Schools and colleges
- Practical physics workshops in our teaching labs
- Particle Physics Masterclass
- Quantum in the Summer
- Work experience
Practical physics workshops in our teaching labs
We can arrange workshops in our undergraduate teaching labs, from lighter activities to more focused sessions designed to supplement students’ practical abilities and reinforce data analysis and error estimation techniques. All activities are thoroughly assessed for risks and are supervised.
Workshops generally begin with a short introductory talk about the science and applications of the techniques, then the students work in pairs to complete the experiments.
The workshops we currently offer are:
- Waves Workshop: This can be tailored for pre-GCSE to A-level. The workshop involves a selection of experiments ranging from the measurement of the speed of sound and experimenting with standing waves on strings and Chladni plates, to more complicated electron diffraction experiments allowing the calculation of Planck’s constant.
- Fun with Liquid Nitrogen: After a short talk introducing liquid nitrogen (its properties, hazards and applications) students are allowed to experiment in small groups. The effects of superconductivity are demonstrated, and the ‘The Physics of Ice-cream’ talk can be incorporated.
- Fun with Holography: Students can fabricate their own holograms in a darkroom, using a laser to expose the films and a development procedure similar to that used for traditional photographs. (Suitable only for very small groups.)
If you would like to enquire further or discuss the possibility of a session specifically tailored to supplement theoretical knowledge from school classes, please contact Dr Gemma Winter.
Particle Physics Masterclass
The next workshop will take place on Thursday 25th April 2019. The workshop is designed for 16 - 18 year-olds / sixth formers.
Please contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org with any queries.
Quantum in the Summer
Each year members of the Centre for Quantum Photonics hold a week long summer school based on the quantum phenomena and the power of light. Aimed at students aged 16+ this free event includes lectures and demonstrations from our researchers on a variety of different topics. For further information please email email@example.com
A week of work experience is organised every year in which students are able to spend time with various research groups, work in the teaching labs and attend talks and demonstrations within the school.
Please be aware, applications for 2017/18 are now closed. For 2018/19 applications please apply here in October 2018. Places are allocated in a first come, first serve basis.
For further information on work experience please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
A number of our academics give talks and demonstrations at schools and colleges.
HiSparc is a very successful outreach programme which invites schools to participate in real research into cosmic rays.