Skip to main content

Unit information: Advanced Control & Dynamics (UWE, UFME7F-15-M) in 2015/16

Please note: you are viewing unit and programme information for a past academic year. Please see the current academic year for up to date information.

Unit name Advanced Control & Dynamics (UWE, UFME7F-15-M)
Unit code EMATM0031
Credit points 15
Level of study M/7
Teaching block(s) Teaching Block 4 (weeks 1-24)
Unit director Professor. Dogramadzi
Open unit status Not open




School/department Department of Engineering Mathematics
Faculty Faculty of Engineering


This unit is provided by UWE.

Enhanced classical control system analysis and design.

Control mathematics, such as matrix algebra, Laplace transform, z-transformer, differential equations, and difference equations, for control system modelling, analysis, and design.

Use of computational packages, such as Matlab, to analyse and design control systems.

Advanced control concepts such state-space representations, solution of state equations, controllability and observability; state-feedback, (pole placement) control design.

Modelling and analysis of multivariable control systems, to convert from the transfer function model to state space representation, and vice versa. Evaluation of dynamic plant performance in aspect of controllability and observability.

Design of multivariable state-feedback controllers, decoupling control systems, state observers.

Digital control system analysis and design with applications.

Intended learning outcomes

On successful completion of this module students will be able to:
1. Show an advanced professional level of knowledge and understanding of critical analysis and design techniques for both analogue and digital control systems (Comp A, B);
2. Demonstrate subject specific techniques with respect to operation and development of suitable computer based simulation software package (Comp B);
3. Demonstrate subject specific techniques with respect to the design and simulation of analogue and digital control systems (Comp A, B);
4. Show cognitive capacity with respect to advice and application of suitable techniques for the analysis and design of automatic control systems with regard to engineering processes (Comp A, B)
5. Demonstrate key transferable skills in problem formulation and decision making (Comp A, B)
6. Demonstrate key transferable skills in IT design and consultancy in context (Comp A, B)

In addition, the educational experience may explore, develop, and practise but not formally discretely assess the following:

  • self-management skills
  • progression to independent learning and team work

Teaching details

The module will be delivered using a combination of lectures and tutorials/lab demonstrations involving example exercises.
Concepts and the scope of a topic will be introduced in lectures. These will be supported by directed reading and experimental simulation laboratory based work. The lab sessions will enhance the understanding of students of real-world applications of the material delivered in the module. The students will learn through applying a variety of analysis methods, mathematical and simulation tools to real system models. Matlab will be incorporated into the module as an integral part of teaching and learning and two hours used to demonstrate the principles.

In the teaching-learning process, the students will have opportunities to exercise both team work and independent effort.

Assessment Details

There will be a final exam set at the end of the term and a total of 75% marks will be contributed from this element (A). The other 25% marks will be contributed from coursework report (element B) module. In the resit run elements A B will be the same as set in the first run. Assessment feedback will be given on course work reports.

Reading and References

The following list is offered to provide validation panels/accrediting bodies with an indication of the type and level of information students may be expected to consult. As such, its currency may wane during the life span of the module specification. However, as indicated above, CURRENT advice on readings will be available via other more frequently updated mechanisms.

1. Dutton, K., Thompson, S., and Barraclough, B., (1997) The art of control engineering, Prentice Hall.
2. Franklin, G.E., Powell, J.D., and Workman, M.L. (1990) Digital control of dynamic systems, Addison-Wesley, New York.
3. Landau, I.D., Zito, G., (2006) Digital control systems, Design, identification and implementation, Series: Communications and Control Engineering, Springer.
4. Ogata, K., (2010) Modern Control Engineering, 5th Edition, Prentice-Hall..
5. Soderstrom, T. and Stoica, P, (1989). System identification, Prentice Hall, London.