Entry requirements for undergraduate courses

You can apply for undergraduate programmes either through the Universities and Colleges Admissions Service (UCAS) or the Common Application.

Please use only one method of applying.

If you are using UCAS to apply for other UK universities, please also make your University of Bristol application through UCAS and do not use the Common Application. The UCAS code name and number for this University is BRISL B78.

AP and SAT results can be sent to Bristol via the College Board Code: 5371

We will consider applicants with the following:

A High School Diploma (or equivalent) with a GPA of 3.2 minimum (3.4 for competitive courses)

and a total of THREE in any combination from the following list:
(N.B. Each AP counts towards the THREE. E.g. 3 AP's OR 2 AP's and 1x SAT is acceptable)

*Some courses require a specific test score :

Associates Degree

An associates degree is acceptable for direct entry onto undergraduate courses.

British A-Level's  Associate Degree Equivalencies
 A*A*A  GPA of 3.4 or better is required
 A*AA  GPA of 3.3 or better is required
 AAA  GPA of 3.2 or better is required
 AAB  GPA of 3.1 or better is required
 ABB  GPA of 3.0 or better is required

N.B. Applicants who have completed the High School Diploma and some of the above tests, but don’t have a total of THREE, will require a foundation course for entry onto undergraduate degree programmes at the University. A GPA of 3.0 is required with good grades in relevant subjects.

Additional Entry Requirements

Applicants who have completed the High School Diploma combined with a successfully completed appropriate foundation/bridging programme will be considered for admission to our Bachelor degree courses.

Applicants who have successfully completed the first year of a U.S. University degree will be considered for admission to the first year of our Bachelor degree courses.

Applicants with the International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma or British A-Levels will be considered for admission to our Bachelor degree courses.

Please note that we do not generally require any standardized tests, but students for Law will need to take the LNAT, and applicants to Medicine and Dentistry are required to take the UKCAT test.

Please note that competition for places at Bristol is very strong, so the achievement of the qualifications listed above does not guarantee that an offer will be made. We aim to get you a response as quickly as possible to help you plan your studies.

Study Abroad

Students who are already at University in the United States but who are interested in spending one or two credit-bearing semesters as an undergraduate at Bristol should consult our Study Abroad pages for more details. Study Abroad applications do not go through UCAS.

Entry requirements for postgraduate programmes

You can apply online for all our postgraduate programmes.

The standard requirement for entry to a taught Masters programme at Bristol is an undergraduate (Bachelor) degree that is equivalent to a UK Upper Second Class degree (also known as a 2:1).

Applicants who hold a Bachelor (Honours) degree will be considered for admission to a Masters degree.

A CGPA of 3.2 or above is considered equivalent to a UK Upper Second Class degree.

Applicants who hold a 2 year Masters degree from the United States or a 1 Year Masters from the United Kingdom will be considered for admission to PhD study. A research proposal is required.

To investigate research opportunities in our faculties please visit the postgraduate prospectus

Scholarship information

Think Big scholarships - New for 2018, the University of Bristol is delighted to launch the new Think Big scholarship scheme. 52 scholarships are available to international applicants for undergraduate and taught postgraduate programmes at the University of Bristol. Information on eligibility and how to apply can be found at If you have any specific queries, please don’t hesitate to get in touch with our Scholarships & Sponsors team at

Further information about scholarships is available from the University's Student Funding Office.

Funding your studies

This webpage provides students with information on all US Student Federal Aid:

US Loans for American students

British Council in the USA

The British Council has offices in more than 100 countries. Many of them are able to give guidance and information regarding Higher Education in the UK. Here are details of the Washington Office, please visit the British Council website for further information.

The British Embassy, 3100 Massachusetts Avenue, NW Washington, DC 20008-3600, USA
Tel: 1 202 588 6500
Fax: 1 202 588 7918

Meet current students online

Find out what our international students think about life in Bristol through our student profiles.

The University Students' Union has a number of cultural societies. You can check their website to see the whole range of clubs and societies that are here.

English language requirements

Student using headphones

If English is not your first language, please refer to our English language requirements.

Visits to your country

Airline travel tags

You can meet and talk to our staff at exhibitions held in your country; find out when we are visiting you schedule of overseas visits.

Edit this page