Skip to main content

Unit information: Clinical Neuropsychology in 2015/16

Please note: you are viewing unit and programme information for a past academic year. Please see the current academic year for up to date information.

Unit name Clinical Neuropsychology
Unit code PSYCM0025
Credit points 15
Level of study M/7
Teaching block(s) Academic Year (weeks 1 - 52)
Unit director Professor. Kit Pleydell-Pearce
Open unit status Not open




School/department School of Psychological Science
Faculty Faculty of Life Sciences

Description including Unit Aims

This course involves student placements with BPS approved Neuropsychologists working within the NHS. There will be an opportunity to sit in on and observe clinicians while they see patients with a range of neuropsychological disorders. This will give hands on insight into clinical skills as well as direct experience of assessment, diagnosis and treatment. The course will be assessed in terms of an essay concerning the aetiology, diagnosis and treatment of a specific disorder and in terms of a formal two hour examination. Students will also be required to provide a case presentation which also deals with aetiology, diagnosis and treatment of a different disorder (i.e. not the disorder presented in the essay).

Intended Learning Outcomes

The week will comprise talks from Allied Health Professionals about their roles and interactions with psychology and neuropsychology, opportunities to see investigational techniques frequently used in the neurosciences, e.g. MRI, CT, EEG, opportunities to watch neurosurgery and opportunities to participate in different types of Multi-Disciplinary Team.

Teaching Information

Two days of the week will be devoted to Clinical Case presentation and review.

Assessment Information

30 minute case presentation (15 minutes delivery, 15 minutes questions). Candidates will be expected to demonstrate sound knowledge of the theoretical background of the case. The case presentation must also be submitted in the form of a 3000 word essay. The presentation constitutes 20% of the overall unit mark, and the essay provides the remaining 80%.

Reading and References