Browse/search for people
Professor Marcus Munafo
Professor Marcus Munafo
Professor of Biological Psychology
MA(Oxon), MSc, PhD(Soton)
Area of research
Genetic and cognitive influences on addictive behaviour
Professor Munafò’s research focuses on understanding pathways into, and the consequences of, health behaviours and mental health, with a particular focus on tobacco and alcohol use. This work incudes: 1) observational and genetic epidemiology, and the use of a range of methods that enable stronger causal inference from observational data, such as negative control and Mendelian randomization methods; 2) the laboratory study of cognitive and neurobiological mechanistic pathways that underpin exposure-outcome relationships; and 3) the development of novel individual- and population-level interventions that target these mechanisms, including choice architecture interventions. This work has informed ongoing policy debates, such as the introduction of standardised (“plain”) packaging for tobacco products. He also has interests in the role of incentive structures in science, and the extent to which these shape the robustness and reproducibility of scientific research.
- Professor of Biological Psychology, School of Experimental Psychology, University of Bristol (2010-present)
- Reader in Biological Psychology, Department of Experimental Psychology, University of Bristol (2007-2010)
- Lecturer, Department of Experimental Psychology, University of Bristol (2005-2007)
- Visiting Professor, Department of Psychiatry, University of Pennsylvania (2004-2005)
- Research Fellow, Department of Clinical Pharmacology, University of Oxford (1999-2005)
Video of Professor Marcus Munafo.
Experimental Psychology B.Sc.
- Individual Differences, Year 2
- Transport Research Laboratory
- Servier Ltd
- World Health Organisation
Current PhD students
- Olivia Maynard: "Visual Search and Tobacco Packaging"
- Jennifer Ware: "Molecular Genetics of Nicotine Addiction" (University of Cardiff)
- Michael Anderson: "Translational Model of Depression"
- Kate Button: "Cognitive Processes in Social Anxiety"
- Suzi Gage: "Cannabis Use and Psychosis"
Current research is in the area of the genetic determinants of addictive behaviours, in particular alcohol and nicotine use, and in the role of human personality in explaining the association between genetic variation and addictive behaviours.
- Dumas-Mallet, E, Button, K, Boraud, T, Munafo, M & Gonon, F, 2016, Replication Validity of Initial Association Studies: A Comparison between Psychiatry, Neurology and Four Somatic Diseases. PloS one, vol 11., pp. e0158064
- Skrobot, OA, McKnight, AJ, Passmore, PA, Seripa, D, Mecocci, P, Panza, F, Kalaria, R, Wilcock, G, Munafò, M, Erkinjuntti, T, Karhunen, P, Pessi, T, Martiskainen, M, Love, S, Kehoe, PG & , 2016, A Validation Study of Vascular Cognitive Impairment Genetics Meta-Analysis Findings in an Independent Collaborative Cohort. J Alzheimers Dis.
- Munafò, M, 2016, Understanding the Role of Additives in Tobacco Products. Nicotine and Tobacco Research.
- Pechey, R, Couturier, D-L, Hollands, GJ, Mantzari, E, Munafò, MR & Marteau, TM, 2016, Does wine glass size influence sales for on-site consumption?: A multiple treatment reversal design. British Medical Council Public Health, vol 16., pp. 390
- Munafò, M & Neill, J, 2016, Null is beautiful: On the importance of publishing null results. Journal of psychopharmacology (Oxford, England), vol 30., pp. 585
- Taylor, AE & Munafò, MR, 2016, Triangulating meta-analyses: the example of the serotonin transporter gene, stressful life events and major depression. Health Psychology, vol 4., pp. 23
- Grabski, M, Curran, HV, Nutt, DJ, Husbands, SM, Freeman, TP, Fluharty, M & Munafò, MR, 2016, Behavioral tasks sensitive to acute abstinence and predictive of smoking cessation success: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Addiction.
- Anderson, CJ, Bahník, , Ba;rnett-Cowan, M, Bosco, FA, Chandler, J, Chartier, CR, Cheung, F, Christopherson, CD, Cordes, A, Cremata, EJ, Della Penna, N, Estel, V, Fedor, A, Fitneva, SA, Frank, MC, Grange, JA, Hartshorne, JK, Hasselman, F, Henninger, F, Van Der Hulst, M, Jonas, KJ, Lai, CK, Levitan, CA, Miller, JK, Moore, KS, Meixner, JM, Munafò, MR, Neijenhuijs, KI, Nilsonne, G, Nosek, BA, Plessow, F, Prenoveau, JM, Ricker, AA, Schmidt, K, Spies, JR, Stieger, S, Strohminger, N, Sullivan, GB, Van Aert, RCM, Van Assen, MALM & others 2016, Response to Comment on Estimating the reproducibility of psychological science. Science, vol 351., pp. 1037-1039
- Mokrysz, C, Landy, R, Gage, SH, Munafo, MR, Roiser, JP & Curran, HV, 2016, Are IQ and educational outcomes in teenagers related to their cannabis use? A prospective cohort study. Journal of Psychopharmacology, vol 30., pp. 159-168
Edit this profile If you are Professor Marcus Munafo, you can edit this page. Login required.