Browse/search for people
Dr Mihai Caleap
Dr Mihai Caleap
BA, BSc, MSc, PhD(Bordeaux), MInstP, CEng, CPhys
Area of research
Multifunctional Metamaterials & Novel Microstructures
Dr. Caleap’s research interests cover various aspects of wave propagation in heterogeneous complex media (including composite materials and metamaterials); his work encompassing multiple scattering and array imaging, both with a focus on applications in Non Destructive Evaluation (NDE).
Current activity involves:
- Assembly of reconfigurable colloidal crystals and micro-particle super-lattices due to a synergy of fundamental nanoscale forces (e.g. acoustic & magnetic radiation forces)
- Acoustic, elastodynamic and electrodynamic metamaterials
- Particle manipulation with ultrasound
- Non-destructive evaluation and guided waves
- Wave propagation in heterogeneous media
- Linear and non-linear ultrasonics
- Super-resolution imaging
- Acoustic quasicrystals
Dr. Mihai Caleap obtained his PhD in Mechanical Engineering in 2009 from the Physical Acoustics Group at the University of Bordeaux, France and subsequently briefly worked there as a Teaching and Research Assistant. He was appointed to a Post-doctoral Research Assistant position in the Department of Mechanical Engineering at the University of Bristol in July 2009.
- Applied mathematics
- Mechanical engineering
- Caleap, M & Drinkwater, BW 2014, Acoustically trapped colloidal crystals that are reconfigurable in real time. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, vol 111., pp. 6226-6230
- Caleap, M, Drinkwater, B & Wilcox, P 2012, Effective dynamic constitutive parameters of acoustic metamaterials with random microstructure. New Journal of Physics, vol 14., pp. 033014
- Caleap, M, Drinkwater, B & Wilcox, P 2012, Coherent acoustic wave propagation in media with pair-correlated spheres. Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, vol 131(3)., pp. 2036 - 2047
- Caleap, M, Drinkwater, B & Wilcox, P 2011, Modelling wave propagation through creep damaged material. NDT & E International, vol 44(5)., pp. 456 - 462
- Caleap, M & Aristégui, C 2010, Coherent wave propagation in solids containing various systems of frictional shear cracks. Waves in Random and Complex Media, vol 20(4)., pp. 551 - 568
- Caleap, M & Aristégui, C 2010, Effective antiplane properties in presence of frictional shear cracks. Journal of Geophysical Research: Solid Earth, vol 115., pp. B02302
Read more >
- Fan, C, Caleap, M, Pan, M & Drinkwater, BW 2014, A comparison between ultrasonic array beamforming and super resolution imaging algorithms for non-destructive evaluation. Ultrasonics, vol 54., pp. 1842-1850
- Caleap, M & Drinkwater, BW 2014, Reconfigurable acoustic metamaterials: From random to periodic in a split second. 2Physics.com.
- Caleap, M 2013, Scattering of antiplane elastic waves by two-dimensional periodic arrays of cracks. arXiv .
- Caleap, M, Drinkwater, BW & Wilcox, PD 2013, Effective dynamic moduli and density of fiber-reinforced composites. in: DO Thompson, DE Chimenti (eds) Review of Progress in Quantitative Nondestructive Evaluation, vols 32a and 32b. Amer Inst Physics, Melville, pp. 1019-1027
Edit this profile If you are Dr Mihai Caleap, you can edit this page. Login required.