Skip to main content

Unit information: Industrial Placement for Chemical Physics with Distance Learning in 2015/16

Please note: you are viewing unit and programme information for a past academic year. Please see the current academic year for up to date information.

Unit name Industrial Placement for Chemical Physics with Distance Learning
Unit code CHEMM4000
Credit points 120
Level of study M/7
Teaching block(s) Teaching Block 4 (weeks 1-24)
Unit director Professor. May
Open unit status Not open

CHEM20190, CHEM20220, CHEM20370, PHYS21030, PHYS23020, PHYS29031



School/department School of Chemistry
Faculty Faculty of Science


This unit is a year spent on an industrial placement. It comprises a period spent with an Industrial Supervisor carrying out one or more chemistry or physics sprojects within that industry. It is analogous to CHEM30003 but with a change to the distance learning component to introduce Physics and Chemical Physics components. The distance learning will comprise (i) Chemistry coursework questions as for the Chemistry with Industrial Experience (F105) programme, but restricted to Physical and Theoretical Chemistry, (ii) Distance learning of solid state physics.

Intended learning outcomes

Practical training in research methods through supervised work

  • The ability to manage their own learning
  • Independent learning through the use of scholarly reviews and primary sources (for example, refereed research articles and/or original materials appropriate to the discipline).
  • Present complex issues to others through written reports
  • Develop communication skills through written reports and oral presentation
  • Employ and carry out complex practical operations and techniques
  • An appreciation of conformation in both saccharides and protein structure
  • An ability to predict selectivity in organic reactions and suggest how it may be controlled
  • Understanding the link between potential energy surfaces, reaction dynamics and kinetics
  • Appreciation of the role of molecular structure and interactions in defining phase behaviour
  • Understanding of the factors that lead to electronic Spectra of Transition Metal Ions
  • Ability to draw flow diagrams of industrial chemical processes
  • Critically evaluate arguments, assumptions, abstract concepts and data (that may be incomplete), to make judgements, and to frame appropriate
  • questions to achieve a solution - or identify a range of solutions - to a problem
  • Able to take decisions in a responsible and professional manner
  • Develop time management and efficiency skills
  • Report writing skills
  • Make appropriate use of information and communication technology resources
  • The qualities and transferable skills necessary for employment requiring:
    • the exercise of initiative and personal responsibility
    • decision-making in complex and unpredictable context.

Teaching details

Much teaching will be provided on the job by members of staff at the company. Formal academic teaching will be entirely by distance learning using e-learning methods.

Assessment Details

Students will be assessed remotely by online assessment. This assessment will account for 25% of the course mark with the remaining 75% for final written report and oral presentation.

Students are also required to return to Bristol for a 3 hour end of unit written exam as part of the physics distance learning.

Reading and References

The reading needed for this course will be made available via the Distance Learning module.