Specialist clinics

At student health we provide specialist clinics for a variety of different medical problems.

Coeliac disease

Coeliac disease is a disorder of the immune system in which affected individuals are unable to digest and absorb gluten.

It is a diagnosis made after formal blood tests and usually endoscopy and biopsy. If you have a diagnosis of coeliac disease then please book a review appointment with our specially trained nurse (Nurse Hastings), who will arrange your prescriptions and update your immunisations as necessary.

If she finds that you require any further tests such as bone density scans she will refer you to one of the doctors for an assessment.

An annual review for coeliac disease is recommended and therefore you should book this with the specialist nurse via reception.


Here at Student Health we specialise in the care of young people with Type 1 diabetes.

We encourage all our newly registered patients with diabetes to come in within the first few weeks of the first term to see our practice diabetes nurse, who has years of experience dealing with young people with diabetes. She will explain to you how our service works and check that you are up to date with your annual review. She will then make an appointment for you with one of our GPs, so that all your repeat prescriptions can be arranged and added to the computer record. The aim is that you should be able to order all your repeat prescriptions via our online ordering system or by requesting at reception without having to make a doctor’s appointment, following these initial appointments.

If you arrive at University already having diabetes then you will no doubt be under a hospital consultant clinic at home. We are happy for you to continue this arrangement even though you are registered with us as your GP practice; though obviously it will be better for you to arrange your appointments in the University vacations. We encourage every patient to get their consultant to write to us following clinic appointments with information regarding annual reviews and ongoing care plans etc. Alternatively we can refer you to a specialist diabetologist here in Bristol; especially if you were about to move from the paediatric to the adult care or transition clinic. We can arrange for you to have an appointment at a transition clinic here in Bristol and ensure that you are seen by a diabetes specialist at least annually and also have access to diabetes specialist nurses based at the hospital.

We ensure that you have an annual review where your kidney function, peripheral nervous system and blood sugars are measured ( HbA1C levels) as well as having a session of digital retinal screening, held here within the practice, where your eyes are checked.

If you are concerned that you may be developing diabetes because you have the classic symptoms of rapid weight loss, excessive thirst and passing urine more frequently then please make an appointment to see the duty doctor and we can investigate this further.


Asthma is a common respiratory disorder among students and here at the Students' Health Service we offer an excellent service to those who already have a diagnosis and also to any student who is worried that they might have asthma.

We have specialist nurses (Nurse Cameron and Nurse Marshall) who can assess students, perform respiratory tests, and arrange prescriptions as guided by national guidelines. You can book an appointment directly with the asthma nurses, or see a doctor first if you prefer.

We recommend an annual review for all people on any inhaled or oral asthma medications. An annual review should be booked with the asthma nurses via reception.

Flu immunisations will be offered to those who are recommended to have them under the national protocol. We will invite you to make an appointment in the autumn if you are due a flu jab.


Flu vaccine

If you have a chronic health condition then you may need the flu vaccine. Each year we immunise patients we identify as being at risk. If you think you may need a flu vaccine then see this website or make an appointment to speak to a nurse. If you are not eligible you can still have it done privately at your local pharmacy.

Edit this page