- B-eat the Uk’s national eating disorder charity. Have a look at the resources they have available.
- National Centre For Eating Disorders has a wealth of information about eating difficulties and treatments available.
- Something Fishy dedicated to recovery from eating disorders.
- Men Get Eating Disorders Too (MGEDT) a charity supporting men with eating disorders.
- Anorexia and Bulimia care support anyone affected by eating disorders.
- Headspace to help with meditation.
- Recovery Record designed to help you manage your recovery from an eating disorder.
Videos, films and talks
- Overshadowed a BBC3 mini-drama on anorexia.
- Marie talks about her experience of overcoming binge eating.
- Ruth talks about her experience of teenage anorexia.
Podcasts and audio downloads
- Listen to the the Mental Health Foundation's wellbeing podcasts including relaxation exercises.
- NHS choices offer a range of audio downloads to help manage your mood.
- Mindfulness For Students provide online mindfulness training to help you stay calm and focussed and manage the pressures of student life.
- The Centre for Clinical Interventions provide downloadable workbooks on building self-compassion, building body acceptance and overcoming disordered eating.
- Minded is an online resource for learning about common mental health issues including eating disorders.
- Ecouch is an online Cognitive Behavioural Therapy course that can help you manage anxiety associated with eating problems.
Blogs and vlogs
- Finding Melissa is a personal story of Melissa’s journey through an eating disorder.
- Time To Change is a campaign to reduce stigma about mental health issues. They have several blogs about eating problems.
- Student Minds is the UK’s student mental health charity. They host a blog on a variety of mental health and wellbeing matters, including anorexia, bulimia.
- Mind are a national mental health charity. Download their self-help booklet on eating problems.
- Download the NHS Northumberland Tyne and Wear leaflet about eating disorders.
- The Royal College of Psychiatrists has leaflets on eating problems that can be translated into different languages.
- Freeman, C. (2009). 'Overcoming anorexia nervosa: A self-help guide using Cognitive Behavioural techniques'. Overcoming Books.
- Heffner. M. (2004). 'The anorexia workbook: how to accept yourself, heal your suffering and reclaim your life'. New Harbinger.
- Fairburn. C. (2013) 'Overcoming Binge eating'. Guilford Press.
- Hirschmann, J & Munter, C (2010). 'Overcoming Overeating'. Ebury Press.
Support groups (face-to-face and online)
- Bristol Eating Disorders Peer Support Group host peer support meetings twice a month for anyone affected by eating problems.
- SWEDA are a local organisation dedicated to helping people affected by eating disorders.
- Focus Bath offer a free support group for people with any form of eating disorder.
- Overeaters Anonymous is an international organisation dedicated to helping people with problematic eating.
- Womankind Bristol support women struggling with a range of issues. Tel: 0345 458 2914.
- B-eat have a dedicated eating disorder helpline from 3 pm to 10pm daily. Tel: 0808 801 0677.
- Nightline is a listening and information service run by students for students.
It is available every night of term from 8pm to 8am. Phone: +44 (0)117 926 6266
- You may wish to consider visiting your doctor to talk about your eating problems. Together you can explore what sort of help might be most suitable.
- First Step is the local NHS service for anyone experiencing anorexic or bulimic eating problems. You need a doctor's referral to access their services.
External support in Bristol
Find out what other external support is available in Bristol.
Big White Wall
Big White Wall helps you to get support, take control and feel better when you are anxious, low or not coping.
The online service is free, available 24/7 and completely anonymous.
- Chat to other members who may be experiencing the same things as you
- Access a range of tools to help you self-manage
- Set goals and track progress
- Access articles, videos and online courses.