History of art
Your subject librarian
Tel: +44 (0)117 428 2185 | Internal 82185
Contact me if you would like some advice. I can help you to:
Key subject resources
- Arts on Film Archive - online access to a large range of films on art produced in the UK since the 1950s. Please note: due to copyright restrictions the Arts Council England films can only be streamed to ac.uk domain addresses.
- ARTstor - nonprofit digital library of more than one million images in the arts, architecture, humanities, and social sciences. Please note: users are required to register and set up a personal ARTstor account to download images and use other features of the service.
- Bibliography of the History of Art (BHA) and Répertoire de la litterature de l'art (RILA) - these citation databases, searchable together, cover material published between 1975 and 2007. The BHA includes articles from over 1,200 journals.The Getty Web site offers both basic and advanced search modules for BHA and RILA, and they can be searched easily by subject, artist, author, article or journal title, and other elements.
- Grove Art Online - scholarly art encyclopedia, covering both Western and non-Western art, featuring: articles, bibliographies for further research, thousands of searchable images, access to The Concise Oxford Dictionary of Art Terms, Encyclopaedia of Aesthetics, and The Oxford Companion to Western Art.
- Index to 19th century American Art Periodicals - searchable index of 42 art journals published in the US during the 19th century.
- Vogue Archive - contains the entire run of Vogue magazine (US edition) from 1892 to the present day.
Skills and training
Your subject librarian will provide a programme of lectures and training on library and information skills, in consultation with your department or school.
A number of guides and video tutorials on searching databases will be available soon. In the meantime please contact your subject librarian if you require any help.
If there is a book you would like us to buy, please fill out the form.