Browse/search for people
Professor Jonathan Bamber
Professor Jonathan Bamber
Professor (Royal Society Wolfson Research Merit Award Holder)
Area of research
Professor of Physical Geography
Jonathan Bamber is a professor in physical geography. He graduated from Bristol University with a degree in Physics in 1983 and went on to complete a Ph.D at the Scott Polar Research Institute, University of Cambridge, in glaciology and remote sensing. He then spent eight years in the Department of Space and Climate Physics, University College London before returning to Bristol in 1996. His main areas of interest are in applications of remote sensing data in the polar regions. More specifically, he has been working on the use of remote sensing data to elucidate the morphology and dynamics of the Antarctic and Greenland ice sheets. More recently he has begun work on cryosphere-climate interactions and feedbacks through a combined modelling and observational approach.
He is also involved in remote sensing research in the department and has interests in the use of remote sensing data for a variety of other applications such as the generation of digital elevation models and in oceanography
- van den Broeke, M, Bamber, JL, Ettema, J, Rignot, E, Schrama, E, Berg, WJvd, van Meijgaard, E, Velicogna, I & Wouters, B 2009, Partitioning Recent Greenland Mass Loss. Science, vol 326., pp. 984-986
Read more >
- De Rydt, J, Gudmundsson, GH, Rott, H & Bamber, JL 2015, Modeling the instantaneous response of glaciers after the collapse of the Larsen B Ice Shelf. Geophysical Research Letters, vol 42., pp. 5355-5363
- Zammit-Mangion, A, Rougier, J, Schön, N, Lindgren, F & Bamber, J 2015, Multivariate spatio-temporal modelling for assessing Antarctica's present-day contribution to sea-level rise. Environmetrics, vol 26., pp. 159-177
- Wouters, B, Martin-Español, A, Helm, V, Flament, T, Van Wessem, JM, Ligtenberg, SRM, Broeke, MRVD & Bamber, JL 2015, Dynamic thinning of glaciers on the Southern Antarctic Peninsula. Science, vol 348., pp. 899-903
- Overeem, I, Hudson, B, Welty, E, Mikkelsen, A, Bamber, J, Petersen, D, Lewinter, A & Hasholt, B 2015, River inundation suggests ice-sheet runoff retention. Journal of Glaciology, vol 61., pp. 776-788
- Proshutinsky, A, Dukhovskoy, D, Timmermans, ML, Krishfield, R & Bamber, JL 2015, Arctic circulation regimes. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society A: Mathematical, Physical and Engineering Sciences, vol 373.
- Schoen, N, Zammit-Mangion, A, Rougier, JC, Flament, T, Rémy, F, Luthcke, S & Bamber, JL 2015, Simultaneous solution for mass trends on the West Antarctic Ice Sheet. The Cryosphere, vol 9., pp. 805-819
- Wang, F, Bamber, JL & Cheng, X 2015, Accuracy and Performance of CryoSat-2 SARIn Mode Data Over Antarctica. IEEE Geoscience and Remote Sensing Letters, vol 12., pp. 1516-1520
- Wright, AP, Young, DA, Bamber, JL, Dowdeswell, JA, Payne, AJ, Blankenship, DD & Siegert, MJ 2014, Subglacial hydrological connectivity within the Byrd Glacier catchment, East Antarctica. Journal of Glaciology, vol 60., pp. 345-352
- Khan, SA, Kjær, KH, Bevis, M, Bamber, JL, Wahr, J, Kjeldsen, KK, Bjørk, AA, Korsgaard, NJ, Stearns, LA, Broeke, MRVD, Liu, L, Larsen, NK & Muresan, IS 2014, Sustained mass loss of the northeast Greenland ice sheet triggered by regional warming. Nature Climate Change, vol 4., pp. 292-299
Professor Bamber currently teaches 1 courses:
Edit this profile If you are Professor Jonathan Bamber, you can edit this page. Login required.