- Funder: NIHR School for Social Care Research
- Principal Applicant: Liz Lloyd
- Co-Researchers: Paul Willis
- Research Centre: Centre for Research in Health and Social Care
The aims of this study are to:
- Develop an evidence base of promising and innovative practice in social work with older people
- Capture the range of settings in which social work with older people is practiced; the range of roles and tasks involved; the diverse range of needs and situations faced and the potential to benefit older people and their families
- Contribute to the development of specialist professional social work practice with older people.
A rapid literature review will be followed by case studies of 4 sites, identified as innovative and promising. Documentary analysis and interviews with selected individuals will focus on the distinctiveness of social work, the knowledge, skills and values required, approaches/models of practice used and the strengths, limitations and challenges of these. We will identify key learning points for social work practice and organisations employing social workers.