Transfer to a different course or programme

If you’re thinking about changing course, the best place to start is to speak to your personal tutor or supervisor for advice.

When you can transfer

Transfers are usually only allowed during the first two weeks of Teaching Block 1.
Undergraduates can also transfer at the end of their first year.

When you can't transfer

Transfers are not always possible. For example, if:

  • the course you want to transfer to is full, or
  • you do not meet the entry requirements.

Funding and finance

Changing course can affect your funding. If you receive financial support, such as a student loan, speak to the Student Funding Office before you transfer. You should also check whether the tuition fees are different for your new course.

International students

Speak to Student Visa Services before requesting a transfer as you may be required to apply for a new visa.

How to transfer

  1. Speak to your school office for advice in the first instance.
  2. Your school and faculty will need to agree the transfer.
  3. If the course you want to join is in a different school or faculty, they will also need to agree.
  4. After both schools and faculties have agreed, your current school office will ask you to fill out a transfer form.
  5. You will then receive an email to confirm the change.

For detailed regulations about changing from one undergraduate course to another, read the University’s policy on transferring. (PDF, 112kb)

Edit this page