- Integrated therapist and online CBT for depression in primary care, Kessler D, Wiles N, Welton N, Turner K, Shafran R, Williams C, Parrot S, Macleod U, Lanham P, Churchill R, Coyle D , Preist C, Lewis G Nazareth I, NIHR Programme Grants for Applied Research (2016-2022)
- Cohorts as Platforms for Mental Health research (CaP:MH). Macleod J, Wright J et al. Funder: MRC (2018-2020)
- UPPS – Understanding what happens in the GP consultation. Barnes M, Wiles N, Kessler D. Funder: NIHR School for Primary Care Research (2017-2019)
- INTERACT- Integrated therapist and online CBT for depression in primary care. Wiles N, Kessler D, Welton N, Wevill C, Churchill R, Coyle D, Turner K, Lewis G, Nazareth I, Shafran R, Gilbody S, Peters T, MacLeod U, Lanham P, Parrot S, Williams C. Funder: NIHR Programme Grants for Applied Research (2016-2022)
- ANTLER - Antidepressants to prevent relapse in depression. Lewis G, Kessler D, Kendrick A, Moore M, Freemantle N, King M, Hunter R, Wiles N, Gilbody S, Nazareth I. Funder: NIHR Health Technology Assessment (2015-2019)
- ADEPT - Guided self-help in depression for adults with autism. Russell A, Kessler D, Rai D, Wiles N, Cooper K, Barton S, Ensum I, Gaunt D, Horwood J, Parr J, Metcalfe C, Ingham B. (2015-2018)
- FITNET-NHS investigating the effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of using FITNET to treat paediatric CFS/ME in the UK: a randomised controlled trial. Crawley E (PI), Kessler D, Macleod J, Metcalfe C, Downing H, Mills N, Stallard P, van de Putte E, Nijhof S, Knoop H, Bleijenberg G, Price S. Funder: NIHR Health Technology Assessment (2016-2021)
- Timeli - Towards improving diagnosis of memory loss in general practice. Creavin S, Ben-Shomo Y, Purdy S, Cullum S. Funder: Wellcome Trust (2015-2020)
- Cognitive interviews of respiratory questionnaires: exploring links between breathlessness and anxiety. Malpass A (Qualitative PI), Carel H, McNaughton J. Funder: Wellcome Trust Life of Breath (2015-2020)
- MAPPED - Development and validation of a psychosis risk prediction tool using routine primary care consultation data. Sullivan S, Morris R, Kounali D, Hamilton W, Lewis G, Nazareth I. Funder: NIHR School for Primary Care Research (2019-2020)
- Identifying the most appropriate treatment for IAPT attendees with depression and co-morbid personality difficulties. Turner K, Moran P, French L, Kessler D, Wiles N. Funder: NIHR School for Primary Care Research (2016-2018)
- MIR Study - A double blind placebo-controlled randomised trial of the addition of the antidepressant mirtazapine for patients with depression in primary care who have not responded to at least 6 weeks of antidepressant treatment. D Kessler, W Hollingworth, G Lewis, S Davies, N Wiles, A Montgomery, C Chew-Graham, S Gilbody, I Anderson, U Macleod, J Campbell, C Dickens. NIHR Health Technology Assessment Programme
- CADENCE - A feasibility study and pilot RCT to establish methods for assessing the acceptability, and clinical and cost-effectiveness of enhanced psychological care (EPC) in cardiac rehabiliation services for patients with new onset depression compared with treatment as usual. Campbell J, Richards S, Dickens C, Richards D, Taylor R, Gandhi M, Turner K, Ukoumunne O, Anderson R, Kessler D, Kuyken W, Chawner R, Gibson A. Funder: NIHR Health Technology Assessment (2014-2016)
- What are the indications for prescribing antidepressants that will lead to a clinical benefit? (PANDA). G Lewis, C Dowrick, S Gilbody, T Peters, N Wiles, W Hollingworth, T Kendrick, J Robinson, A Malpass, D Kessler, P Lanham, T Ades, N Welton, R Churchill, R Araya, S Mulvenna. NIHR Programme Grant for Applied Research
- Primary care patients’ views and experiences of treatments for depression: a secondary analysis of qualitative data. K Turner, J Donovan and D Kessler. NIHR School for Primary Care Research (2015).
- Expanding the role of NHS Direct in the management of long term conditions. Salisbury C, Nicholl J, O’Cathain A, Pope C, Hollinghurst S, Montgomery A, Young H, Large S, Lewis G, Yardley L, Brownsell S, Fahey T. Funder: NIHR Programme Grant (2009-2014)
- Therapeutic alliance in online CBT and the implications for mode of delivery for primary care patients with depression. Heawood A (PI), Barnes R, Malpass A, Kessler D. Funder: The Bupa Foundation. (2010-2012).
- ‘Doctors as Patients’ A qualitiative study of barriers and facilitators to help seeking’, Riley R, Kessler D et al School for Primary Care Research
- Identification of gambling problems in primary care: A quantitative study, Cowlishaw S, Kessler D, Huntley A., School for Primary Care Research
- Guided self-help in depression for adults with autism spectrum disorder, Russell A, Kessler D, Wiles N, Rai D, Ensum I, Barton S, Ingham B, Parr J, Horwood J, HTA (2015)
- Antidepressants to prevent relapse in depression, Lewis G, Nazareth I, King M, Kessler D, Gilbody S, Freemantle N, Hunter R, Wiles N, Kendrick T, Moore M HTA (2015)
- A feasibility study of an intervention for medically unexplained symptoms in primary care, Barnes R, Kessler D, funded by NIHR RfPB (2014-2017).
- A pragmatic randomised controlled trial to evaluate the cost-effectiveness of a physical activity intervention as a treatment for depression: TREAD - G Lewis, M Chalder, N Wiles, A Montgomery, J Campbell, K Fox, A Taylor, A Haase, S Hollinghurst, K Turner, M Calnan, funded by NIHR Health Technology Assessment (2012)
- A synthesis of patient experiences’ of mindfulness based interventions followed by a feasibility study of mindfulness based cognitive therapy (MBCT) in patients with COPD and/or asthma and co-morbid symptoms of anxiety and/or depression. A Malpass, D Kessler, D Sharp, M Ridd, M Bowden, J Wallond, H Carel, J Calvert. National Institute for Health Research and the National School of Primary Care Research.
Investigating if depressed male primary care patients can be supported in groups. H Cramer, R Araya, C Salisbury, J Horwood, S Payne. H Lester.
OTIS: Online Therapy Interaction Study. A Heawood, R Barnes, D Kessler, A Malpass, St Ekberg. Bupa Foundation (2013)
Systematic review of group based psychological therapy for depression. R Araya, A Huntley, C Salisbury. SW GP Trust.
Collaborative Depression Trial (CADET). D Richards, D Kessler, R Araya, G Lewis. Medical Research Council (2013).
Randomised Evaluation of the Effectiveness and Acceptability of Computerised Therapy (REEACT). S Gilbody, D Kessler, R Araya. NIHR Health Technology Assessment. Further details can be found on the project website: http://www.reeact.org.uk/ (2015)
- Using Mendelian Randomisation to Establish the Causal Role of Cigarette Smoking in Anxiety and Depression. M Munafo, G Davey Smith, M Hickman, G Lewis, J Macleod. MRC
- Feasbility study of mindfulness based cognitive therapy for COPD/asthma and co-morbid anxiety/depression. Malpass A, Heawood A, Sharp D, Kessler D. Funder: NIHR PDF Fellowship (2009-2012)
- Barriers and facilitators to antidepressant use over time. Heawood A, Kessler D, Malpass A, Sharp D. Funder: NIHR School for Primary Care Research (2007-2009)