Browse/search for people
Professor Jonathan Bamber
Professor Jonathan Bamber
Area of research
Professor of Physical Geography
Jonathan Bamber is a professor in physical geography. He graduated from Bristol University with a degree in Physics in 1983 and went on to complete a Ph.D at the Scott Polar Research Institute, University of Cambridge, in glaciology and remote sensing. He then spent eight years in the Department of Space and Climate Physics, University College London before returning to Bristol in 1996. His main areas of interest are in applications of remote sensing data in the polar regions. More specifically, he has been working on the use of remote sensing data to elucidate the morphology and dynamics of the Antarctic and Greenland ice sheets. More recently he has begun work on cryosphere-climate interactions and feedbacks through a combined modelling and observational approach.
He is also involved in remote sensing research in the department and has interests in the use of remote sensing data for a variety of other applications such as the generation of digital elevation models and in oceanography
- Broeke, Mvd, Bamber, JL, Ettema, J, Rignot, E, Schrama, E, Berg, WJvd, Meijgaard, Ev, Velicogna, I & Wouters, B 2009, Partitioning Recent Greenland Mass Loss. Science, vol 326., pp. 984-986
Read more >
- Mangion, AZ, Rougier, JC, Bamber, JL & Schoen, NW 2013, Resolving the Antarctic contribution to sea-level rise: a hierarchical modelling framework. Environmetrics.
- Fretwell, P, Pritchard, HD, Vaughan, DG, Bamber, JL, Barrand, NE, Bell, R, Bianchi, C, Bingham, RG, Blankenship, DD, Casassa, G, Catania, G, Callens, D, Conway, H, Cook, AJ, Corr, HFJ, Damaske, D, Damm, V, Ferraccioli, F, Forsberg, R, Fujita, S, Gim, Y, Gogineni, P, Griggs, JA, Hindmarsh, RCA, Holmlund, P, Holt, JW, Jacobel, RW, Jenkins, A, Jokat, W, Jordan, T, King, EC, Kohler, J, Krabill, W, Riger-Kusk, M, Langley, KA, Leitchenkov, G, Leuschen, C, Luyendyk, BP, Matsuoka, K, Mouginot, J, Nitsche, FO, Nogi, Y, Nost, OA, Popov, SV, Rignot, E, Rippin, DM, Rivera, A, Roberts, J, Ross, N, Siegert, MJ, Smith, AM, Steinhage, D, Studinger, M, Sun, B, Tinto, BK, Welch, BC, Wilson, D, Young, DA, Xiangbin, C & Zirizzotti, A 2013, Bedmap2: improved ice bed, surface and thickness datasets for Antarctica. The Cryosphere, vol 7., pp. 375-393
- Bamber, JL, Griggs, JA, Hurkmans, RTWL, Dowdeswell, JA, Gogineni, SP, Howat, I, Mouginot, J, Paden, J, Palmer, S, Rignot, E & Steinhage, D 2013, A new bed elevation dataset for Greenland. The Cryosphere, vol 7., pp. 499-510
- Khan, SA, Kjaer, KH, Korsgaard, NJ, Wahr, J, Joughin, IR, Timm, LH, Bamber, JL, Broeke, MRvd, Stearns, LA, Hamilton, GS, Csatho, BM, Nielsen, K, Hurkmans, R & Babonis, G 2013, Recurring dynamically induced thinning during 1985 to 2010 on Upernavik Isstrom, West Greenland. Journal of Geophysical Research: Earth Surface, vol 118., pp. 111-121
- Vernon, CL, Bamber, JL, Box, JE, Broeke, MRvd, Fettweis, X, Hanna, E & Huybrechts, P 2013, Surface mass balance model intercomparison for the Greenland ice sheet. The Cryosphere, vol 7., pp. 599-614
- Bamber, JL, Siegert, MJ, Griggs, JA, Marshall, S & Spada, G 2013, Paleofluvial Mega-Canyon Beneath the Central Greenland Ice Sheet. Science, vol 341., pp. 997-999
- Wouters, B, Bamber, JL, den, BMv, Lenaerts, JTM & Sasgen, I 2013, Limits in detecting acceleration of ice sheet mass loss due to climate variability. Nature Geoscience.
- Depoorter, MA, Bamber, JL, Griggs, JA, Lenaerts, J, Ligtenberg, S, Broeke, MVd & Moholdt, G 2013, Calving fluxes and melt rates of Antarctic ice shelves. Nature, vol 502., pp. 89-92
- Kjeldsen, KK, Khan, SA, Wahr, J, Korsgaard, NJ, Kjaer, KH, Bjork, AA, Hurkmans, R, Broeke, MRvd, Bamber, JL & Angelen, JHv 2013, Improved ice loss estimate of the northwestern Greenland ice sheet. Journal of Geophysical Research: Solid Earth, vol 118., pp. 698-708
Professor Bamber currently teaches 1 courses:
Edit this profile If you are Professor Jonathan Bamber, you can edit this page. Login required.