Students in Schools
We believe that every person, who has the ability and motivation, should have the opportunity to attend a selective university, regardless of their background.
Students in Schools provides university student tutors who run eight week placements in school in the autumn and spring. The tutorials are a widening participation initiative for year 10, 11, 12 and 13 students who have the potential and motivation to to attend a selective university. The sessions are delivered in a collaborative learning style, with the aim of reinforcing learning delivered in the classroom. The first six sessions are subject tutorials, and the final two sessions are university information sessions designed to provide the information and skills required to be successful at university.
The scheme has three main aims:
- to raise aspirations for students to attend a selective university by providing them with information about university and a student as a role model
- to raise attainment in the allocated subject
- to maintain valuable partnerships with local state schools and colleges.
Students who participate can gain:
- additional academic support
- an experience and information to enhance their UCAS application form
- one extra priority point towards our prestigious Access to Bristol programme, if they attend at least seven out of eight sessions and are eligible to apply.
All state schools within one hour of the University of Bristol on public transport are eligible. Participating schools have to sign a Service Level Agreement.
Year 10, 11, 12 and 13 students who have achieved, or are able to achieve, at least five GCSEs at A*, A or B including English Language and Mathematics and have the potential to attend a selective university.
Students should also meet one or more of the following criteria:
- live in a Low Participation Area (POLAR classification 1 and 2), please visit www.hefce.ac.uk/postcode/for details
- first generation to attend university
- from a black or minority ethnic group
- be in the care of the Local Authority
Students will need to be able to attend the approximately one hour long sessions during either:
- lesson time
- lunch time
- after school
- extra curricular time
How to get involved
For more information, please email: email@example.com or call (0117) 394 1526.