Browse/search for people
Professor Bruce Hood
Professor Bruce Hood
Professor of Developmental Psychology in Society
MA, MPhil(Dund), PhD(Cantab)
Area of research
My research interests include:
- Cognitive development from a neuroscience perspective.
- Face and gaze processing.
- Inhibitory control of thoughts and actions.
- Spatial representation and action.
- Naïve theories.
- The origin of adult magical reasoning from children’s natural intuitions.
- The Immortality Project (2013-2015): Relationship between Mind-Body Dualism & Belief in the After-Life
PHD students supervised
- Year 1 Developmental Psychology
- Year 1 Myths and Misconceptions
I am interested in cognitive development from a neuroscience perspective. My research interests include; face and gaze processing; inhibitory control of thoughts and actions; Spatial representation and action; naive theories; The origin of adult magical reasoning from children?s natural intuitions.
Many of my current interests in the origins of supernatural beliefs are contained in my forthcoming book, ?SuperSense: Why We Believe the Unbelievable? which is to be published in April 2009 by HarperOne.
cognitive developmentneurosciencesupernatural beliefsspatial representationnaive theoriesface processinggaze processing
- Longstaffe, KA, Hood, BM & Gilchrist, ID 2014, The influence of cognitive load on spatial search performance. Attention, Perception & Psychophysics, vol 76., pp. 49-63
- Longstaffe, KA, Hood, BM & Gilchrist, ID 2013, Development of human spatial cognition in a three-dimensional world. Behavioral and brain sciences, vol 36., pp. 556-556
- Nurmsoo, ED, Einav, S & Hood, BM 2012, Best friends: children use mutual gaze to identify friendships in others. Developmental Science, vol 15., pp. 417-425
- Hood, BM, Gjersoe, NL & Bloom, P 2012, Do children think that duplicating the body also duplicates the mind?. Cognition, vol 125., pp. 466-474
- Pellicano, E, Smith, A, Cristino, F, Hood, B, Briscoe, J & Gilchrist, I 2011, Children with autism are neither systematic nor optimal foragers. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol 108., pp. 421 - 426
- Hood, BM, Gjersoe, NL, Donnelly, KE, Byers, A & Itakura, S 2011, Moral contagion attitudes towards potential organ transplants in british and japanese adults. Journal of Cognition and Culture, vol 11., pp. 269-286
- Kanngiesser, P, Santos, L, Hood, B & Call, J 2011, The limits of endowment effects in great apes (Pan paniscus, Pan troglodytes, Gorilla gorilla, Pongo pygmaeus). Journal of Comparative Psychology, vol 125., pp. 436 - 445
- Pellicano, E, Smith, A, Cristino, F, Hood, B, Briscoe, J & Gilchrist, I 2011, Reply to Nemeth and Janacsek: Children with autism learn to search differently in a large-scale context. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, vol 108., pp. 421 - 426
- Lindeman, M, Riekki, T & Hood, BM 2011, Is weaker inhibition associated with supernatural beliefs?. Journal of Cognition and Culture, vol 11., pp. 231-239
- Smith, AD, Hood, BM & Gilchrist, ID 2010, Probabilistic cueing in large-scale environmental search. Journal of Experimental Psychology: Learning, Memory and Language, vol 36., pp. 605-618
Edit this profile If you are Professor Bruce Hood, you can edit this page. Login required.