Browse/search for people
Professor Kevin Potter
Professor Kevin Potter
Professor in Composites Manufacture
PhD, CEng, BSc
Since joining the University of Bristol I have been responsible for developing and running a number of research programmes in the general area of advanced materials and manufacturing.
These include looking at innovative approaches to composite structures, generating an understanding of dimensional variability in composite components, developing technology to control crack propagation in bonded joints and improving the understanding of reinforcement deformation and drape over the tool geometry.
I am also interested in the design process and in the training of practicing designers in the use of new materials. I act as Enterprise Leader for Aerospace Engineering with the aim of encouraging enterprise among both students and staff.
Kevin Potter gained a BSc in Materials Science from Imperial College of Science and Technology in 1974, and has spent almost all his career since then working with the design, manufacture and assessment of composite products, mostly in an industrial setting.
Since joining the University of Bristol he has been responsible for developing and running a number of research programmes in the general area of materials and manufacturing. These include looking at innovative approaches to composite structures, generating an understanding of dimensional variability in composite components, developing technology to control crack propagation in bonded joints and improving the understanding of reinforcement deformation and drape over the tool geometry. Almost all of the work is carried out in collaboration with industrial companies such as Airbus, Agusta Westland and Bombardier.
- advanced materials
- product design
- Helmus, R, Kratz, J, Potter, K, Hubert, P & Hinterholzl, R, 2017, An experimental technique to characterize interply void formation in unidirectional prepregs. Journal of Composite Materials, vol 51., pp. 579-591
- Winter, D, Crowley, D, Ward, C, Williams, S, McMahon, C & Potter, K, 2017, Using real-time data for increasing the efficiency of the automated fibre placement process. International Journal of Vehicle Structures and Systems, vol 9., pp. 11-16
- Longana, M, Yu, H, Jalalvand, M, Wisnom, M & Potter, K, 2017, Aligned discontinuous intermingled reclaimed/virgin carbon fibre composites for high performance and pseudo-ductile behaviour in interlaminated carbon-glass hybrids. Composites Science and Technology, vol 143., pp. 13-21
- Nixon-Pearson, O, Belnoue, J, Ivanov, D, Potter, K & Hallett, S, 2016, An experimental investigation of the consolidation behaviour of uncured prepregs under processing conditions. Journal of Composite Materials.
- Heath, C, Bond, I & Potter, K, 2016, Interlocking Electro-Bonded Laminates. Journal of Intelligent Material Systems and Structures.
- Zhu, C, Richardson, R, Potter, K, Koutsomitopoulou, A, Van Duijneveldt, JS, Vincent, SR, Wanasekara, ND, Eichhorn, SJ & Rahatekar, S, 2016, High Modulus Regenerated Cellulose Fibers Spun from a Low Molecular Weight Microcrystalline Cellulose Solution. ACS Sustainable Chemistry and Engineering, vol 4., pp. 4545-4553
- Heath, C, Neville, R, Scarpa, F, Bond, I & Potter, K, 2016, Morphing hybrid honeycomb (MOHYCOMB) with in situ Poisson's ratio modulation. Smart Materials and Structures, vol 25.
- Longana, ML, Ong, N, Yu, H & Potter, KD, 2016, Multiple closed loop recycling of carbon fibre composites with the HiPerDiF (High Performance Discontinuous Fibre) method. Composite Structures, vol 153., pp. 271-277
- Elkington, M, Ward, C & Potter, KD, 2016, Automated layup of sheet prepregs on complex moulds. Journal of Advanced Materials, vol 3., pp. 70-84
- Crowley, DM, Elkington, MP, Ward, C & Potter, KD, 2016, Hand lay-up of complex geometries-prediction, capture and feedback. in: International SAMPE Technical Conference. Soc. for the Advancement of Material and Process Engineering
Edit this profile If you are Professor Kevin Potter, you can edit this page. Login required.