Browse/search for people
Professor Jonathan Cooper
Professor Jonathan Cooper
RAEng Airbus Sir George White Professor of Aerospace Engineering
BSc(London), PhD(London), FRAeS(Royal Aeronautical Society)
Area of research
Integrated Design of Novel Wing Architectures
Jonathan Cooper holds the Royal Academy of Engineering Airbus Sir George White Chair in Aerospace Engineering and has an international reputation in the fields of aeroelasticity, structural dynamics, adaptive aircraft structures and aeroelastic optimization.
His current research involves the following main research themes all focussed on the development of new efficient future aircraft designs:
- Novel technologies for loads control
- Improved measurement and modelling of structural / control system nonlinearities and more accurate and efficient prediction of aeroservoelastic behaviour
- Use of aeroservoelastic designs for improved aircraft performance
- Efficient and accurate prediction of uncertainties in aircraft performance
- Improved multi-disciplinary design optimisation and certification for future wing structures
Upon obtaining a PhD in Aeronautical Engineering from the University of London, Jonathan Cooper worked as a Senior Research Fellow at the Royal Aerospace Establishment, Farnborough, for three years before joining the University of Manchester in October 1989 as a ‘new-blood’ lecturer. During 18 years there, he made a significant contribution in terms of teaching, research and administration, and was promoted to Senior Lecturer in October 1997 and Professor in March 2001, becoming the last Head of School before the merger in October 2004 between the University of Manchester and UMIST. In August 2007 he moved to the School of Engineering at the University of Liverpool as Professor of Aerostructures and Aeroelasticity. In February 2012 Prof Cooper took up the Airbus Sir George White Chair at the University of Bristol and was also awarded a Royal Academy of Engineering Research Chair in February 2013.
Prof Cooper has published over 200 technical papers in journals and conferences, and is co-author of the textbook “An Introduction to Aircraft Aeroelasticity and Loads” published by Wiley in 2007. Several of the algorithms that he has developed are now used by industry throughout the world. Prof Cooper has participated in / led several invited EU Framework projects and has been involved in research projects that have attracted funding of over £2.9m as lead investigator, over £6m as co-investigator. He has supervised over 20 PhD students. He spent a six month sabbatical as Visiting Professor at the Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Belgium in 1995, and also five months on a Royal Academy of Engineering secondment at British Aerospace Military Aircraft in 1997. From October 2005 to September 2006 Prof Cooper was a Royal Academy of Engineering / Leverhulme Trust Senior Research Fellow working on Morphing Aircraft Structures.
Prof Cooper has had a wide range of roles relating to teaching and syllabi development for Engineering degree courses, which including liaison with industry and Learned Societies, in order to make the content more relevant for the needs of today’s engineering graduates. He has developed and taught a number of modules in the areas of aeroelasticity, structures, structural dynamics, optimisation and aircraft design, including the development of Problem Based Learning and Enquiry Based Learning modes of teaching. He has presented a number of short courses that have been run ‘in-house’ in several of the British Aerospace and Airbus sites across the country and also in Europe on Aircraft Aeroelasticity and Loads, along with other short course on Experimental and Analytical Modal Analysis.
- Structural Dynamics
- adaptive structures
- flight flutter testing
- aircraft design.
- Monsalve, JML, Cooper, JE & Neild, SA, 2016, Identification of systems containing nonlinear stiffnesses using backbone curves. Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing.
- Castellani, M, Lemmens, Y & Cooper, JE, 2016, Parametric reduced order model approach for rapid dynamic loads prediction. Aerospace Science and Technology, vol 52., pp. 29-40
- Francois, G, Cooper, J & Weaver, P, 2016, Aeroelastic Tailoring Using Crenellated Skins – Modelling and Experiment. Advances in aircraft and spacecraft science.
- Londono, JM, Neild, S & Cooper, J, 2016, Systems with bilinear stiffness: Extraction of backbone curves and identification . in: Nonlinear Dynamics, Volume 1: Proceedings of the 33rd IMAC, A Conference and Exposition on Structural Dynamics, 2015. Springer International Publishing, pp. 307-313
- Valente, C, Jones, D, Gaitonde, A, Cooper, JE & Lemmens, Y, 2015, Openfsi interface for strongly coupled steady and unsteady aeroelasticity. in: International Forum on Aeroelasticity and Structural Dynamics, IFASD 2015. International Forum on Aeroelasticity and Structural Dynamics (IFASD)
- Francois, G, Cooper, JE & Weaver, PM, 2015, Aeroelastic tailoring using crenelated skins - Modelling and experiment. in: International Forum on Aeroelasticity and Structural Dynamics, IFASD 2015. International Forum on Aeroelasticity and Structural Dynamics (IFASD)
- Poncet-Montanges, A, Jones, D, Gaitonde, AL, Cooper, JE & Lemmens, Y, 2015, Frequency-domain approach for transonic unsteady aerodynamics modelling. in: International Forum on Aeroelasticity and Structural Dynamics, IFASD 2015. International Forum on Aeroelasticity and Structural Dynamics (IFASD)
- Tartaruga, I, Cooper, JE, Lowenberg, MH, Sartor, P & Lemmens, Y, 2015, Evaluation and uncertainty quantification of bifurcation diagram: Landing gear, a case study. in: UNCECOMP 2015 - 1st ECCOMAS Thematic Conference on Uncertainty Quantification in Computational Sciences and Engineering. National Technical University of Athens, pp. 781-812
- Francois, G, Cooper, JE & Weaver, PM, 2015, Impact of the Wing Sweep Angle and Rib Orientation on Wing Structural Response for Un-Tapered Wings. in: 57th AIAA/ASCE/AHS/ASC Structures, Structural Dynamics, and Materials Conference. American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics Inc, AIAA
- Tartaruga, I, Lowenberg, MH, Cooper, JE, Sartor, PN & Lemmens, Y, 2015, Bifurcation Analysis of a Nose Landing Gear System. in: 15th Dynamics Specialists Conference. American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics Inc, AIAA
Professor Cooper currently teaches 1 courses:
Edit this profile If you are Professor Jonathan Cooper, you can edit this page. Login required.