Browse/search for people
Dr Tom Richardson
Dr Tom Richardson
Senior Lecturer in Flight Mechanics
I currently lecture in Flight Mechanics and Control. My principal research interest is Control, ranging from classical flight control up to high-level decision-making and autonomy. Recently I have been working with members from Engineering Mathematics to address the problem of autonomy within groups of unmanned air vehicles.
Dr. Richardson lectures Flight Mechanics and Control in the Aerospace Department at Bristol University. He obtained his first degree (MEng) from the Department at Bristol in 1998 and stayed on to undertake a PhD in Nonlinear Flight Mechanics. Awarded his PhD in 2002 he moved over to the Mechanical Engineering Department in Bristol as an RA. In June 2003 he moved back to the Aerospace Department when he was appointed to the Lectureship in Flight Mechanics.
- flight control
- flight mechanics
- unmanned air vehicles
- Greatwood, CM, Richardson, TS, Freer, JE, Thomas, R, Brownlow, R, Lowry, D, Fisher, R & Nisbet, E, 2015, Automatic Path Generation for Multirotor Descents Through Varying Air Masses above Ascension Island. in: 2016 AIAA Atmospheric Flight Mechanics Conference. American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics Inc, AIAA
- Richardson, TS, Martinez, C & Campoy, P, 2013, Towards Autonomous Air-To-Air Refuelling for UAVs Using Visual Information.
- Luna, CM, Richardson, TS, Thomas, PR, Bois, JLd & Campoy, P, 2013, A vision-based strategy for autonomous aerial refueling tasks. Robotics and Autonomous Systems, vol 61., pp. 876-895
- Richardson, TS, Jones, CG, Likhoded, A, Sparks, E, Jordan, A, Cowling, I & Willcox, S, 2013, Automated Vision Based Recovery of a Rotary Wing UAV onto a Moving Platform. Journal of Field Robotics, vol 30., pp. 667?684
- Bullock, SE, Thomas, PR, Bhandari, U & Richardson, TS, 2012, Collaborative Control Methods for Automated Air-to-Air Refuelling. in: AIAA Guidance, Navigation, and Control Conference. American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics, Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
- Beaverstock, C, Richardson, T, Isikveren, A & Maheri, A, 2012, Integrated Flight Control System Development using CEASIOM. Canadian Aeronautics and Space Journal, vol 58., pp. 29 - 46
- Richardson, TS, Bois, JLd & Thomas, PR, 2012, Development of a relative motion facility for simulations of autonomous air to air refuelling., pp. 1-12
- Richardson, TS, Thomas, P & Cooke, A, 2012, Estimation of Stability and Control Derivatives for a Piper Cub J-3 Remotely Piloted Vehicle.
- Bois, JLd, Newell, P, Bullock, SE, Thomas, PR & Richardson, TS, 2012, VISION BASED CLOSED-LOOP CONTROL SYSTEM FOR SATELLITE RENDEZVOUS WITH MODEL-IN-THE-LOOP VALIDATION AND TESTING.
- Bois, JLd, Thomas, PR, Bullock, SE, Bhandari, U & Richardson, TS, 2012, Control Methodologies for Relative Motion Reproduction in a Robotic Hybrid Test Simulation of Aerial Refuelling.
Edit this profile If you are Dr Tom Richardson, you can edit this page. Login required.