Browse/search for people
Professor Marcus Munafo
Professor Marcus Munafo
Professor of Biological Psychology
MA(Oxon), MSc, PhD(Soton)
Area of research
Genetic and cognitive influences on addictive behaviour
My research focuses on the neurobiological and genetic basis for tobacco and alcohol use, including smoking cessation, with two themes: the laboratory study of neurobiological pathways involved in substance use, and the large-scale longitudinal study of genetic influences on substance use and treatment response. Recently, my research has focused on the relationship between health behaviours and both physical and mental health outcomes, using instrumental variables (e.g., Mendelian randomization) and negative control methods to elucidate the causal nature of these relationships. I am also developing programmes of work investigating the role of emotion perception biases in mental health (and the therapeutic potential of modification of these biases), and the potential of choice architecture interventions to shape lifestyle behaviours (e.g., tobacco and alcohol use) and promote public health.
- Professor of Biological Psychology, School of Experimental Psychology, University of Bristol (2010-present)
- Reader in Biological Psychology, Department of Experimental Psychology, University of Bristol (2007-2010)
- Lecturer, Department of Experimental Psychology, University of Bristol (2005-2007)
- Visiting Professor, Department of Psychiatry, University of Pennsylvania (2004-2005)
- Research Fellow, Department of Clinical Pharmacology, University of Oxford (1999-2005)
Video of Professor Marcus Munafo.
Experimental Psychology B.Sc.
- Individual Differences, Year 2
- Transport Research Laboratory
- Servier Ltd
- World Health Organisation
Current PhD students
- Olivia Maynard: "Visual Search and Tobacco Packaging"
- Jennifer Ware: "Molecular Genetics of Nicotine Addiction" (University of Cardiff)
- Michael Anderson: "Translational Model of Depression"
- Kate Button: "Cognitive Processes in Social Anxiety"
- Suzi Gage: "Cannabis Use and Psychosis"
Current research is in the area of the genetic determinants of addictive behaviours, in particular alcohol and nicotine use, and in the role of human personality in explaining the association between genetic variation and addictive behaviours.
- Schuckit, MA, Smith, TL, Heron, J, Hickman, M, Macleod, J, Munafo, MR, Kendler, KS, Dick, DM & Davey-Smith, G 2014, Latent Trajectory Classes for Alcohol-Related Blackouts from Age 15 to 19 in ALSPAC. Alcoholism, clinical and experimental research.
- Taylor, AE, Howe, LD, Heron, JE, Ware, JJ, Hickman, M & Munafo, MR 2014, Maternal smoking during pregnancy and offspring smoking initiation: Assessing the role of intrauterine exposure. Addiction, vol 109., pp. 1013-1021
- Strong, DR, David, SP, Johnstone, EC, Aveyard, P, Murphy, MF & Munafò, M 2014, Differential efficacy of nicotine replacement among overweight and obese women smokers. Nicotine & tobacco research : official journal of the Society for Research on Nicotine and Tobacco.
- Stiby, AI, Hickman, M, Munafò, MR, Heron, J, Yip, VL & Macleod, J 2014, Adolescent Cannabis and Tobacco use and Educational Outcomes at Age 16: Birth Cohort Study. Addiction.
- Taylor, AE, Morris, RW, Fluharty, ME, Bjorngaard, JH, Asvold, BO, Gabrielsen, ME, Campbell, A, Marioni, R, Kumari, M, Hällfors, J, Männistö, S, Marques-Vidal, P, Kaakinen, M, Cavadino, A, Postmus, I, Husemoen, LLN, Skaaby, T, Ahluwalia, TS, Treur, JL, Willemsen, G, Dale, C, Wannamethee, SG, Lahti, J, Palotie, A, Räikkönen, K, Kisialiou, A, McConnachie, A, Padmanabhan, S, Wong, A, Dalgård, C, Paternoster, L, Ben-Shlomo, Y, Tyrrell, J, Horwood, J, Fergusson, DM, Kennedy, MA, Frayling, T, Nohr, EA, Christiansen, L, Kyvik, KO, Kuh, D, Watt, G, Eriksson, J, Whincup, PH, Vink, JM, Boomsma, DI, Smith, GD, Lawlor, D, Linneberg, A, Ford, I, Jukema, JW, Power, C, Hyppönen, E, Jarvelin, M-R, Preisig, M, Borodulin, K, Kaprio, J, Kivimaki, M, Smith, BH, Hayward, C, Romundstad, PR, Sørensen, TIA, Munafò, MR & Sattar, N 2014, Stratification by smoking status reveals an association of CHRNA5-A3-B4 genotype with body mass index in never smokers. PLoS Genetics, vol 10., pp. e1004799
- Gage, SH, Hickman, M, Heron, J, Munafo, MR, Lewis, G, Macleod, J & Zammit, S 2014, Associations of cannabis and cigarette use with psychotic experiences at age 18: findings from the Avon Longitudinal Study of Parents and Children. Psychological Medicine, vol 44., pp. 3435-3444
- Taylor, AE, Davies, NM, Ware, JJ, Vanderweele, T, Smith, GD & Munafò, MR 2014, Mendelian randomization in health research: Using appropriate genetic variants and avoiding biased estimates. Economics and Human Biology, vol 13., pp. 99-106
- Kretschmer, T, Hickman, M, Doerner, R, Emond, A, Lewis, G, Macleod, JAA, Maughan, B, Munafò, MR & Heron, J 2014, Outcomes of childhood conduct problem trajectories in early adulthood: findings from the ALSPAC study. European Child & Adolescent Psychiatry, vol 23., pp. 539-549
- Dalili, MN, Munafo, MR, Penton-Voak, IS & Harmer, C 2014, Meta-analysis of emotion recognition deficits in major depressive disorder. Psychological Medicine.
Edit this profile If you are Professor Marcus Munafo, you can edit this page. Login required.