Opening of the Queen's Building, 1958

Special Collections

Queen's key

Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip opened the newly built Queen’s Building, which still houses the University of Bristol Engineering Department, on 5 December 1958. This ornate key was made by Jays of London, so that the Queen could place it in an equally ornate lock plate, and declare the building open.

Whilst in Bristol the Queen also inaugurated the new telephone trunk dialling service for the Post Office, enabling people to make long-distance calls in Britain without the aid of an operator.

  • Item reference: DM309
  • Photographer: Jamie Carstairs
  • Copyright: University of Bristol
  • This image is licensed for some educational use only. Users must abide by these terms and conditions.