Browse/search for people
Dr Christopher Deeming
Dr Christopher Deeming
BScHons(Bath), MA(Brunel), PhD(Bristol)
The 21st century is presenting enormous challenges; Dr Deeming’s work at Bristol University speaks to some of the world’s most pressing social problems and issues, including poverty alleviation, social protection, social investment and well-being, food security, ageing populations and climate change.
Deeming's research interests lie in Comparative Social Policy analysis (particularly social welfare systems, global inequality and poverty, health and wellbeing, social security and care services). He received his degree in Sociology from the University of Bath and his Ph.D. from the University of Bristol with a dissertation supervised by Peter Townsend. Previously based at the University of London and the University of New South Wales. He is the Book Reviews Editor for the Journal of Social Policy and a member of the Editorial Board for the Journal of Sociology.
- Deeming, C 2015, Defining Minimum Income (and Living) Standards in Europe: methodological issues and policy debates. Social Policy and Society.
- Deeming, C 2015, Rethinking Social Policy and Society. Social Policy and Society.
- Deeming, C & Smyth, P 2015, Social Investment After Neoliberalism: Policy Paradigms and Political Platforms. Journal of Social Policy, vol 44., pp. 297-318
- Deeming, C 2014, Foundations of the Workfare State: Reflections on the Political Transformation of the Welfare State in Britain. Social Policy & Administration.
- Deeming, C 2013, Social Democracy and Social Policy in Neoliberal Times. Journal of Sociology, vol 50., pp. 577-600
- Deeming, C 2013, Addressing the Social Determinants of Subjective Wellbeing: The Latest Challenge for Social Policy?. Journal of Social Policy, vol 42., pp. 541-565
- Deeming, C 2013, The Working Class and Welfare: Francis G. Castles on the Political Development of the Welfare State in Australia and New Zealand Thirty Years On. Social Policy & Administration, vol 47., pp. 668?691
- Deeming, C 2013, Trials and Tribulations: The 'Use' (and 'Misuse') of Evidence in Public Policy. Social Policy & Administration, vol 47., pp. 359-381
- Deeming, C & Hayes, D 2012, Worlds of Welfare Capitalism and Wellbeing: A Multilevel Analysis. Journal of Social Policy, vol 41., pp. 811-829
- Deeming, C & Gubhaju, B 2014, The mis-measurement of extreme global poverty: A case study in the Pacific Islands. Journal of Sociology.
- Deeming, C 2011, Determining Minimum Standards of Living: Methodological Issues. Journal of Sociology, vol 47., pp. 17-34
- Deeming, C 2011, Food and Nutrition Security at Risk in the United Kingdom. Journal of Social Policy, vol 40., pp. 471-492
- Deeming, C 2010, The Historical Development of Family Budget Standards in Britain, from the 17th Century to the Present. Social Policy & Administration, vol 44., pp. 765-788
- Deeming, C 2009, Determining Semi-Normative Poverty Lines Using Social Survey Data. Social Policy & Administration, vol 43., pp. 270-289
- Deeming, C 2009, Active Ageing in the United Kingdom. Policy & Politics, vol 37., pp. 93-111
- Deeming, C 2005, Minimum Income Standards: How might Budget Standards be set?. Journal of Social Policy, vol 34., pp. 619-636
- Deeming, C 2004, Policy Targets and Ethical Tensions. Social Policy & Administration, vol 38., pp. 775-792
- Deeming, C & Keen, J 2003, A Fair Deal for Care in Older Age. Policy & Politics, vol 31., pp. 431-446
Read more >
Dr Deeming currently teaches 1 courses:
Edit this profile If you are Dr Christopher Deeming, you can edit this page. Login required.