Browse/search for people
Dr Alexandre Anesio
Dr Alexandre Anesio
Reader in Biogeochemistry
BSc, MSc(Rio de Janeiro, Brazil), PhD(Lund, Sweden)
Area of research
Biogeochemistry of the cryosphere
My research interests are broad, and I combine concepts from Geography, Biology and Chemistry to understand carbon cycle in the cryosphere. My research has concentrated in two broad areas. Firstly, I study microbes in the cryosphere. Against all expectations glaciers harbour a highly active microbial community. Bacteria, viruses and microscopic plants thrive in conditions that might be analogous to other planets and to early Earth. Second, I am also interested in a range of climate (e.g., UV radiation and acid rain) and human impacts (e.g., mining, sewage, pesticides) on freshwaters.
- microbial life in extreme environments
aquatic microbial ecology
- Telling, J, Anesio, A, Tranter, M, Irvine-Fynn, T, Hodson, A, Butler, C & Wadham, J 2011, Nitrogen fixation on Arctic glaciers, Svalbard. Journal of Geophysical Research - Biogeosciences, vol 116., pp. G03039
- Anesio, A & Laybourn-Parry, J 2012, Glaciers and ice sheets as a biome. Trends in Ecology and Evolution, vol 27., pp. 219 - 225
- Anesio, A, Hodson, A, Fritz, A, Psenner, R & Sattler, B 2009, High microbial activity on glaciers: importance to the global carbon cycle. Global Change Biology, vol 15.
- Säwström, C, Granéli, W, Laybourn-Parry, J & Anesio, A 2007, High viral infection rates in Antarctic and Arctic bacterioplankton. Environmental Microbiology, vol 9 (1)., pp. 250 - 255
- Mindl, B, Anesio, A, Meirer, K, Hodson, A, Laybourn-Parry, J, Sommaruga, R & Sattler, B 2007, Factors influencing bacterial dynamics along a transect from supraglacial runoff to proglacial lakes of a high Arctic glacier. FEMS Microbiology Ecology, vol 59., pp. 307 - 317
- Yallop, ML, Anesio, AMB, Perkins, RG, Cook, J, Telling, JP, Fagan, DT, MacFarlane, JW, Stibal, M, Barker, GLA, Bellas, CM, Hodson, A, Tranter, M, Wadham, JL & Roberts, NW 2012, Photophysiology and albedo-changing potential of the ice algal community on the surface of the Greenland ice sheet. ISME Journal, vol 6., pp. 2302?2313
Read more >
- Laybourn-Parry, J, Anesio, AMB, Madan, N & Sawstrom, C 2013, Virus dynamics in a large epishelf lake (Beaver lake, Antarctica).. Freshwater Biology.
- Edwards, A, Douglas, B, Anesio, AMB, Rassner, S, Irvine-Fynn, T, Sattler, B & Griffith, G 2013, A distinctive fungal community inhabiting cryoconite holes on glaciers in Svalbard. Fungal Ecology, vol 6., pp. 168-176
- Telling, J, Anesio, A, Tranter, M, Stibal, M, Hawkings, J, Irvine-Fynn, T, Hodson, A, Butler, C, Yallop, M & Wadham, J 2012, Controls on the autochthonous production and respiration of organic matter in cryoconite holes on High Arctic glaciers. Journal of Geophysical Research, vol 117., pp. G01017
- Stibal, M, Wadham, JL, Lis, G, Telling, JP, Pancost, RD, Dubnick, A, Sharp, M, Lawson, EC, Butler, CE, Hasan, F, Tranter, M & Anesio, AMB 2012, Methanogenic potential of Arctic and Antarctic subglacial environments with contrasting organic carbon sources. Global Change Biology.
Dr Anesio currently teaches 5 courses:
Edit this profile If you are Dr Alexandre Anesio, you can edit this page. Login required.