Visiting research students
The Faculty of Biomedical Sciences welcomes research students from other universities who wish to spend time studying with us.
Visiting research students should note that:
- You may be required to pay a bench fee. The definitive fee will be confirmed in your offer letter.
- You are responsible for all costs associated with your visit, including accommodation, subsistence, travel and leisure costs. We do not currently offer any bursaries or other financial support for visiting research students.
- If possible, we recommend that visiting research students bring a laptop computer with them.
- The University of Bristol will not award any credit or make any awards based on work undertaken during the research visit.
- You will expected to engage with the research community in the Faculty of Biomedical Sciences within the relevant research theme and, if appropriate, within the school.
If you wish to come to the Faculty of Biomedical Sciences as a visiting research student, you must be registered as a research student at another university.
How to apply for a visit
First, you must secure the agreement of a member of academic staff to act as your supervisor for the duration of your visit. Please see our research themes and groups to find members of staff whose research area matches your interests. Contact them directly, using the contact details given.
Once you have secured the agreement of a potential supervisor, and have agreed dates for your visit with them, please complete the following form:
Email email@example.com with the following:
- your completed form;
- academic transcripts;
- degree certificate.
Once we have processed your application, you will be sent an offer letter and provided with further information as necessary.
If you are from a non-English speaking EU country then you are not required to provide an IELTS certificate. However you will be interviewed by your prospective supervisor who will confirm your standard of English is suitable for the placement.
Visiting for more than six months
In addition to the above, international applicants should also send an IELTS certificate which is less than two years old, confirming a minimum overall score of 6.5, with 6.5 in each band (if required).
You will also need to apply for a Tier 4 visa, and ATAS clearance. We will only be able to provide you with a Confirmation of Acceptance of Studies once any academic conditions have been met.
Visiting for less than six months
If you are visiting for less than six months, then you are not required to provide an IELTS certificate. However you will be interviewed by your prospective supervisor who will confirm your standard of English is suitable for the placement. In this case, you will be able to apply for a Short-term Study Visa. You should contact the Faculty Office to request a letter supporting this.
If you have any questions about the application process for visiting research students, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.