Browse/search for people
Professor Marcus Munafo
Professor Marcus Munafo
Professor of Biological Psychology
MA(Oxon), MSc, PhD(Soton)
Area of research
Genetic and cognitive influences on addictive behaviour
Professor Munafò’s research focuses on understanding pathways into, and the consequences of, health behaviours and mental health, with a particular focus on tobacco and alcohol use. This work incudes: 1) observational and genetic epidemiology, and the use of a range of methods that enable stronger causal inference from observational data, such as negative control and Mendelian randomization methods; 2) the laboratory study of cognitive and neurobiological mechanistic pathways that underpin exposure-outcome relationships; and 3) the development of novel individual- and population-level interventions that target these mechanisms, including choice architecture interventions. This work has informed ongoing policy debates, such as the introduction of standardised (“plain”) packaging for tobacco products. He also has interests in the role of incentive structures in science, and the extent to which these shape the robustness and reproducibility of scientific research.
- Professor of Biological Psychology, School of Experimental Psychology, University of Bristol (2010-present)
- Reader in Biological Psychology, Department of Experimental Psychology, University of Bristol (2007-2010)
- Lecturer, Department of Experimental Psychology, University of Bristol (2005-2007)
- Visiting Professor, Department of Psychiatry, University of Pennsylvania (2004-2005)
- Research Fellow, Department of Clinical Pharmacology, University of Oxford (1999-2005)
Video of Professor Marcus Munafo.
Experimental Psychology B.Sc.
- Individual Differences, Year 2
- Transport Research Laboratory
- Servier Ltd
- World Health Organisation
Current PhD students
- Olivia Maynard: "Visual Search and Tobacco Packaging"
- Jennifer Ware: "Molecular Genetics of Nicotine Addiction" (University of Cardiff)
- Michael Anderson: "Translational Model of Depression"
- Kate Button: "Cognitive Processes in Social Anxiety"
- Suzi Gage: "Cannabis Use and Psychosis"
Current research is in the area of the genetic determinants of addictive behaviours, in particular alcohol and nicotine use, and in the role of human personality in explaining the association between genetic variation and addictive behaviours.
- Lassi, G, Taylor, A, Timpson, N, Kenny, PJ, Mather, RJ, Eisen, T & Munafo, M, 2016, The CHRNA5-A3-B4 gene cluster and smoking: From discovery to therapeutics. Trends in Neurosciences.
- Lumsden, JA, Skinner, AL, Woods, AT, Lawrence, NS & Munafo, MR, 2016, The effects of gamelike features and test location on cognitive test performance and participant enjoyment. PeerJ, vol 4.
- Taylor, A, Martin, R, Geybels, M, Stanford, JL, Shui, I, Eeles, R, Easton, D, Kote-Jarai, Z, Al Olama, AA, Benlloch, S, Muir, K, Giles, GG, Wiklund, F, Grönberg, H, Haiman, CA, Schleutker, J, Nordestgaard, BG, Travis, RC, Neal, DE, Pashayan, N, Khaw, KT, Blot, WJ, Thibodeau, S, Maier, C, Kibel, AS, Cybulski, C, Cannon-Albright, L, Brenner, H, Park, J, Kaneva, R, Batra, J, Teixeira, MR, Pandha, H, PRACTICAL, CT, Donovan, J & Munafo, M, 2016, Investigating the possible causal role of coffee consumption with prostate cancer risk and progression using Mendelian randomization analysis. International Journal of Cancer.
- Fluharty, ME, Taylor, AE, Grabski, M & Munafò, MR, 2016, The Association of Cigarette Smoking with Depression and Anxiety: A systematic review. Nicotine and Tobacco Research.
- Maynard, O, Misak, M & Munafo, M, 2016, Variation in health warning effectiveness on cigarette packs: a need for regulation?. European Journal of Public Health, vol 26., pp. 836-838
- Nivard, MG, Lubke, GH, Dolan, CV, Evans, D, St. Pourcain, B, Munafo, M & Middeldorp, CM, 2016, Joint developmental trajectories of internalizing and externalizing disorders between childhood and adolescence. Development and Psychopathology.
- Pechey, R, Couturier, D-L, Hollands, GJ, Mantzari, E, Munafo, MR & Marteau, TM, 2016, Does wine glass size influence sales for on-site consumption?: A multiple treatment reversal design. BMC Public Health, vol 16.
- Munafò, M, 2016, Open Science and Research Reproducibility. Ecancermedicalscience, vol 10.
- Gage, S, Smith, GD & Munafo, M, 2016, Schizophrenia and neighborhood deprivation. Translational Psychiatry.
Edit this profile If you are Professor Marcus Munafo, you can edit this page. Login required.