Skip to main content

Unit information: Applied Economics Project (QM7) in 2015/16

Please note: you are viewing unit and programme information for a past academic year. Please see the current academic year for up to date information.

Unit name Applied Economics Project (QM7)
Unit code EFIM30005
Credit points 20
Level of study H/6
Teaching block(s) Teaching Block 2 (weeks 13 - 24)
Unit director Mr. Winter
Open unit status Not open

ECON20020 Econometrics (QM3)


ECON30290 Applied Econometrics (QM4)

School/department School of Economics, Finance and Management
Faculty Faculty of Social Sciences and Law

Description including Unit Aims

In this unit you will work on an applied project in Economics or Finance using the econometric techniques you have learned in previous QM units as well as your knowledge of Economics. At least one of the topics will have a finance element so that students in Economics and Finance will be able to use their knowledge of Finance as well.

You will be given a choice of at least four topics. The course will begin with a general lecture on how to do a project as well as an individual lecture on each topic.

The project is broken into three sections. For section 1 of the project, students will form groups of three or four students and attempt to duplicate the econometric results taken from a well known paper on their chosen topic. Once the group has completed this, it will be discussed in a tutorial.

You will complete the rest of the project on your own. Each topic will have its own tutor who will hold weekly clinics to assist you as you write your project.

Intended Learning Outcomes

  • To provide students “hands-on” experience of analysing economic data;
  • To give students practical experience of using econometric software and using the output to provide an economic interpretation;
  • To give students experience in writing up results and producing a technical economic report.

Teaching Information

There are currently 6 lectures, 3 tutorial group meetings. Students also consult tutors in office hours and by e-mail.

Assessment Information

Section 1 of the project is completed in groups and this received formative assessment. It also carries 10 per cent of the summative mark. Students complete the remainder of the report working individually. The remainder of the report carries 90 percent of the summative mark. All intended learning outcomes are assessed by the project report. Independent learning 100 hours approx, Assessment (writing up the project report) 90 hours approximately.

Reading and References

This will depend on the topic chosen. Recent examples have been;

  • Marco Francesconi and Wilbert van der Klauuw 2007. “The Socioeconomic Consequences of “In-Work” Benefit Reform for British Lone Mothers.” Journal of Human Resources 42(1): 1–31.
  • Kochin L.A. (1974) “Are Future Taxes Anticipated by Consumers?” Journal of Money Credit and Banking 6 no 3 385-394
  • Alesina A. and D. Rodrik (1994) "Distributive Politics and Economic Growth" Quarterly Journal of Economics 109 2 465-490
  • Harmon C. and I. Walker (1995) “Estimates of the Economic Return to Schooling for the United Kingdom” American Economic Review Vol 85, No 5 1279-1286
  • C. Baum An Introduction to Modern Econometrics using Stata, Stata Press will also be useful.