Diabetes and Asthma



Here at Student Health we specialise in the care of young people with Type 1 diabetes.

We encourage all our newly registered patients with diabetes to come in within the first few weeks of the first term to see our practice diabetes nurse, who has years of experience dealing with young people with diabetes. She will explain to you how our service works and check that you are up to date with your annual review. The aim is that you should be able to order all your repeat prescriptions via our online ordering system or by requesting at reception without having to make a doctor’s appointment, following these initial appointments.

If you arrive at University already having diabetes then you will no doubt be under a hospital consultant clinic at home. We are happy for you to continue this arrangement even though you are registered with us as your GP practice. We encourage every patient to get their consultant to write to us following clinic appointments with information regarding annual reviews and ongoing care plans etc. Alternatively we can refer you to a specialist diabetologist here in Bristol; especially if you were about to move from the paediatric to the adult care or transition clinic. We can arrange for you to have an appointment at a transition clinic here in Bristol and ensure that you are seen by a diabetes specialist at least annually and also have access to diabetes specialist nurses based at the hospital.


We have specialist nurses who can assess students who have asthma or anyone who might be worried they have asthma. You can book an appointment directly with the asthma nurses. We recommend an annual review for all people on any inhaled or oral asthma medications. An annual review should also be booked with the asthma nurses via reception.



Flu vaccine

If you have a chronic health condition then you may need the flu vaccine. Each year we immunise patients we identify as being at risk. If you think you may need a flu vaccine then see this website or make an appointment to speak to a nurse. If you are not eligible you can still have it done privately at your local pharmacy.

Edit this page