EndNote is the University of Bristol's recommended reference management software.
What is EndNote?
EndNote is a tool that helps you to collect, store and organise all the references you have found from different sources. EndNote will enable you to effortlessly cite these references in Word and will automatically create a bibliography in whatever referencing style you require.
It has a Desktop and Online component that can be used in conjunction or separately depending on individual needs and preferences.
Which version should I use?
The Desktop version comes highly recommended for Research Postgraduates and staff. It can be synchronised with an EndNote Online account if needed.
For Undergraduates and Masters students, we recommend using the Online version. It has all the functionality required, takes less time to learn, and is a good introduction to reference software.
Both versions are available free to all members of the university. Library Services run training sessions for both EndNote Desktop and Online.
The following guides will help get you started.
EndNote Desktop (often referred to as simply EndNote or EndNote X9) is available for installation on all University PCs from the IT Software Center and is part of the standard software suite on Windows 10 machines.
Students and staff are also able to download a personal copy for laptop and/or home use from the University's OnTheHub page (search for Endnote).
We highly recommend attending the two-hour sessions run by Library Services. Sessions run during term time and dates will be released regularly. You can book a place from the Library events page. If there are no dates available when you check, please use the online tutorial linked to from the top right of this page and the resources under 'self-help' below.
- Create one library to keep all your references in the same place.
- Use the groups feature to organise your references.
- Always save a back-up copy of your EndNote library by selecting File > Save a copy.
- Check for duplicate references before writing up. Having duplicates in your EndNote library can cause problems, especially when you start to reference your work.
- To find full text articles via UoB subscriptions for your references in EndNote:
- go to menu item EndNote X9 > Preferences > Find full text and tick the OpenURL box
- in the ‘OpenURL Path’ box, insert: https://bris.on.worldcat.org/atoztitles/link
- in the ‘Authenticate With: URL’ box, insert: https://bris.idm.oclc.org/login?url=
- Check that the references are appearing properly in your work by comparing them with the official referencing guidelines for your style. If a reference is not appearing correctly in Word, you may need to edit the reference details in your EndNote library or double check that you are using the right output style.
EndNote Online (sometimes referred to as EndNote Web or EndNote Basic) is the web-based version. An enhanced version is available to all UoB students and staff by registering via the Web of Science.
Like the Desktop version, it stores and organises bibliographic references and then lets you effortlessly cite these references in Word, whilst automatically creating a bibliography. It can be used in conjunction with EndNote Desktop for when you are off campus.
Signing up for EndNote Online
We recommend that you create your EndNote Web account on campus. This ensures that your account is automatically associated with the University of Bristol, which gives you 5GB of storage as well as access to the University of Bristol referencing styles. Where this is not possible, please sign up in one of the following ways:
- Go to http://www.bris.ac.uk/library/find/databases/
- Search 'Web of Science' or go to 'W'.
- Click on 'Web of Science Core Collection'.
- Once in the Web of Science, click on the 'Products' link on the top banner and select 'EndNote' from the drop-down menu.
- Register with you UoB email address. This will give you the full functionality available.
- Go to https://wok.mimas.ac.uk
- Click 'Access now'.
- Under 'Institutional log in', choose 'UK Federation' then press 'Go'.
- In the search box start typing 'University of Bristol', click on the option when it appears below, and press 'Continue'.
- Sign in with your UoB username and password
- Once in the Web of Science, follow the same instructions as above.
- Register with your UoB email address. This will give you the full functionality available.
Once registered you can log in to the service direct from www.myendnoteweb.com and begin saving references into your acount. Roaming access will allow you to use it from any computer, but you must login via a University computer, or via the Web of Science, at least once every 12 months to authenticate your status as a University of Bristol student or staff member.
Library Services run short, introductory sessions in Teaching Blocks 1&2. Dates will be advertised on the Library Events page. If no dates are up when you check, please use the comprehensive help within EndNote and the resources in the 'self-help' section below.
- A comprehensive online guide to using EndNote Online.
- Clarivate Analytics (product developers) – videos and class notes.
Learn how to use EndNote Desktop effectively (requires single sign on)