Sexual violence and harassment

Sexual violence is any kind of unwanted sexual activity, which does not always include physical contact.

What is sexual violence?

Sexual violence can happen to anyone, regardless of their age, gender, race, sexual orientation, religion, class or background. Sexual violence is any kind of unwanted behaviour of a sexual nature, which is intended to or has the effect of:

  • violating your dignity
  • making you feel intimidated, degraded or humiliated
  • creating a hostile or offensive environment. 

It can be any kind of unwanted sexual activity, which does not always include physical contact. For example:

  • revenge porn
  • sending emails with a sexual content
  • making unwanted sexual comments or jokes
  • physical behaviour including unwanted sexual advances or touching
  • sexual abuse
  • rape

You don’t have to have previously objected to someone's behaviour for it to be considered unwanted.

Support available

Our team of male and female Sexual Violence Liaison Officers (SVLOs) have had specialist training to support and advise any student who has experienced any form of sexual violence.

This service is available to all students, regardless of when or where the incident took place. When you request support our wellbeing advisers will refer you to the right service, which may include our SVLO team.

Support provided by our sexual violence officers

Your SVLO will be led by you. They will listen to you and discuss the options available to you. They will:

  • help you decide what support you need going forward
  • help you access that support
  • provide you with information about possible next steps.

Some of the options may include:

  • referral to specialist external support agencies
  • referral to support within the University
  • practical support, including accommodation options
  • advice on possible reporting options, including to the police or the University.

How to make a report

  • If you complete the Request Wellbeing Support form a wellbeing adviser will make contact with you to offer support and advise you about your options. This could include making a formal complaint to the University about unacceptable behaviour or reporting something to the police, but it doesn’t have to. The adviser can explain the options and possible outcomes, and help you decide what is right for you.
  • Report anonymously if you don't feel comfortable providing your details. We will know the incident has happened but will not be able to take any action.
Edit this page