Browse/search for people
Professor Willy Aspinall
Professor Willy Aspinall
Cabot Professor in Natural Hazards and Risk Science
BSc, PhD(Durham), CSci, CGeol
Area of research
Volcanology and seismology
Volcanology and seismology, and the formalised use of expert judgement in decision-making for low probability / high consequence events in circumstances of scientific or engineering uncertainty. Probabilistic assessment of earthquake and volcanic hazards and risks.
I received BSc and PhD degrees in Physics from the University of Durham in 1966 and 1970 respectively. From 1970 to 1983 I was a Research Fellow at the University of the West Indies. From 1983 to 1989 I was Senior Earth Scientist at Principia Mechanica Ltd, and have been Principal Consultant for Aspinall and Associates since 1989.
In 2009 I became Cabot Professor in Natural Hazards & Risk Science at the University of Bristol.
In 2010 I advised the UK Government regarding the volcanic ash clouds following eruptions at Eyjafjallajökull in Iceland.
I am currently a Member of the Scientific Committee of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) International Seismic Safety Centre, The IAEA Specialist Group preparing the Safety Guide on Volcanic Hazards in Site Evaluation of Nuclear Power Plants, and IAEA Working Group on Probabilistic Seismic Hazard Assessment. I am also a Specialist for the UK Nuclear Power Industry Seismic Hazard Working Party.
I was awarded the William Smith Medal by The Geological Society of London in 2012.
- earthquake assessment
- Aspinall, W, 2016, Volcano statistics casebook: Tentative evidence from two near real-time analyses for an earth tide inﬂuence on volcano-seismic events. Statistics in Volcanology, vol 2., pp. 1-13
- Havelaar, AH, Kirk, MD, Torgerson, PR, Gibb, HJ, Hald, T, Lake, RJ, Praet, N, Bellinger, DC, Silva, NRd, Gargouri, N, Speybroeck, N, Cawthorne, A, Mathers, C, Stein, C, Angulo, FJ, Devleesschauwer, B, Adegoke, GO, Afshari, R, Alasfoor, D, Baines, J, Balakrishnan, K, Bin Hamza, WM, Bolger, PM, Chaicumpa, W, Cravioto, A, Döpfer, D, Ehiri, JE, Fazil, A, Ferreccio, C, Fèvre, EM, Hall, G, Kasuga, F, Keddy, KH, Lanata, CF, Lei, H, Liu, X, Manyindo, B, Nasinyama, G, Ongolo-Zogo, P, Pitt, JI & others 2016, World Health Organization Global Estimates and Regional Comparisons of the Burden of Foodborne Disease in 2010. PLoS Medicine, vol 12.
- Aspinall, W, Cooke, RM, Havelaar, AH, Hoffmann, S & Hald, T, 2016, Evaluation of a Performance-Based Expert Elicitation: WHO Global Attribution of Foodborne Diseases. PLoS ONE, vol 11.
- Hald, T, Aspinall, W & others, 1, 2016, World Health Organization Estimates of the Relative Contributions of Food to the Burden of Disease Due to Selected Foodborne Hazards: A Structured Expert Elicitation. PLoS One, vol 11.
- & Aspinall, W, 2016, Research Synthesis Methods in an Age of Globalized Risks: Lessons from the Global Burden of Foodborne Disease Expert Elicitation. Risk Analysis, vol 36., pp. 191-202
- Bretton, RJ, Gottsmann, J, Aspinall, WP & Christie, R, 2015, Implications of legal scrutiny processes (including the L'Aquila trial and other recent court cases) for future volcanic risk governance. Journal of Applied Volcanology, vol 4.
- Bevilacqua, A, Isaia, R, Neri, A, Vitale, S, Aspinall, WP, Bisson, M, Flandoli, F, Baxter, PJ, Bertagnini, A, Ongaro, TE, Iannuzzi, E, Pistolesi, M & Rosi, M, 2015, Quantifying volcanic hazard at Campi Flegrei caldera (Italy) with uncertainty assessment: 1. Vent opening maps. Journal of Geophysical Research: Solid Earth, vol 120., pp. 2309-2329
- Engwell, SL, Aspinall, WP & Sparks, RSJ, 2015, An objective method for the production of isopach maps and implications for the estimation of tephra deposit volumes and their uncertainties. Bulletin of Volcanology, vol 77.
- Neri, A, Bevilacqua, A, Ongaro, TE, Isaia, R, Aspinall, WP, Bisson, M, Flandoli, F, Baxter, PJ, Bertagnini, A, Iannuzzi, E, Orsucci, S, Pistolesi, M, Rosi, M & Vitale, S, 2015, Quantifying volcanic hazard at Campi Flegrei caldera (Italy) with uncertainty assessment: 2. Pyroclastic density current invasion maps. Journal of Geophysical Research: Solid Earth, vol 120., pp. 2330-2349
- Bretton, R, Gottsmann, J, Aspinall, W & Christie, R, 2015, Implications of legal scrutiny processes (including the L’Aquila trial and other recent court cases) for future volcanic risk governance. Journal of Applied Volcanology, vol 4., pp. 18
Edit this profile If you are Professor Willy Aspinall, you can edit this page. Login required.