Browse/search for people
Professor Edwin Gale
Professor Edwin Gale
Work with Franco Bottazzo on the Bart?s-Windsor Family Study founded by Andrew Cudworth, led to the establishment of the population-based Bart?s-Oxford Study in 1985. This led to the first survival analysis of type 1 diabetes prediction. In 1997 I moved to Bristol with Polly Bingley, my closest collaborator, and many other members of the team.
In collaboration with many other groups, my team helped to develop the current model used to predict future onset of diabetes in close relatives of an affected child. This led on to ENDIT (1994-2003), a multinational intervention trial.
Another major interest is in the epidemiology of type 1 diabetes, and I played a prominent role in the early stages of the EURODIAB ACE network, which has greatly clarified trends in the epidemiology of childhood onset diabetes in Europe.
I believe that the human brain is an under-utilized resource in diabetes research.
diabetestype 1 diabetesfuture onset of diabeteschildhood onset diabeteshuman brain
- Gale, E & Yudkin, J, 2011, Commentary: Politics of affordable insulin. BMJ, vol 343:d5675.
- Yudkin, J, Richter, B & Gale, E, 2011, Intensified glucose control in type 2 diabetes-whose agenda. Lancet, vol 377 (9773)., pp. 1220 - 1222
- Gale, E, 2011, Conflicts of interest in guideline panel members. BMJ, vol 343:d5728.
- Gale, E, 2011, Therapy: The second time as farce: rosiglitazone and the regulators. Nat Rev Endocrinol, vol 7(1)., pp. 5 - 6
- Currie, C, Gale, E & Poole, C, 2010, Estimation of primary care treatment costs and treatment efficacy for people with Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes in the United Kingdom from 1997 to 2007*. Diabetic Medicine, vol 27(8)., pp. 938 - 948
- Pinkey, J, Johnson, A & Gale, E, 2010, The big fat bariatric bandwagon. Diabetologia, vol 53(9)., pp. 1815 - 1822
- Gale, E, 2010, Diabetes in the UK: time for a reality check. Diabetic Medicine, vol 27(9)., pp. 973 - 976
- Yudkin, J, Richter, B & Gale, E, 2010, Intensified glucose lowering in type 2 diabetes: time for a reappraisal. Diabetologia, vol 53(10)., pp. 2079 - 2085
- kahn, R & Gale, E, 2010, Gridlocked guidelines for diabetes. Lancet, vol 375., pp. 2203 - 2204
- Yudkin, J, Richter, B & Gale, E, 2010, Intensive treatment of hyperglycaemia: what are the objectives?. Lancet, vol 376(9751)., pp. 1462 - 1463
Edit this profile If you are Professor Edwin Gale, you can edit this page. Login required.