Browse/search for people
Dr Angela Rowe
Dr Angela Rowe
My research focuses on the influence of relational schemata of different attachment qualities on perceptions of attachment phenomena, at both information processing and behavioural levels.
- British Academy research grant (£4,959). “Selective attention to attachment threatening stimuli as a function of attachment style” (2003). Principal Investigator.
- Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC) Grant (RES-062-23-0052, £359,815) in collaboration with Ian Penton-Voak and Casimir Ludwig “Adult attachment and the perceptual processing of facial expressions of emotion” (2006). Principal Investigator.
- British Academy research grant (SG – 43494 for £6059) in collaboration with Marcus Munafò “Attentional training and attachment anxiety in adults” (2006). Principal Investigator.
- Nuffield Foundation grant (SGS/33904, £7,494) with Kathy Carnelley. “Adult Attachment and the Inhibition of Dispositional and Primed-Style-Incongruent Information” (2007). Principal Investigator.
- Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC) Post-Doctoral Fellowship with Abigail Millings. “Adult attachment, partner caregiving, and parenting”. (RES). (2008).
- The Wellcome Trust Vacation Scholarship for Ruta Marcinkeviciute (in collaboration with Robbie Cooper): “The perceptual integration of facial signals from eye gaze and emotional expression: a test of two hypotheses”. (2008).
- The Wellcome Trust Vacation Scholarship for Izumi Kurokawa: Physical separation from primary attachment figures and emotional self-reliance: Attachment styles in Boarders versus day pupils at a British boarding school”. (2009).
- The Leverhulme Trust research grant (f/00 180/AL, £85, 859) in collaboration with Katherine Carnelley (Principle Investigator), Erica Hepper and Rich Gramzow “Symbolic closeness to attachment networks: Roles of stress and imposed closeness”(2010).
I did my undergraduate degree in Applied Psychology at Cardiff University and stayed there to do a PhD. in social psychology with Dr. Kathy Carnelley. I was awarded a doctorate in January 2001 and joined the Department of Experimental Psychology in 1999.
PhD students supervised
- Nicky Fussell (Year 3)
- Sally Easton (Year 1)
I study the way that prior close relationship experiences (represented in attachment relational schemas) become activated by situational and environmental cues and function to guide behaviour, cognition and affect in new or potential new relationships.
adult attachmentlovepersonal relationships
- Lockwood, P, Millings, A, Hepper, E & Rowe, AC 2013, If I Cry, Do You Care? Individual Differences in Empathy Moderate the Facilitation of Caregiving Words After Exposure to Crying Faces. Journal of Individual Differences, vol 34., pp. 41-47
- Theodoridou, A, Penton-Voak, IS & Rowe, AC 2013, A direct examination of the effect of intranasal administration of oxytocin on approach-avoidance motor responses to emotional stimuli.. PloS one, vol 8.
- Mohr, C, Rowe, AC, Kurokawa, I, Dendy, L & Theodoridou, A 2013, Bodily perspective taking goes social: the role of personal, interpersonal, and intercultural factors. Journal of Applied Social Psychology, vol 43., pp. 1369-1381
- Theodoridou, A, Rowe, AC & Mohr, C 2013, Men perform comparably to women in a perspective taking task after administration of intranasal oxytocin but not after placebo. Frontiers in Human Neuroscience, vol 7.
- Wilkinson, LL, Rowe, AC & Heath, GH 2013, Eating me up inside: Priming attachment security and anxiety, and their effects on snacking. Journal of Social and Personal Relationships, vol 30., pp. 795-804
- Hall, JR, Tritton, T, Rowe, ACM, Pipe, AG, Melhuish, CR & Leonards, UB 2013, Perception of own and robot engagement in Human-Robot-Interactions and their dependence on robotics knowledge. Robotics and Autonomous Systems, vol 62.
- Rowe, AC, Carnelley, KB, Harwood, J, Micklewright, D, Russouw, L, Rennie, CL & Liossi, C 2012, The effect of attachment orientation priming on pain sensitivity in pain-free individuals. Journal of Social and Personal Relationships, vol 29., pp. 488-507
- Fussell, NJ, Rowe, ACM & Mohr, C 2012, Hemispheric processing of differently valenced and self-relevant attachment words in middle-aged married and separated individuals. Laterality: Asymmetries of Body, Brain and Cognition, vol 17., pp. 453-485
- Tritton, T, Hall, JR, Rowe, ACM, Valentine, S, Jedrzejewska, A, Anthony, P, Melhuish, CR & Leonards, UB 2012, Engaging with robots while giving simple instructions. in: G Herrmann, M Studley, M Pearson, A Conn, C Melhuish, M Witkowski, J-H Kim, P Vadekkepat (eds) Advances in Autonomous Robotics – Joint Proceedings of the 13th Annual TAROS Conference and the 15th Annual FIRA RoboWorld Congress, Bristol, UK, August 2012. Springer-Heidelberg, pp. 176-184
- Mohr, C, Rowe, A, Kurokawa, I, Dendy, L & Theodoridou, A 2012, Bodily perspective taking goes social: The role of personal, interpersonal and intercultural factors. Journal of Applied Social Psychology.
Edit this profile If you are Dr Angela Rowe, you can edit this page. Login required.