Browse/search for people
Dr Kate Hendry
Dr Kate Hendry
Royal Society Research Fellow/Proleptic Lectureship
MA MSci, DPhil
Area of research
Silicon cycling in the oceans
My main research interests lie in the investigation of modern biogeochemical cycling and past ocean processes, focusing on biogenic opal and silicon cycling in seawater.
I obtained my undergraduate degree in Natural Sciences at Cambridge University (2004), before completing a doctorate in Antarctic biogeochemistry at Oxford University (2008). I was awarded a postdoctoral scholarship at Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution, working on ocean chemistry and paleoclimate (2009-2011). I then moved back to the UK, initially as a Research Lecturer at Cardiff University (2012-2013), then as a Royal Society University Research Fellow at the University of Bristol (2013-). I have published over 30 well-cited, peer reviewed papers, with over 400 citations, and have been invited to give talks at several international conferences. I am a director of Antarctic Science Ltd, and sits on the UK National Committee of Antarctic Research. I was awarded the European Association of Geochemistry Hautermans Award for early career geochemistry (2016), a European Research Council starter grant (2016), and was selected for the Young Academy of Europe (2017).
- Silicon cycling and global change
- silicon isotopes
- biogenic opal
- trace metals in biogenic opal
School of Earth Sciences
Earth Sciences staff
- Bates, S, Hendry, K, Pryer, H, Kinsley, CW, Pyle, K, Woodward, EMS & Horner, TJ, 2017, Barium isotopes reveal role of ocean circulation on barium cycling in the Atlantic. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta.
- Hawkings, JR, Wadham, JL, Benning, LG, Hendry, KR, Tranter, M, Tedstone, A, Nienow, P & Raiswell, R, 2017, Ice sheets as a missing source of silica to the polar oceans. Nature Communications, vol 8.
- Goodwin, C, Berman, J, Downey, R & Hendry, K, 2016, Carnivorous sponges (Porifera, Demospongiae, Poecilosclerida, Cladorhizidae) from the Drake Passage (Southern Ocean) with a description of eight new species and a review of the family Cladorhizidae in the Southern Ocean. Invertebrate Systematics.
- Goodwin, C, Berman, J, Janussen, D, Gocke, C & Hendry, K, 2016, Hexactinellida (Porifera) from the Drake Passage (Southern Ocean) with a description of three new species. Zootaxa, vol 4126., pp. 207-220
- Spooner, PT, Guo, W, Robinson, LF, Thiagarajan, N, Hendry, K, Rosenheim, B & Leng, M, 2016, Clumped isotope composition of cold-water corals: A role for vital effects?. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta, vol 179., pp. 123-141
- Welsby, HJ, Hendry, KR & Perkins, RG, 2016, The role of benthic biofilm production in the mediation of silicon cycling in the Severn Estuary, UK. Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science, vol 176., pp. 124-134
- Pyle, KM, Hendry, K, Sherrell, R, Meredith, M, Venables, HJ, Lagerstrom, M & Morte-Rodenas, A, 2016, Coastal barium cycling at the West Antarctic Peninsula. Deep-Sea Research Part II: Topical Studies in Oceanography.
- Cassarino, L, Hendry, K, Meredith, M, Venables, HJ & Rocha, Cdl, 2016, Silicon isotope and silicic acid uptake in surface waters of Marguerite Bay, West Antarctic Peninsula. Deep-Sea Research Part II: Topical Studies in Oceanography.
- Fontourbe, G, Frings, P, Rocha, Cdl, Hendry, K & Conley, D, 2016, A silicon depleted North Atlantic since the Palaeogene: Evidence from sponge and radiolarian silicon isotopes. Earth and Planetary Science Letters, vol 453., pp. 67-77
- Dodd, P, Meyer, A, Fransson, A, Duarte, P, Koenig, Z, Cooper, A, Smedsrud, LH, Hendry, K, Rerolle, V, Silyakova, A, Kusse-Tiuz, N, Miguet, J & Davis, P, 2016, N-ICE2015 bottle data from ship water sampler [v2.3].
Edit this profile If you are Dr Kate Hendry, you can edit this page. Login required.