Location of Study
Complete the Location of study form to tell us where you are studying so we can support you in the right way.
Who needs to complete the form
Complete the Location of Study form if you:
- plan to study online-only for some or all of Teaching Block 2 (TB2)
- do not expect to return to in-person, blended learning this academic year
- were studying online for TB1, but plan to start blended learning in TB2
- can confirm that the date you are ready to start attending in-person sessions is accurate. You can do this up to a week in advance of your start date
- want to change the date of your planned start of in-person blended learning
If you have already completed the form
Complete the form again so we have up-to-date information for TB2.
International Foundation Programme students
Complete the form if you want to study online.
Who does not need to complete the Location of study form
It is not appropriate to complete the Location of study form if you are studying on some programmes:
- On-campus programmes (which cannot be taken online only)
- Distance learning programmes
Help completing the form
We recommend using Chrome or Internet Explorer to complete this form.
If you do not expect to return to blended learning this academic year
Enter 31 July 2021 as your expected date of return.
If you know the date you intend to return to blended learning
Complete the Location of Study form and enter your planned date to start blended learning.
If your planned date for return to blended learning changes
Complete the Location of Study form again and update your planned date to start blended learning.
When to complete the form
Complete the form:
- as soon as you know that you are not able attend in person
- when you are ready to start blended learning.
- each time your location of study circumstances change
Postgraduate research students
If you are currently unable to study on-campus, contact your supervisor to discuss your plans. Make sure you understand the formal requirements of your programme.
Complete the form after you have discussed your plans with your supervisor.
You do not need to complete the form if:
- you are on a distance learning programme so are not expected to attend on-campus
- at the start of the 2019/20 academic year, you had an alternative arrangement, for example full or part-time students who live a long way from Bristol
Incoming Study Abroad and Erasmus students
If your circumstances change and you can attend in-person email firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as you know the date you can attend so they can make arrangements.
After you have completed the form
- We will store your responses as part of your student record
- Staff may contact some students to discuss their plans further or provide more information.
What we do with the information you provide
We will use this information to help schools, faculties and student services provide appropriate support and meet regulatory requirements. This may inform how we:
- organise teaching groups of the appropriate size
- know who to expect to see in person and inform attendance monitoring for wellbeing and statutory reporting purposes
- manage access to student support services appropriately
- ensure compliance with our UK Visa and Immigration (UKVI) obligations
- inform statutory reporting to external bodies such as Higher Education Statistics Agency (HESA).
Sharing with third parties
We will not share the specific reasons you provide for not studying on campus with third parties.
Higher Education Statistics Agency (HESA)
The proportion of the year a student spends distance learning and on campus will be shared with HESA.
The requirement to share location of study data with HESA is not new. It is covered by the Student Agreement and data sharing agreements.
UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI)
As part of student visa monitoring, the outcome of processing may inform reporting to UKVI on the status of individual student visas.
The requirement to fulfil obligations to UKVI is not new and is covered by the Student Agreement and data sharing agreements.