Location of study 2020/21
You may have good reason to study online only and not on-campus at the current time.
If you need to study online only, complete the Location of study form to tell us so we can support you in the right way.
Who needs to complete the Location of study form
Complete the form if you intend to study online only. This may be due to:
- Travel restrictions which extend beyond a self-isolation (quarantine) period of 14 days on arrival
- Having temporary caring responsibilities for someone with coronavirus
- Another reason
If you expect this period to be temporary, include the date you expect to be able to attend in person.
Complete the form even if you have already spoken to a member of staff about this.
Who does not need to complete the Location of study form
It is not appropriate to complete the Location of study form if you are studying on some programmes:
- On-campus programmes
- Distance learning programmes
- International Foundation Programmes
Postgraduate research students
If you are currently unable to study on-campus, contact your supervisor to discuss your plans. Make sure you understand the formal requirements of your programme.
Complete the form after you have discussed your plans with your supervisor.
You do not need to complete the form if:
- you are on a distance learning programme so are not expected to attend on-campus
- at the start of the 2019/20 academic year, you had an alternative arrangement, for example full or part-time students who live a long way from Bristol
When to complete the Location of study form
Complete the form as soon as you know that you are not able attend in person, after you have registered online.
This will usually be at the start of the academic year but may be later if:
- your personal circumstances change during the year
- your programme starts at a different time
If you have not been able to register online
There may be a valid reason why you have not been able to register online yet. If this applies to you:
- register as soon as you can
- complete the Location of Study form if you need to.
After you have completed the form
- We will store your responses as part of your student record
- You will receive an email confirming that we have received your form
- Most emails will contain further information about studying online
- Staff may contact some students to discuss their plans further or provide more information
If your circumstances change and you can attend in-person
Contact us when you know the date you will be able to attend so we can make arrangements:
Currently students using the Safari web browser are unable to successfully use this form. Please use another browser such as Google Chrome or Internet explorer, while we investigate the issue. We apologise for the inconvenience.
What we do with the information you provide
We will use this information to help schools, faculties and student services provide appropriate support and meet regulatory requirements. This may inform how we:
- organise teaching groups of the appropriate size
- know who to expect to see in person and inform attendance monitoring for wellbeing and statutory reporting purposes
- manage access to student support services appropriately
- ensure compliance with our UK Visa and Immigration (UKVI) obligations
- inform statutory reporting to external bodies such as Higher Education Statistics Agency (HESA).
Sharing with third parties
We will not share the specific reasons you provide for not studying on campus with third parties.
Higher Education Statistics Agency (HESA)
The proportion of the year a student spends distance learning and on campus will be shared with HESA.
The requirement to share location of study data with HESA is not new. It is covered by the Student Agreement and data sharing agreements.
UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI)
As part of Tier 4 monitoring, the outcome of processing may inform reporting to UKVI on the status of individual student visas.
The requirement to fulfil obligations to UKVI is not new and is covered by the Student Agreement and data sharing agreements.