Browse/search for people
Dr Alison Rust
Dr Alison Rust
Reader in Physical Volcanology
MSc(British Columbia), PhD(Oregon)
Area of research
I study the dynamics of volcanic processes using a combination of laboratory experiments, theoretical fluid mechanics, fieldwork and petrology. Current projects include the effects of crystals and bubbles on magma convection, the origins of acoustic and seismic oscillations at volcanoes, and mechanisms and consequences of gas movement through magmas.
My research is motivated by volcanic problems but there are broader applications. I like to work with geoscientists, mathematicians and engineers to explore connections between environmental, geophysical and industrial issues.
- volcanic processes
- theoretical fluid mechanics
- volcanic problems
- magma convection
School of Earth Sciences
Earth Sciences staff
- Strehlow, K, Sandri, L, Gottsmann, JH, Kilgour, G, Rust, AC & Tonini, R, 2017, Phreatic eruptions at crater lakes: occurrence statistics and probabilistic hazard forecast. Journal of Applied Volcanology, vol 6.
- Gilmer, A, Sparks, S, Rust, A, Tapster, S, Webb, A & Barford, DN, 2017, Geology of the Don Manuel igneous complex, central Chile: implications for igneous processes in porphyry copper systems. Geological Society of America Bulletin.
- Jones, TJ, McNamara, K, Eychenne, J, Rust, AC, Cashman, KV, Scheu, B & Edwards, R, 2016, Primary and secondary fragmentation of crystal-bearing intermediate magma. Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research, vol 327., pp. 70-83
- Hutchison, AA, Cashman, KV, Williams, CA & Rust, AC, 2016, The 1717 eruption of Volcán de Fuego, Guatemala: Cascading hazards and societal response. Quaternary International, vol 394., pp. 69-78
- Mackie, S, Cashman, K, Ricketts, H, Rust, A & Watson, IM, 2016, Volcanic Ash: Hazard Observation. Elsevier Inc.
- Coco, A, Gottsmann, JH, Whitaker, FF, Rust, AC, Currenti, G, Jasim, A & Bunney, S, 2016, Numerical models for ground deformation and gravity changes during volcanic unrest: simulating the hydrothermal system dynamics of a restless caldera. Solid Earth, vol 7., pp. 557-577
- Dietterich, HR, Cashman, KV, Rust, AC & Lev, E, 2015, Diverting lava flows in the lab. Nature Geoscience, vol 8., pp. 494-496
- Liu, E, Cashman, K & Rust, A, 2015, Optimising shape analysis to quantify volcanic ash morphology. GeoResJ, vol 8., pp. 14?30
- Strehlow, K, Gottsmann, JH & Rust, AC, 2015, Poroelastic responses of confined aquifers to subsurface strain and their use for volcano monitoring. Solid Earth, vol 6., pp. 1207?1229
- Riker, JM, Blundy, JD, Rust, AC, Botcharnikov, RE & Humphreys, MCS, 2015, Experimental phase equilibria of a Mount St. Helens rhyodacite: A framework for interpreting crystallization paths in degassing silicic magmas. Contributions to Mineralogy and Petrology, vol 170.
Dr Rust currently teaches 2 courses:
Edit this profile If you are Dr Alison Rust, you can edit this page. Login required.