Browse/search for people
Professor Marcus Munafo
Professor Marcus Munafo
Professor of Biological Psychology
MA(Oxon), MSc, PhD(Soton)
Area of research
Genetic and cognitive influences on addictive behaviour
Professor Munafò’s research focuses on understanding pathways into, and the consequences of, health behaviours and mental health, with a particular focus on tobacco and alcohol use. This work incudes: 1) observational and genetic epidemiology, and the use of a range of methods that enable stronger causal inference from observational data, such as negative control and Mendelian randomization methods; 2) the laboratory study of cognitive and neurobiological mechanistic pathways that underpin exposure-outcome relationships; and 3) the development of novel individual- and population-level interventions that target these mechanisms, including choice architecture interventions. This work has informed ongoing policy debates, such as the introduction of standardised (“plain”) packaging for tobacco products. He also has interests in the role of incentive structures in science, and the extent to which these shape the robustness and reproducibility of scientific research.
- Professor of Biological Psychology, School of Experimental Psychology, University of Bristol (2010-present)
- Reader in Biological Psychology, Department of Experimental Psychology, University of Bristol (2007-2010)
- Lecturer, Department of Experimental Psychology, University of Bristol (2005-2007)
- Visiting Professor, Department of Psychiatry, University of Pennsylvania (2004-2005)
- Research Fellow, Department of Clinical Pharmacology, University of Oxford (1999-2005)
Video of Professor Marcus Munafo.
Experimental Psychology B.Sc.
- Individual Differences, Year 2
- Transport Research Laboratory
- Servier Ltd
- World Health Organisation
Current PhD students
- Olivia Maynard: "Visual Search and Tobacco Packaging"
- Jennifer Ware: "Molecular Genetics of Nicotine Addiction" (University of Cardiff)
- Michael Anderson: "Translational Model of Depression"
- Kate Button: "Cognitive Processes in Social Anxiety"
- Suzi Gage: "Cannabis Use and Psychosis"
Current research is in the area of the genetic determinants of addictive behaviours, in particular alcohol and nicotine use, and in the role of human personality in explaining the association between genetic variation and addictive behaviours.
- Munafo, M, 2016, Joint developmental trajectories of internalizing and externalizing disorders between childhood and adolescence. Development and Psychopathology.
- Munafò, M, 2016, Open Science and Research Reproducibility. Ecancermedicalscience, vol 10., pp. ed56
- Pechey, R, Couturier, D-L, Hollands, GJ, Mantzari, E, Munafo, MR & Marteau, TM, 2016, Does wine glass size influence sales for on-site consumption?: A multiple treatment reversal design. BMC Public Health, vol 16.
- Lumsden, JA, Edwards, EA, Lawrence, NS, Coyle, D & Munafò, MR, 2016, Gamification of Cognitive Assessment and Cognitive Training: A Systematic Review of Applications and Efficacy. JMIR Serious Games, vol 4.
- Goodwin, GM, Haddad, PM, Ferrier, IN, Aronson, JK, Barnes, TRH, Cipriani, A, Coghill, DR, Fazel, S, Geddes, JR, Grunze, H, Holmes, EA, Howes, O, Hudson, S, Hunt, N, Jones, I, MacMillan, IC, McAllister-Williams, H, Miklowitz, DR, Morriss, R, Munafò, M, Paton, C, Saharkian, BJ, Saunders, KEA, Sinclair, JMA, Taylor, D, Vieta, E & Young, AH, 2016, Evidence-based guidelines for treating bipolar disorder: Revised third edition recommendations from the British Association for Psychopharmacology. Journal of Psychopharmacology, vol 30., pp. 495-553
- Lumsden, JA, Skinner, AL, Woods, AT, Lawrence, NS & Munafo, MR, 2016, The effects of gamelike features and test location on cognitive test performance and participant enjoyment. PeerJ, vol 4.
- Maynard, O, Misak, M & Munafo, M, 2016, Variation in health warning effectiveness on cigarette packs: a need for regulation?. European Journal of Public Health.
- Treur, JL, Taylor, AE, Ware, JJ, Nivard, M, Neale, M, McMahon, G, Hottenga, JJ, Baselmans, BML, Boomsma, DI, Munafo, MR & Vink, J, 2016, Smoking and caffeine consumption: a genetic analysis of their association. Addiction Biology.
- Dalili, M, Schofield-Toloza, L, Munafo, M & Penton-Voak, I, 2016, Emotion Recognition Training Using Composite Faces Generalises Across Identities but Not All Emotions. Cognition and Emotion.
Edit this profile If you are Professor Marcus Munafo, you can edit this page. Login required.