Arrivals and transport
Further details will be published on this page over the coming months, so please check back.
Before you travel checklist
To do now
- See if you need a student visa for study in the UK.
- Buy travel tickets and travel insurance.
- Visit your dentist/optician as care can be expensive in the UK.
- Read our pages about the city of Bristol.
- Look at GOV.UK's Student arrival guide to help you through passport control when you arrive at the UK Border.
- If you have a disability contact Disability Services to access their full range of support.
- Check the HM Revenue and Customs website to see what you can bring into the UK.
Just before you travel
We will add information here over the next few months.
When to arrive
We organise activites for new students to help you settle in. These take place in Welcome Week, 18-22 September 2017.
- Welcome Week timetable for Arts and Humanities pathway (Office document, 40kB)
- Welcome Week timetable for Social Sciences and Law pathway (Office document, 39kB)
- Welcome Week timetable for Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths pathway (Office document, 40kB)
Teaching starts on Monday 25 September 2017.
Where we can meet you
Leaving home and arriving in a different country can be overwhelming. We are here to help.
We can meet you when you arrive in the UK, if you arrive between Friday 15 and Sunday 17 September 2017. Our friendly Student Ambassadors will meet you and take you to your accommodation.
We can meet you at the following locations:
- Heathrow Airport Ambassadors will assist you with your onward travel to Bristol Bus and Coach station where others will take you directly to your accommodation.
Our Student Ambassadors will be wearing red and white T-shirts and holding a University of Bristol sign.
How to get to Bristol, if you arrive at another time
If you are delayed, or you arrive at any other time, you must organise your own travel to Bristol.
Read UKCISA travel and transport in the UK general information.
If you are planning to arrive before you can move in to your university accommodation, you will have to arrange accommodation. Have a look at where can you stay for more information.
We recommend you fly to Bristol Airport which has flights from international airports around the world
The Welcome Lounge
The Welcome Lounge is located in the Richmond Building on the 4th floor.
It is an informal place where you can
- meet other new students and make friends;
- meet Student Ambassadors who can answer any questions about starting university;
- get a bank letter so you can open a UK bank account;
- book a campus tour;
- find out about transport, accommodation, Students’ Union (SU) activities.
You do not need to book an appointment, just come along during opening hours.
|Monday 4 September to Friday 8 September||10 am to 4 pm|
|Saturday 9 September to Sunday 10 September||Closed|
|Monday 11 September to Friday 15 September||10 am to 4 pm|
|Saturday 16 September||10 am to 4 pm|
|Sunday 17 September||10 am to 1 pm|
|Monday 18 September to Friday 22 September||10 am to 4 pm|
You can to collect the key to your accommodation during arrivals weekend. You will be sent information about arranging your key collection time.
If you arrive before your accommodation is ready, you can find information about hotels and guesthouses in Where to stay.
Find out more about arrivals and moving in.