Browse/search for people
Professor Mark Viney
Professor Mark Viney
Area of research
- Developmental switching in nematode life-cycles
- Nematode sex determination
- Ecology of parasitic nematodes
- Population genetics of parasitic nematodes
- Nematode biology
Further information about my research can be found on the Nematode Biology home page.
Activities / Findings
I'm interested in nematode roundworms, particularly parasitic species. I have a number of inter-linked research questions, including:
• How does the environment control nematode developmental decisions, particularly in Strongyloides spp?
• For parasitic nematode species, how does the host immune response control parasite development?
• What immune responses do wild animals make, and what drives this?
• For free-living nematode species, how do developmental responses to changing environments trade-off with other life-history traits?
- Nemetschke, L, Eberhardt, A, Viney, M & Streit, S 2010, A genetic map of the animal-parasitic nematode Strongyloides ratti. Molecular & Biochemical Parasitology, vol 169(2)., pp. 124 - 127
- Harvey, S, Shorto, A & Viney, M 2008, Quantitative genetic analysis of life-history traits of Caenorhabditis elegans in stressful environments. BMC Evolutionary Biology, vol 8:15.
- Thompson, F, Barker, G, Hughes, L & Viney, M 2008, Genes important in the parasitic life of the nematode Strongyloides ratti. Molecular and Biochemical Parasitology, vol 158(2)., pp. 112 - 119
- Bleay, C, Wilkes, C, Paterson, S & Viney, M 2007, Density-dependent immune responses against the gastrointestinal nematode Strongyloides ratti. International Journal for Parasitology, vol 37(13)., pp. 1501 - 1509
- Gardner, M, Gems, D & Viney, M 2006, Extraordinary plasticity in aging in Strongyloides ratti implies a gene-regulatory mechanism of lifespan evolution. Aging Cell, vol 5 (4)., pp. 315 - 323
- Harvey, S, Gemmil, A, Read, A & Viney, M 2000, The control of morph development in the parasitic nematode Strongyloides ratti. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London Series B, vol 267., pp. 2057 - 2063
- Viney, M 1996, Developmental switching in the parasitic nematode Strongyloides ratti. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London Series B, vol 263., pp. 201 - 208
- West, S, Gemmill, A, Graham, A, Viney, M & Read, A 2001, Immune stress and facultative sex in a parasitic nematode. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, vol 14., pp. 333 - 337
Read more >
- Ellis, RJ, Bruce, KD, Jenkins, C, Stothard, JR, Ajarova, L, Mugisha, L & Viney, ME 2013, Comparison of the Distal Gut Microbiota from People and Animals in Africa. Plos one, vol 8.
- Lello, J, Knopp, S, Mohammed, KA, Khamis, IS, Utzinger, J & Viney, ME 2013, The relative contribution of co-infection to focal infection risk in children. Proceedings of the Royal Society B - Biological Sciences, vol 280.
Edit this profile If you are Professor Mark Viney, you can edit this page. Login required.