Browse/search for people
Dr Olivia Maynard
Dr Olivia Maynard
Senior Research Associate
My interests are in healthy behaviour change and choice architecture interventions ("nudging"), with a focus on tobacco and alcohol use. I use a wide range of experimental techniques including eye-tracking, electroencephalography (EEG), functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI), randomised controlled trials (RCTs) and naturalistic field studies. The work conducted during my PhD (completed in 2014) was some of the first to use cognitive neuroscience techniques to examine the effectiveness of plain packaging for tobacco products. I have recently been awarded a research grant from CRUK to develop this experimental work and examine how choice architecture interventions can optimise tobacco health warnings among daily cigarette smokers.
I am always keen to engage the public and policy makers with my research. My research on plain packaging contributed to UK and worldwide policy debates on this issue and I was awarded an ESRC Outstanding Engagement Award for this work. In addition to running public engagement events at festivals and other public events, I regularly blog about research for the Mental Elf site and have also blogged for the Guardian.
- Research Associate, University of Bristol (2014-present)
- PhD Experimental Psychology, University of Bristol (2010-2014)
Selected awards and prizes
- British Association of Psychopharmacology President's Poster Prize (2015)
- ESRC Outstanding Early Career Impact Prize (2014)
- University of Bristol 2014 Engagement Award (2014)
- The All-Party Parliamentary Group on Medical Research Poster Prize (2014)
- ESRC Research Fellowship Placement Scheme Award (2013)
- The Troscianko Prize for Outstanding Excellence in Presenting Research (2013)
- Postgraduate Tobacco Control Course, UK Centre for Tobacco Control (2013-2015)
- Undergraduate Neuropsychology, University of Bristol (2012-2014)
- Undergraduate Individual Differences, University of Bristol (2014)
- Masters project co-supervisor (2015)
- Summer placement co-supervisor (2012-2015)
- Third year project co-supervisior (2012-2015)
- Maynard, O, Misak, M & Munafo, M, 2016, Variation in health warning effectiveness on cigarette packs: a need for regulation?. European Journal of Public Health, vol 26., pp. 836-838
- Maynard, OM, Brooks, JCW, Munafò, MR & Leonards, U, 2016, Neural Mechanisms Underlying Visual Attention to Health Warnings on Branded and Plain Cigarette Packs. Addiction.
- Troy, D, Attwood, A, Maynard, O, Scott-Samuel, N, Hickman, M, Marteau, T & Munafo, M, 2016, Effect of glass markings on drinking rate in social alcohol drinkers. European Journal of Public Health.
- Stothart, G, Maynard, OM, Lavis, RJ & Munafo, MR, 2016, Neural correlates of cigarette health warning avoidance among smokers. Drug and Alcohol Dependence, vol 161., pp. 155-162
- Maynard, OM, Leonards, U, Attwood, AS, Bauld, L, Hogarth, L & Munafò, MR, 2015, Effects of first exposure to plain cigarette packaging on smoking behaviour and attitudes: a randomised controlled study. British Medical Council Public Health, vol 15.
- Hogarth, L, Maynard, OM, Munafò, MR & Maynard, O, 2015, Plain cigarette packs do not exert Pavlovian to instrumental transfer of control over tobacco-seeking. Addiction, vol 110., pp. 174-182
- Maynard, OM, Skinner, AL, Troy, DM, Attwood, AS & Munafò, MR, 2015, Association of Alcohol Consumption with Perception of Attractiveness in a Naturalistic Environment. Alcohol and Alcoholism., pp. 142-147
- Troy, D, Maynard, O, Hickman, M, Attwood, A & Munafo, M, 2015, The Effect of Glass Shape on Alcohol Consumption in a Naturalistic Setting: A Feasibility Study. Pilot and Feasibility Studies, vol 1.
- Maynard, OM, Leonards, U, Attwood, AS, Bauld, L, Hogarth, L & Munafò, MR, 2014, Plain packaging of cigarettes and smoking behavior: study protocol for a randomized controlled study. Trials, vol 15., pp. 252
- Maynard, OM, Attwood, A, O'Brien, L, Brooks, S, Hedge, C, Leonards, U & Munafò, MR, 2014, Avoidance of cigarette pack health warnings among regular cigarette smokers. Drug and Alcohol Dependence.
Edit this profile If you are Dr Olivia Maynard, you can edit this page. Login required.