Browse/search for people
Dr Sian Crosweller
Dr Sian Crosweller
BSc(Liv), MRes(Lanc), PhD (UEA)
Area of research
VOGRIPA database manager
My research focuses on large magnitude volcanic eruptions with a view to asssessing global hazard and risk. I manage the LaMEVE (Large Magnitude Explosive Volcanic Eruptions) database, which is available online. It contains data on eruptions of at least magnitude 4 reaching back to the Quaternary. These data can be used to evaluate the magnitude-frequency relationship of such events. LaMEVE is one of the key outputs from the Global Volcano Model.
The project is closely linked with the Smithsonian Institution's Global Volcanism Program and we also collaborate with numerous other international partners. The LaMEVE database is structured in such a way that it allows for future expansion and/or direct links to databases on other hazard and risk aspects (e.g. lahars, tephra fall, vulnerability).
My interdisciplinary background has lead to also being involved with the vulnerability aspects associated with volcanic risk, including contributing to the latest Global Assessment Report for the UN.
- Brown, SK, Crosweller, HS, Sparks, RSJ, Cottrell, E, Deligne, NI, Guerrero, NO, Hobbs, L, Kiyosugi, K, Loughlin, S, Siebert, L & Takarada, S 2014, Characterisation of the Quaternary eruption record: analysis of the Large Magnitude Explosive Volcanic Eruptions (LaMEVE) database. Journal of Applied Volcanology, vol 3.
- Sparks, RSJ, Aspinall, WP, Crosweller, HS & Hincks, TK 2013, Risk and uncertainty assessment of volcanic hazards. in: Jonathan Rougier, RSJ Sparks, Lisa J Hill (eds) Risk and Uncertainty Assessment for Natural Hazards. Cambridge University Press, pp. 364-397
- Crosweller, HS & Wilmshurst, J 2013, Natural hazards and risk: the human perspective. in: Jonathan Rougier, RSJ Sparks, L Hill (eds) Risk and Uncertainty Assessment of Natural Hazards. Cambridge University Press, pp. 548-569
- Auker, MR, Sparks, RSJ, Siebert, L, Crosweller, HS & Ewert, J 2012, Statistical Analysis of the Global Historical Volcanic Fatalities Record. Journal of Applied Volcanology.
- Crosweller, HS, Arora, B, Brown, SK, Cottrell, E, Deligne, NI, Ortiz, N, Hobbs, LK, Kiyosugi, K, Loughlin, SC, Lowndes, J, Nayembil, M, Siebert, L, Sparks, RSJ, Takarada, S & Venzke, E 2012, Global database on large magnitude explosive volcanic eruptions (LaMEVE). Journal of Applied Volcanology, vol 1.
Edit this profile If you are Dr Sian Crosweller, you can edit this page. Login required.