Browse/search for people
Professor Willy Aspinall
Professor Willy Aspinall
Cabot Professor in Natural Hazards and Risk Science
BSc, PhD(Durham), CSci, CGeol
Area of research
Volcanology and seismology
Volcanology and seismology, and the formalised use of expert judgement in decision-making for low probability / high consequence events in circumstances of scientific or engineering uncertainty. Probabilistic assessment of earthquake and volcanic hazards and risks.
I received BSc and PhD degrees in Physics from the University of Durham in 1966 and 1970 respectively. From 1970 to 1983 I was a Research Fellow at the University of the West Indies. From 1983 to 1989 I was Senior Earth Scientist at Principia Mechanica Ltd, and have been Principal Consultant for Aspinall and Associates since 1989.
In 2009 I became Cabot Professor in Natural Hazards & Risk Science at the University of Bristol.
In 2010 I advised the UK Government regarding the volcanic ash clouds following eruptions at Eyjafjallajökull in Iceland.
I am currently a Member of the Scientific Committee of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) International Seismic Safety Centre, The IAEA Specialist Group preparing the Safety Guide on Volcanic Hazards in Site Evaluation of Nuclear Power Plants, and IAEA Working Group on Probabilistic Seismic Hazard Assessment. I am also a Specialist for the UK Nuclear Power Industry Seismic Hazard Working Party.
I was awarded the William Smith Medal by The Geological Society of London in 2012.
- earthquake assessment
- Havelaar, AH, Kirk, MD, Torgerson, PR, Gibb, HJ, Hald, T, Lake, RJ, Praet, N, Bellinger, DC, Silva, NRd, Gargouri, N, Speybroeck, N, Cawthorne, A, Mathers, C, Stein, C, Angulo, FJ, Devleesschauwer, B, Adegoke, GO, Afshari, R, Alasfoor, D, Baines, J, Balakrishnan, K, Bin Hamza, WM, Bolger, PM, Chaicumpa, W, Cravioto, A, Döpfer, D, Ehiri, JE, Fazil, A, Ferreccio, C, Fèvre, EM, Hall, G, Kasuga, F, Keddy, KH, Lanata, CF, Lei, H, Liu, X, Manyindo, B, Nasinyama, G, Ongolo-Zogo, P, Pitt, JI & others 2016, World Health Organization Global Estimates and Regional Comparisons of the Burden of Foodborne Disease in 2010. PLoS Medicine, vol 12.
- Neri, A, Bevilacqua, A, Ongaro, TE, Isaia, R, Aspinall, WP, Bisson, M, Flandoli, F, Baxter, PJ, Bertagnini, A, Iannuzzi, E, Orsucci, S, Pistolesi, M, Rosi, M & Vitale, S, 2015, Quantifying volcanic hazard at Campi Flegrei caldera (Italy) with uncertainty assessment: 2. Pyroclastic density current invasion maps. Journal of Geophysical Research: Solid Earth, vol 120., pp. 2330-2349
- Bevilacqua, A, Isaia, R, Neri, A, Vitale, S, Aspinall, WP, Bisson, M, Flandoli, F, Baxter, PJ, Bertagnini, A, Ongaro, TE, Iannuzzi, E, Pistolesi, M & Rosi, M, 2015, Quantifying volcanic hazard at Campi Flegrei caldera (Italy) with uncertainty assessment: 1. Vent opening maps. Journal of Geophysical Research: Solid Earth, vol 120., pp. 2309-2329
- Engwell, SL, Aspinall, WP & Sparks, RSJ, 2015, An objective method for the production of isopach maps and implications for the estimation of tephra deposit volumes and their uncertainties. Bulletin of Volcanology, vol 77.
- Bretton, R, Gottsmann, J, Aspinall, W & Christie, R, 2015, Implications of legal scrutiny processes (including the L’Aquila trial and other recent court cases) for future volcanic risk governance. Journal of Applied Volcanology, vol 4., pp. 18
- Auker, M, Sparks, S, Jenkins, S, Aspinall, W, Brown, S, Deligne, N, Jolly, G, Loughlin, S, Marzocchi, W, Newhall, C & Palma, J, 2015, Development of a new global Volcanic Hazard Index (VHI). in: Susan Loughlin, Steve Sparks, Sarah Brown, Susanna Jenkins, Charlotte Vye-Brown (eds) Global Volcanic Hazards and Risk. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, Cambridge, pp. 349-358
- Hodge, M, Biggs, J, Goda, K & Aspinall, WP, 2015, Assessing infrequent large earthquakes using geomorphology and geodesy in the Malawi Rift. Natural Hazards, vol 76., pp. 1781-1806
- Aspinall, WP & Blong, R, 2015, Volcanic Risk Management. in: Haraldur Sigurdsson (eds) The Encyclopedia of Volcanoes. Academic Press, pp. 1215-1234
- Woo, G & Aspinall, WP, 2015, Thirty-Year Bayesian Updating of PSHA for Hinkley Point NPP. in: CSNI Workshop on “Testing PSHA Results and Benefit of Bayesian Techniques for Seismic Hazard Assessment”. EUCentre Foundation, Pavia, Italy
- Scourse, E, Aspinall, WP & Chapman, N, 2014, Using expert elicitation to characterise long-term tectonic risks to radioactive waste repositories in Japan. Journal of Risk Research, vol 18., pp. 364-377
Edit this profile If you are Professor Willy Aspinall, you can edit this page. Login required.