International students quarantine information

Update: quarantine following international travel

From 15 February anyone, including all students, travelling to the UK from a country on the UK's travel ban list must:

  1. Quarantine in a government-approved facility for 10 days.
  2. Fund the quarantine period.

We understand this will cost approximately £1,750 but the UK government have not confirmed this yet.

You are required to have 2 PCR coronavirus tests during the quarantine period.

If you are planning to travel to the UK from an affected country you can contact:

If you need to discuss your travel arrangements or need information on transfers from quarantine, you can contact the International Office

When you arrive in the UK from a non-exempt country, you will not be allowed to leave the place where you're staying for the first 10 days. This is known as either quarantine or self-isolation.

The government's 'Test to Release' scheme offers you the option to take an accredited COVID-19 test from a private testing provider after five days of self-isolation, and a negative test result would release you from the need to isolate.

If you have to self-isolate:

  • You should not have visitors unless they are providing essential care.
  • You should not leave your accommodation for 10 days unless you need urgent medical assistance, you need essentials such as medicine and cannot arrange for these to be delivered, or if there is another essential reason.

Students will be expected to strictly follow government guidance on how to self isolate when you travel to the UK. Make sure that you always wear a face covering when you use kitchens and bathrooms shared by other students in your living circle.

After your period of self-isolation, you will become a household with the flatmates in your living circle. You will need to socially distance from others outside your living circle at all times and follow the government's COVID-19 guidance – all students must read and abide by the University's COVID-19 Behavioural Policy.

Support during quarantine

To support self-isolation, the University is providing bedding, food, kitchen and cleaning equipment to all students travelling to the University from outside of the travel corridors.

To get your quarantine pack:

In your email you should state:

  • residence name
  • floor
  • flat
  • the date that you entered into self-isolation
  • dietary requirements – meat/vegan (if you have another dietary requirment, such as an allergy, then you must also fill in the self-isolation form)
  • whether you need a bedding pack
  • whether you need a kitchen pack
  • whether you need a household pack
  • whether you need a crockery pack
  • whether you need a quarantine cleaning kit

Boxes will be labelled and delivered to the entrance of your accommodation on the same day and you will be informed of box delivery by either email or phone.

Find out what will be inside your international quarantine box (168kb PDF)

In addition to the individual quarantine boxes, the following communal equipment will be made available in all kitchens where there is at least one self-isolating student:

  • 1 kitchen pack, including pots, pans, utensils and cooking equipment 
  • 1 household pack, including washing up bowl, washing up liquid, tea towels and surface cleaner
  • 1 cleaning pack, including hand soap, antibacterial surface spray, cloths, bin bags and toilet cleaner

This equipment may be shared by up to 5 self-isolating students. Students who are not self-isolating should not use it.

As kitchen and cleaning equipment is shared with other self-isolating students in your living circle, it is important that you do not remove any of this equipment from the kitchen. This is to make sure that other self-isolating students can use it when required. Wash up all kitchen equipment immediately after use and put cleaning materials back in kitchens after using them in bedrooms.

Information for International Students

Helpful information for international students coming to Bristol can be found on our International students webpage and up-to-date travel advice for international students can be found on our international travel webpage.

If you think you have coronavirus

Check if you have symptoms. If you do:

  1. Stay at home and follow advice on how to self isolate.
  2. Don’t attend classes and avoid socialising with others.
  3. Book a coronavirus test if you haven't already done so.
  4. Tell us by completing the coronavirus self-reporting form.

We will tell your school and University residence.

Find out what support is available when you are self-isolating.

Contact the Information Point if you have any questions:

Self-isolation guidance

If you need to self-isolate for any other reason then foreign travel, we will support you every step of the way.  You must fill out the self-isolation form to let us know that you are self-isolating, then our dedicated Covid response team will email you to let you know about the support available.

Find out what you need to do and how we can help on our self-isolation pages.  

Edit this page