Browse/search for people
Professor Jonathan Bamber
Professor Jonathan Bamber
Professor (Royal Society Wolfson Research Merit Award Holder)
Area of research
Professor of Physical Geography
Jonathan Bamber is a professor in physical geography. He graduated from Bristol University with a degree in Physics in 1983 and went on to complete a Ph.D at the Scott Polar Research Institute, University of Cambridge, in glaciology and remote sensing. He then spent eight years in the Department of Space and Climate Physics, University College London before returning to Bristol in 1996. His main areas of interest are in applications of remote sensing data in the polar regions. More specifically, he has been working on the use of remote sensing data to elucidate the morphology and dynamics of the Antarctic and Greenland ice sheets. More recently he has begun work on cryosphere-climate interactions and feedbacks through a combined modelling and observational approach.
He is also involved in remote sensing research in the department and has interests in the use of remote sensing data for a variety of other applications such as the generation of digital elevation models and in oceanography
- Broeke, Mvd, Bamber, JL, Ettema, J, Rignot, E, Schrama, E, Berg, WJvd, Meijgaard, Ev, Velicogna, I & Wouters, B 2009, Partitioning Recent Greenland Mass Loss. Science, vol 326., pp. 984-986
Read more >
- Zammit-Mangion, A, Rougier, J, Schön, N, Lindgren, F & Bamber, J 2015, Multivariate spatio-temporal modelling for assessing Antarctica's present-day contribution to sea-level rise. Environmetrics.
- Wright, AP, Young, DA, Bamber, JL, Dowdeswell, JA, Payne, AJ, Blankenship, DD & Siegert, MJ 2014, Subglacial hydrological connectivity within the Byrd Glacier catchment, East Antarctica. Journal of Glaciology, vol 60., pp. 345-352
- Hurkmans, RTWL, Bamber, JL, Davis, CH, Joughin, IR, Khvorostovsky, KS, Smith, BS & Schoen, N 2014, Time-evolving mass loss of the Greenland Ice Sheet from satellite altimetry. The Cryosphere, vol 8., pp. 1725-1740
- Howard, T, Pardaens, AK, Bamber, JL, Ridley, J, Spada, G, Hurkmans, RTWL, Lowe, JA & Vaughan, D 2014, Sources of 21st century regional sea-level rise along the coast of northwest Europe. Ocean Science, vol 10., pp. 473-483
- Howard, T, Ridley, J, Pardaens, AK, Hurkmans, RTWL, Payne, AJ, Giesen, RH, Lowe, JA, Bamber, JL, Edwards, TL & Oerlemans, J 2014, The land-ice contribution to 21st-century dynamic sea level rise. Ocean Science, vol 10., pp. 485-500
- Khan, SA, Kjær, KH, Bevis, M, Bamber, JL, Wahr, J, Kjeldsen, KK, Bjørk, AA, Korsgaard, NJ, Stearns, LA, Broeke, MRVD, Liu, L, Larsen, NK & Muresan, IS 2014, Sustained mass loss of the northeast Greenland ice sheet triggered by regional warming. Nature Climate Change, vol 4., pp. 292-299
- Van Wessem, JM, Reijmer, CH, Morlighem, M, Mouginot, J, Rignot, E, Medley, B, Joughin, I, Wouters, B, Depoorter, MA, Bamber, JL, Lenaerts, JTM, De Berg, WJV, Broeke, MRVD & Van Meijgaard, E 2014, Improved representation of East Antarctic surface mass balance in a regional atmospheric climate model. Journal of Glaciology, vol 60., pp. 761-770
- Depoorter, MA, Bamber, JL, Griggs, JA, Lenaerts, JTM, Ligtenberg, SRM, Broeke, MRVD & Moholdt, G 2013, Erratum: Calving fluxes and basal melt rates of Antarctic ice shelves (Nature (2013) 502 (89-92) DOI: 10.1038/nature12567). Nature, vol 502.
- Fretwell, P, Pritchard, HD, Vaughan, DG, Bamber, JL, Barrand, NE, Bell, R, Bianchi, C, Bingham, RG, Blankenship, DD, Casassa, G, Catania, G, Callens, D, Conway, H, Cook, AJ, Corr, HFJ, Damaske, D, Damm, V, Ferraccioli, F, Forsberg, R, Fujita, S, Gim, Y, Gogineni, P, Griggs, JA, Hindmarsh, RCA, Holmlund, P, Holt, JW, Jacobel, RW, Jenkins, A, Jokat, W, Jordan, T, King, EC, Kohler, J, Krabill, W, Riger-Kusk, M, Langley, KA, Leitchenkov, G, Leuschen, C, Luyendyk, BP, Matsuoka, K, Mouginot, J, Nitsche, FO, Nogi, Y, Nost, OA, Popov, SV, Rignot, E, Rippin, DM, Rivera, A, Roberts, J, Ross, N, Siegert, MJ, Smith, AM, Steinhage, D, Studinger, M, Sun, B, Tinto, BK, Welch, BC, Wilson, D, Young, DA, Xiangbin, C & Zirizzotti, A 2013, Bedmap2: improved ice bed, surface and thickness datasets for Antarctica. The Cryosphere, vol 7., pp. 375-393
Professor Bamber currently teaches 1 courses:
Edit this profile If you are Professor Jonathan Bamber, you can edit this page. Login required.