Athena SWAN Charter
The University of Bristol is a founder member of the Royal Society Athena SWAN Charter and is proud to have been one of the first universities to be awarded the Athena SWAN Bronze Award.
What is the Athena SWAN Charter?
The Athena SWAN Charter was established by the Equality Challenge Unit in 2005 to encourage and recognise commitment to advancing the careers of women in science, technology, engineering, maths and medicine (STEMM) employment in higher education and research. We are proud that the majority of our STEMM Schools hold Athena SWAN Awards.
In May 2015 the charter was expanded to recognise work undertaken in arts, humanities, social sciences, business and law (AHSSBL), and in professional and support roles, and for trans staff and students. The charter now recognises work undertaken to address gender equality more broadly, and not just barriers to progression that affect women.
We are strengthening our commitment to gender equality through the aim to increase the proportion of Faculties and Schools achieving the Athena SWAN Awards for their various achievements, initiatives and actions in recruiting and promoting women.
We currently hold a Bronze Institutional Award, and our Gender Equality Group takes responsibility for its implementation and monitoring the progress of actions.
For questions related to the Athena SWAN Charter at the University of Bristol please contact the Diversity & Inclusion Team.
- University of Bristol (Bronze)
- Bristol Dental School (Silver)
- Bristol Medical School (Silver)
- Bristol Veterinary School (Bronze)
- School of Biochemistry (Silver)
- School of Biological Sciences (Silver)
- School of Cellular and Molecular Medicine (Bronze)
- School of Physiology, Pharmacology and Neuroscience (Bronze)
- School of Psychological Science (Bronze)
- School of Chemistry (Bronze)
- School of Earth Sciences (Bronze)
- School of Geographical Sciences (Bronze)
- School of Mathematics (Silver)
- School of Physics (Bronze)
- School of Law (Bronze)
For University of Bristol staff only