Browse/search for people
Professor Marcus Munafo
Professor Marcus Munafo
Professor of Biological Psychology
MA(Oxon), MSc, PhD(Soton)
Area of research
Genetic and cognitive influences on addictive behaviour
My interests are in the role of molecular genetic influences on addictive behaviour and the use of social drugs (primarily nicotine and alcohol), in particular the behavioural, cognitive and neural mechanisms that mediate these relationships. Candidate genes associated with dopaminergic and serotonergic neurotransmission are of particular interest, as these have been shown to be related to addictive behaviour, and may influence the development of learning pathways implicated in addiction in psychological models of addiction.
Recent and current grants
- Aveyard, P.N. (P.I.), Morcom, A.R., Coleman, T., McRobbie, H., Lindson, N., Munafò, M.R., Parrott, S., Hajek, P., Bathers, S., Lewis, S., McEwen, A. A randomised trial of nicotine patch preloading for smoking cessation. NIHR (2012-2015).
- Munafò, M.R. (P.I.), Bauld, L., Leonards, U., Hammond, D. Effects of plain packaging on neural response to health warnings. Action on Smoking and Health (2011-2013).
- Van den Bree, M. (P.I.), Shelton, K., Heron, J., Munafo, M.R., Hickman, M., Maughan, B. Peer group influences on the relationship between depressive symptoms and alcohol misuse in adolescence. European Research Advisory Board (2011-2013).
- Munafò, M.R. (P.I.), Attwood, A.S., McClernon F.J. Effects of varenicline and cognitive bias modification on neural response to smoking related cues. Pfizer Investigator Initiated Research (2010-2012).
- Attwood, A.S. (P.I.), Munafò, M.R., Williams, T. A placebo-controlled study of the effectiveness of D-cycloserine in reducing cue reactivity during cue-exposure therapy in daily cigarette smokers. Global Research Awards for Nicotine Dependence 2010 (2010-2012).
- Middeldorp, C.M. (P.I.), Boer, F., Boomsma, D.I., Erkut, Z.A., Glaser, B., Hudziak, J.J., Lubke, G.H., Maughan, B., Munafò, M.R., van Eijk, J.A. Genetic influences on stability and change in psychopathology from childhood to young adulthood. Netherlands Organization for Scientific Research (2010-2015).
- Schumann, G. (P.I.), Conrod, P., Lourdusamy, A., Munafò, M.R., Struve, M. Developmental pathways into adolescent substance abuse: neurophysiologic, genetic and environmental determinants. Medical Research Council (2010-2015).
- Burgess, S.M. (PI), Munafò, M.R., Brunstrom, J., Crick, R.D., Gregg, P., Howard-Jones, P., Rogers, P., Smith, S., Washbrook, E, Taylor, A. Centre for Understanding Behaviour Change. DCSF (2010-2014).
- Britton, J. (P.I.), McNeill, A., Amos, A., Aveyard, P., Bauld, L., Coleman, T., Hajek, P., Hastings, G., Lewis, S., West, R., Godfrey, C., Munafò, M.R. UKCRC Centre of Public Health Excellence in Tobacco Control (2008-2013).
- Munafò, M.R. (P.I.), Day, I.N.M., Davey Smith, G. Characterising patterns and determinants of smoking initiation in adolescence. Wellcome Trust (2009-2012).
- Lewis, G. (P.I.), Araya, R., Nutt, D.J., Jones, P., Sahakian, B.J., Munafò, M.R., Ramachandi, P., Thapar, P., Fernyhough, C., Stansfeld, S., Hickman, M., Macleod, J., Wiles, N., Joinson, C., Stein, A., Evans, J., Wolke, D., Bentall, R.P., Harold, G.T., Davies, S.J.C., Murray, L., Flint, J., Crawley, E., Davey-Smith, G., O’Connor, T., Cooper, P., Oldehinkel, A.J., Croudace, T.J., Heron, J., Peters, T.J., Maughan, B., Skapinakis, P. Depression at 17: ALSPAC. Wellcome Trust (2008-2012).
- Professor of Biological Psychology, School of Experimental Psychology, University of Bristol (2010-present)
- Reader in Biological Psychology, Department of Experimental Psychology, University of Bristol (2007-2010)
- Lecturer, Department of Experimental Psychology, University of Bristol (2005-2007)
- Visiting Professor, Department of Psychiatry, University of Pennsylvania (2004-2005)
- Research Fellow, Department of Clinical Pharmacology, University of Oxford (1999-2005)
Video of Professor Marcus Munafo.
Experimental Psychology B.Sc.
- Individual Differences, Year 2
- Transport Research Laboratory
- Servier Ltd
- World Health Organisation
Current PhD students
- Olivia Maynard: "Visual Search and Tobacco Packaging"
- Jennifer Ware: "Molecular Genetics of Nicotine Addiction" (University of Cardiff)
- Michael Anderson: "Translational Model of Depression"
- Kate Button: "Cognitive Processes in Social Anxiety"
- Suzi Gage: "Cannabis Use and Psychosis"
Current research is in the area of the genetic determinants of addictive behaviours, in particular alcohol and nicotine use, and in the role of human personality in explaining the association between genetic variation and addictive behaviours.
- Hardman, CA, Rogers, PJ, Timpson, NJ & Munafo, MR 2014, Lack of association between DRD2 and OPRM1 genotypes and adiposity. Internat. J. Obesity, vol 38., pp. 730-736
- Richardson, TG, Minica, C, Heron, J, Tavare, J, MacKenzie, A, Day, I, Lewis, G, Hickman, M, Vink, JM, Gelernter, J, Kranzler, HR, Farrer, LA, Munafò, M & Wynick, D 2014, Evaluating the role of a galanin enhancer genotype on a range of metabolic, depressive and additive phenotypes. American journal of medical genetics. Part B, Neuropsychiatric genetics : the official publication of the International Society of Psychiatric Genetics.
- Sanderson, SC, Taylor, A & Munafò, M 2014, Article does not prove that smoking cessation has an "effect" on mental health. British Medical Journal, vol 348., pp. g2018
- Ware, JJ & Munafò, MR 2014, Significance chasing in research practice: causes, consequences and possible solutions. Addiction.
- Maynard, OM, Attwood, A, O'Brien, L, Brooks, S, Hedge, C, Leonards, U & Munafò, MR 2014, Avoidance of cigarette pack health warnings among regular cigarette smokers. Drug and Alcohol Dependence.
- Taylor, AE, Munafò, MR & 2014, Commentary: Does mortality from smoking have implications for future Mendelian randomization studies?. International journal of epidemiology.
- Flint, J, Timpson, N & Munafò, M 2014, Assessing the utility of intermediate phenotypes for genetic mapping of psychiatric disease. Trends in Neurosciences.
- Singh, A, Owusu-Dabo, E, Britton, J, Munafò, MR & Jones, LL 2014, "Pictures don't lie, seeing is believing": Exploring Attitudes to the Introduction of Pictorial Warnings on Cigarette Packs in Ghana. Nicotine & tobacco research : official journal of the Society for Research on Nicotine and Tobacco.
- Maynard, OM, Leonards, U, Attwood, AS, Bauld, L, Hogarth, L & Munafò, MR 2014, Plain packaging of cigarettes and smoking behavior: study protocol for a randomized controlled study. Trials, vol 15., pp. 252
- Vankov, I, Bowers, J & Munafò, MR 2014, On the Persistence of Low Power in Psychological Science. Quarterly journal of experimental psychology (2006).
Edit this profile If you are Professor Marcus Munafo, you can edit this page. Login required.