Browse/search for people
Professor Bruce Hood
Professor Bruce Hood
Professor of Developmental Psychology in Society
MA, MPhil(Dund), PhD(Cantab)
Area of research
My research interests include:
- Cognitive development from a neuroscience perspective.
- Face and gaze processing.
- Inhibitory control of thoughts and actions.
- Spatial representation and action.
- Naïve theories.
- The origin of adult magical reasoning from children’s natural intuitions.
- The Immortality Project (2013-2015): Relationship between Mind-Body Dualism & Belief in the After-Life
PHD students supervised
- Year 1 Developmental Psychology
- Year 1 Myths and Misconceptions
I am interested in cognitive development from a neuroscience perspective. My research interests include; face and gaze processing; inhibitory control of thoughts and actions; Spatial representation and action; naive theories; The origin of adult magical reasoning from children?s natural intuitions.
Many of my current interests in the origins of supernatural beliefs are contained in my forthcoming book, ?SuperSense: Why We Believe the Unbelievable? which is to be published in April 2009 by HarperOne.
cognitive developmentneurosciencesupernatural beliefsspatial representationnaive theoriesface processinggaze processing
- Baker, ST, Leslie, AM, Gallistel, C & Hood, BM, 2016, Bayesian change-point analysis reveals developmental change in a classic theory of mind task. Cognitive Psychology.
- Hood, B, 2016, Make recycled goods covetable. Nature, vol 531., pp. 438-440
- Hood, B, Weltzien, S, Marsh, L & Kanngiesser, P, 2016, Picture yourself: Self-focus and the endowment effect in preschool children. Cognition, vol 152., pp. 70-77
- Kanngiesser, P & Hood, B, 2015, The role of social eye-gaze in children’s and adults’ ownership attributions to robotic agents in three cultures. Interaction Studies, vol 16., pp. 1-28
- Gjersoe, N, Hall, E & Hood, B, 2015, Children attribute mental lives to toys only when they are emotionally attached to the. Cognitive Development.
- Ataya, AF, Hood, BM, Munafò, MR & Attwood, AS, 2014, For the love of the game: Implicit arousal following symbolic destruction of sports teams and partners. Journal of Cognition and Culture, vol 14., pp. 117-123
- Longstaffe, KA, Hood, BM & Gilchrist, ID, 2014, The influence of cognitive load on spatial search performance. Attention, Perception & Psychophysics, vol 76., pp. 49-63
- Kanngiesser, P & Hood, B, 2014, Not by labor alone: Considerations for value influences use of the labor rule in ownership judgment. Cognitive science., pp. 353-366
- Gjersoe, N, Newman, G, Chituc, V & Hood, B, 2014, Individualism and the extended-self: Cross-cultural differences in the valuation of authentic object. PLoSONE.
- Clay, Z, Pope, S, Sakura, K & Hood, B, 2014, Young children make their gestural communication systems more language-like: Segmentation and linearisation of semantic elements in motion events.. Psychological Science.
Edit this profile If you are Professor Bruce Hood, you can edit this page. Login required.