Browse/search for people
Dr Jeffrey Neal
Dr Jeffrey Neal
Lecturer in Physical Geography
Area of research
Hydraulic Modelling, Flood Risk and Data Assimilation
My research interests include the development of hydraulic models and the assimilation of observations with such models across and range of spatial scales. I also undertake research to support flood risk management, which includes work on modelling flood hazard in urban areas and methods to increase the computational efficiency of hydraulic models.
I’m currently a Lecturer in Physical Geography and a developer of the LISFLOOD-FP hydraulic model.
- Hydraulic modelling
- Neal, J, Schumann, G & Bates, P, 2012, A subgrid channel model for simulating river hydraulics and floodplain inundation over large and data sparse areas. Water Resources Research, vol 48.
- Neal, J, Keef, C, Bates, P, Beven, K & Leedal, D, 2012, Probabilistic flood risk mapping including spatial dependence. Hydrological Processes.
- Neal, J, Bates, P, Fewtrell, T, Hunter, N, Wilson, M & Horritt, M, 2009, Distributed whole city water level measurements from the Carlisle 2005 urban flood event and comparison with hydraulic model simulations. Journal of Hydrology, vol 368., pp. 42 - 55
- Trigg, M, Birch, C, Neal, J, Bates, P, Smith, A, Sampson, C, Yamazaki, D, Hirabayashi, Y, Pappenberger, F, Dutra, E, Ward, PJ, Winsemius, HC, Salamon, P, Dottori, F, Rudari, R, Kappes, M, Simpson, A, Hadzilacos, G & Fewtrell, T, 2016, The credibility challenge for global fluvial flood risk analysis. Environmental Research Letters, vol 11.
- Durand, M, Gleason, CJ, Garambois, PA, Bjerklie, D, Smith, LC, Roux, H, Rodriguez, E, Bates, PD, Pavelsky, TM, Monnier, J, Chen, X, Di Baldassarre, G, Fiset, JM, Flipo, N, Frasson, RPdM, Fulton, J, Goutal, N, Hossain, F, Humphries, E, Minear, JT, Mukolwe, MM, Neal, JC, Ricci, S, Sanders, BF, Schumann, GJ, Schubert, JE & Vilmin, L, 2016, An intercomparison of remote sensing river discharge estimation algorithms from measurements of river height, width, and slope. Water Resources Research, vol 52., pp. 4527?4549
Read more >
- Altenau, EH, Pavelsky, TM, Bates, PD & Neal, JC, 2017, The effects of spatial resolution and dimensionality on modeling regional-scale hydraulics in a multichannel river. Water Resources Research.
- Schumann, GJP, Stampoulis, D, Smith, AM, Sampson, CC, Andreadis, KM, Neal, JC & Bates, PD, 2016, Rethinking flood hazard at the global scale. Geophysical Research Letters, vol 43., pp. 10249-10256
- Gobeyn, S, Van Wesemael, A, Neal, J, Lievens, H, Van Eerdenbrugh, K, De Vleeschouwer, N, Schumann, G, Di Baldassarre, G, De Baets, B, Bates, P & Verhoest, NEC, 2016, Impact of the timing of a SAR image acquisition on the calibration of a flood inundation model. Advances in Water Resources, vol 100., pp. 126-138
- Fernández, A, Najafi, MR, Durand, M, Mark, BG, Moritz, M, Jung, HC, Neal, J, Shastry, A, Laborde, S, Phang, SC, Hamilton, IM & Xiao, N, 2016, Testing the skill of numerical hydraulic modeling to simulate spatiotemporal flooding patterns in the Logone floodplain, Cameroon. Journal of Hydrology, vol 539., pp. 265-280
- O'Loughlin, FE, Neal, JC, Yamazaki, D & Bates, PD, 2016, ICESat-derived inland water surface spot heights. Water Resources Research, vol 52., pp. 3276-3284
Dr Neal currently teaches 1 courses:
Edit this profile If you are Dr Jeffrey Neal, you can edit this page. Login required.