, K & Bamber, JL, 2016, Emerging impact of Greenland meltwater on deepwater formation in the North Atlantic Ocean. Nature Geoscience, vol 9., pp. 523-527
- Williams, CN, Cornford, S, Jordan, T, Dowdeswell, J, Siegert, M, Clark, C, Swift, DA, Sole, A, Fenty, I & Bamber, J, 2016, Generating synthetic fjord bathymetry for coastal Greenland. The Cryosphere, vol 11., pp. 363-380
- Espanol, AM, King, M, Mangion, AZ, Andrews, S, Moore, P & Bamber, J, 2016, An assessment of forward and inverse GIA solutions for Antarctica. Journal of Geophysical Research, vol 121., pp. 6947-6965
- Jordan, TM, Bamber, JL, Williams, CN, Paden, JD, Siegert, MJ, Huybrechts, P, Gagliardini, O & Gillet-Chaulet, F, 2016, An ice-sheet-wide framework for englacial attenuation from ice-penetrating radar data. The Cryosphere, vol 10., pp. 1547-1570
- Cooper, M, Michaelides, K, Siegert, M & Bamber, J, 2016, Paleofluvial landscape inheritance for Jakobshavn Isbræ catchment, Greenland. Geophysical Research Letters, vol 42., pp. 6350-6357
- Gillard, L, Hu, X, Myers, P & Bamber, JL, 2016, Meltwater pathways from marine terminating glaciers of the Greenland ice sheet. Geophysical Research Letters.
- Frajke-Williams, E, Bamber, J & Vage, K, 2016, Greenland Melt and the Atlantic Meridional Overturning Circulation. Oceanography, vol 29., pp. 22-33
- Bamber, J, Schumacher, M, Espanol, AM, Bates, P, Bingham, R & Rougier, J, 2016, An integrated approach for estimating global isostatic adjustment, land ice, hydrology and ocean mass trends within a complete coupled Earth system framework.
Edit this profile If you are Professor Jonathan Bamber, you can edit this page. Login required.