How to tackle poor behaviour at work

How to tackle poor behaviour ar work

If you are concerned about a situation at work, perhaps how you are being treated, a colleague’s behaviour you have witnessed, or perhaps you have had some negative feedback about your own behaviour, you may be looking for some form of help and guidance.  If you have never used the university’s staff support services before, you may be wondering what would be of most help in your particular circumstances.  The table below sets out the differences between staff counselling and what you can expect from consulting an Acceptable Workplace Behaviour Adviser.

Acceptable Workplace Behaviour Adviser

Staff Counsellor

Can accompany you to formal and informal meetings if needed.

Works exclusively one-to-one with you on counselling premises.

The focus is exclusively on current or recent workplace behaviour issues at UoB.

Can work with a wide range of personal and work-related concerns, both past and present.

Helps to clarify your situation and decide on possible courses of action.

In addition, can help you understand and manage your emotional responses and support you in developing personal resilience.

Advisers are a first port of call so you can discuss a problem with a colleague outside your situation and be assured of a confidential and sympathetic response, as well as some ideas about how you might proceed.  The emphasis is on your choice, and the lowest possible level of intervention to resolve the issues.  Most people will see an Adviser for one or two meetings while they sort out what to do.

Staff counsellors will offer an initial assessment session of an hour and will collaborate with you to agree the scope of the counselling and what you would like to achieve.  Most staff counselling is relatively short term, around 6 hourly sessions, but there is flexibility to have more or less as required.  There can be more attention paid to your subjective responses and impact on your home and personal life if that is causing concern.

If you think that both sources of support would be helpful in combination, there is no problem if you want to get in touch with both an Adviser and the Staff Counselling Service.

It is generally helpful to tell the person concerned at an early stage that the behaviour is upsetting and unwanted and that it must stop. This may be done face to face or in writing and may involve a third party as a mediator.

You are advised to keep a written record of incidents, including time, date, place, a full description of what happened, the names of individuals concerned and witnesses to the incidents.

Where the above steps have failed, you may wish to refer the matter to your supervisor or line manager, where appropriate. It may be possible for him or her to speak informally to the other person.  Ultimately, you can make a formal complaint through Human Resources which will be independently investigated.  For further details see Acceptable Behaviour Policy.