Browse/search for people
Professor Marcus Munafo
Professor Marcus Munafo
Professor of Biological Psychology
MA(Oxon), MSc, PhD(Soton)
Area of research
Genetic and cognitive influences on addictive behaviour
Professor Munafò’s research focuses on understanding pathways into, and the consequences of, health behaviours and mental health, with a particular focus on tobacco and alcohol use. This work incudes: 1) observational and genetic epidemiology, and the use of a range of methods that enable stronger causal inference from observational data, such as negative control and Mendelian randomization methods; 2) the laboratory study of cognitive and neurobiological mechanistic pathways that underpin exposure-outcome relationships; and 3) the development of novel individual- and population-level interventions that target these mechanisms, including choice architecture interventions. This work has informed ongoing policy debates, such as the introduction of standardised (“plain”) packaging for tobacco products. He also has interests in the role of incentive structures in science, and the extent to which these shape the robustness and reproducibility of scientific research.
- Professor of Biological Psychology, School of Experimental Psychology, University of Bristol (2010-present)
- Reader in Biological Psychology, Department of Experimental Psychology, University of Bristol (2007-2010)
- Lecturer, Department of Experimental Psychology, University of Bristol (2005-2007)
- Visiting Professor, Department of Psychiatry, University of Pennsylvania (2004-2005)
- Research Fellow, Department of Clinical Pharmacology, University of Oxford (1999-2005)
Video of Professor Marcus Munafo.
Experimental Psychology B.Sc.
- Individual Differences, Year 2
- Transport Research Laboratory
- Servier Ltd
- World Health Organisation
Current PhD students
- Olivia Maynard: "Visual Search and Tobacco Packaging"
- Jennifer Ware: "Molecular Genetics of Nicotine Addiction" (University of Cardiff)
- Michael Anderson: "Translational Model of Depression"
- Kate Button: "Cognitive Processes in Social Anxiety"
- Suzi Gage: "Cannabis Use and Psychosis"
Current research is in the area of the genetic determinants of addictive behaviours, in particular alcohol and nicotine use, and in the role of human personality in explaining the association between genetic variation and addictive behaviours.
- Fluharty, ME, Taylor, AE, Grabski, M & Munafò, MR, 2016, The Association of Cigarette Smoking with Depression and Anxiety: A systematic review. Nicotine and Tobacco Research.
- Goodwin, GM, Haddad, PM, Ferrier, IN, Aronson, JK, Barnes, TRH, Cipriani, A, Coghill, DR, Fazel, S, Geddes, JR, Grunze, H, Holmes, EA, Howes, O, Hudson, S, Hunt, N, Jones, I, MacMillan, IC, McAllister-Williams, H, Miklowitz, DR, Morriss, R, Munafò, M, Paton, C, Saharkian, BJ, Saunders, KEA, Sinclair, JMA, Taylor, D, Vieta, E & Young, AH, 2016, Evidence-based guidelines for treating bipolar disorder: Revised third edition recommendations from the British Association for Psychopharmacology. Journal of psychopharmacology (Oxford, England), vol 30., pp. 495-553
- Chen, J, Bacanu, SA, Yu, H, Zhao, Z, Jia, P, Kendler, KS, Kranzler, HR, Gelernter, J, Farrer, L, Minica, C, Pool, R, Milaneschi, Y, Boomsma, DI, Penninx, BWJH, Tyndale, RF, Ware, JJ, Vink, JM, Kaprio, J, Munafò, M & Chen, X, 2016, Genetic Relationship between Schizophrenia and Nicotine Dependence. Scientific Reports, vol 6.
- Treur, JL, Taylor, AE, Ware, JJ, McMahon, G, Hottenga, J-J, Baselmans, BML, Willemsen, G, Boomsma, DI, Munafò, MR & Vink, JM, 2016, Associations between smoking and caffeine consumption in two European cohorts. Addiction, vol 111., pp. 1059-1068
- Teasdale, JE, Newby, AC, Timpson, NJ, Munafò, MR & White, SJ, 2016, Cigarette smoke but not electronic cigarette aerosol activates a stress response in human coronary artery endothelial cells in culture. Drug and Alcohol Dependence.
- Munafò, MR, Lönn, SL, Sundquist, J, Sundquist, K & Kendler, K, 2016, Snus use and risk of schizophrenia and non-affective psychosis. Drug and Alcohol Dependence.
- Wit, Hd, Rossi, R, Zammit, S, Button, KS, Munafò, MR, Lewis, G & David, AS, 2016, Psychotic experiences and working memory: a population-based study using signal-detection analysis. PLoS ONE, vol 11.
- Dalili, M, Schofield-Toloza, L, Munafo, M & Penton-Voak, I, 2016, Emotion Recognition Training Using Composite Faces Generalises Across Identities but Not All Emotions. Cognition and Emotion.
- Stothart, G, Maynard, OM, Lavis, RJ & Munafo, MR, 2016, Neural correlates of cigarette health warning avoidance among smokers. Drug and Alcohol Dependence, vol 161., pp. 155-162
Edit this profile If you are Professor Marcus Munafo, you can edit this page. Login required.